Pavilion Digest: December 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: December 2009

Postby admin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:02 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of December 2009.

Adam-Troy

Remakes Continued

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:02 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Source: unca20100401.htm
At the risk of boring the living shit of our host...

...oh, I can think of a number of films I'd love to see remade (by people capable of playing the notes). And I'm not just talking of literary adaptations and historical re-creations, the kind of thing which represent going back to the well rather than trying to reconstitute the water (there's always room for another HAMLET or LES MISERABLES). I'm talking of things that can benefit by being remade with current resources, and current perspectives.

One example would be one of my favorite movies, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. This was the one where Spencer Tracy played a one-armed WWII veteran who stops in an economically depressed flyspeck town to pay his respects to the father of a fallen comrade, and is set upon by town thugs trying to cover up the fact that they murdered the old man for being Japanese in the wake of Pearl Harbor.

Set that in the present day. Make the war the invasion of Iraq instead of WWII. Make the murdered old man a Muslim the thugs murdered in the wake of 9/11. Tie the town's economic woes to the current banking crisis. Cast an actor younger than Tracy was when making that one -- he was really too long in the tooth to be playing that part, even if he nailed it. And, boom, you have a remake of BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK that speaks directly to our time. Whether it's any good or not is another issue: the point is that it COULD be; there's an excuse for making it.

Another. THE 27th DAY. This is the fifties sf film about aliens who want Earth but are too civilized to just invade and take it; instead, they hand five random human beings control over ultimate weapons and inform their respective governments, trusting that humanity will not be able to avoid annihilating itself in the month it will take for those weapons to become inert. The Fifties film was a cold war fable that put all the weapons but one in the hands of white people and/or westerners. (The fifth was put in the hands of a chinese woman who immediately committed suicide; the weapon that almost kills us all is the one given to the Soviet soldier; the one that ultimately saves us is in the hands of a scientist who pretty much magically figures out to hack the controls.) Now, change the makeup of the five who get the weapons. Give one to a native of conflict-torn Africa. Give one to a villager in Afghanistan. Give one to a North Korean subsistence farmer. Give one to a complacent American. Give one to a primitive tribesman in the Amazon. Expensive as all hell? Yeah sure...but I feel confident in my assessment that made by he right people, with the right script, this could blow the original out of the water and be one of the best sf films ever made.

I could go on from there. But I think you get the point. These are not shot by shot PSYCHO remakes. These, and a number of others I could mention, are the kind with an excuse to be made.

That said, I loved every single minute of Jackson's KING KONG. All 180 of them. I didn't think it was too long at all.

600 pages into UNDER THE DOME. Gaaaah. So far, King's best epic novel in a number of years. I am hoping it doesn't fall apart in the last third, as some of his works of late have been known to.

Adam-Troy

Remakes Continued

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:02 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Source: unca20100219.htm
At the risk of boring the living shit of our host...

...oh, I can think of a number of films I'd love to see remade (by people capable of playing the notes). And I'm not just talking of literary adaptations and historical re-creations, the kind of thing which represent going back to the well rather than trying to reconstitute the water (there's always room for another HAMLET or LES MISERABLES). I'm talking of things that can benefit by being remade with current resources, and current perspectives.

One example would be one of my favorite movies, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. This was the one where Spencer Tracy played a one-armed WWII veteran who stops in an economically depressed flyspeck town to pay his respects to the father of a fallen comrade, and is set upon by town thugs trying to cover up the fact that they murdered the old man for being Japanese in the wake of Pearl Harbor.

Set that in the present day. Make the war the invasion of Iraq instead of WWII. Make the murdered old man a Muslim the thugs murdered in the wake of 9/11. Tie the town's economic woes to the current banking crisis. Cast an actor younger than Tracy was when making that one -- he was really too long in the tooth to be playing that part, even if he nailed it. And, boom, you have a remake of BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK that speaks directly to our time. Whether it's any good or not is another issue: the point is that it COULD be; there's an excuse for making it.

Another. THE 27th DAY. This is the fifties sf film about aliens who want Earth but are too civilized to just invade and take it; instead, they hand five random human beings control over ultimate weapons and inform their respective governments, trusting that humanity will not be able to avoid annihilating itself in the month it will take for those weapons to become inert. The Fifties film was a cold war fable that put all the weapons but one in the hands of white people and/or westerners. (The fifth was put in the hands of a chinese woman who immediately committed suicide; the weapon that almost kills us all is the one given to the Soviet soldier; the one that ultimately saves us is in the hands of a scientist who pretty much magically figures out to hack the controls.) Now, change the makeup of the five who get the weapons. Give one to a native of conflict-torn Africa. Give one to a villager in Afghanistan. Give one to a North Korean subsistence farmer. Give one to a complacent American. Give one to a primitive tribesman in the Amazon. Expensive as all hell? Yeah sure...but I feel confident in my assessment that made by he right people, with the right script, this could blow the original out of the water and be one of the best sf films ever made.

I could go on from there. But I think you get the point. These are not shot by shot PSYCHO remakes. These, and a number of others I could mention, are the kind with an excuse to be made.

That said, I loved every single minute of Jackson's KING KONG. All 180 of them. I didn't think it was too long at all.

600 pages into UNDER THE DOME. Gaaaah. So far, King's best epic novel in a number of years. I am hoping it doesn't fall apart in the last third, as some of his works of late have been known to.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 am

Name: Ben Winfield
"One can lament and criticize the situation until the cows come home, but it wont change it, and the notion that it can be solved by a proper application of common sense is more than a little naive."

If Hollywood's attitude is really that fatalistic right now, no wonder there's a VIEW-MASTER feature film in the works.

Frankly, I think I'll stick with being naive.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 am

Name: Ben Winfield
"One can lament and criticize the situation until the cows come home, but it wont change it, and the notion that it can be solved by a proper application of common sense is more than a little naive."

If Hollywood's attitude is really that fatalistic right now, no wonder there's a VIEW-MASTER feature film in the works.

Frankly, I think I'll stick with being naive.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Thanks to Brian from Oberlin and JohnEWilliams for their kind words on 1000 COMIC BOOKS YOU MUST READ.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Thanks to Brian from Oberlin and JohnEWilliams for their kind words on 1000 COMIC BOOKS YOU MUST READ.

Kristian

Remakes

Postby Kristian » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:44 am

Name: Kristian Bland
Short and sweet: I hate remakes, but I loved Battlestar Galactica.

I embrace duality.

Kristian

Remakes

Postby Kristian » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:44 am

Name: Kristian Bland
Short and sweet: I hate remakes, but I loved Battlestar Galactica.

I embrace duality.

FinderDoug

Von Block

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 am

Name: FinderDoug
HARLAN - I'm not usually one for "didja ever cross paths with..." query, but I'm currently trying to run down some specifics on writer Bela Von Block (also credited as B.W. Von Block, Jonathan Black, a couple others), in association with a memoir of my aunt, and I was curious if ye and he had ever crossed paths.

Frankly, I don't even know if I have the right B.W. Von Block - my aunt's acquaintance was a Sergeant in the First Cavalry in Korea in 1950, and while the time frame and his age are right, I haven't found any reference yet connecting the writer and the soldier. Then again, my searches so far only yield two overall: the film director, and the writer.

I'm hitting the Georgetown library on Wednesday to see what I can ferret out, but in the interim, do any bells ring for you?

FinderDoug

Von Block

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 am

Name: FinderDoug
HARLAN - I'm not usually one for "didja ever cross paths with..." query, but I'm currently trying to run down some specifics on writer Bela Von Block (also credited as B.W. Von Block, Jonathan Black, a couple others), in association with a memoir of my aunt, and I was curious if ye and he had ever crossed paths.

Frankly, I don't even know if I have the right B.W. Von Block - my aunt's acquaintance was a Sergeant in the First Cavalry in Korea in 1950, and while the time frame and his age are right, I haven't found any reference yet connecting the writer and the soldier. Then again, my searches so far only yield two overall: the film director, and the writer.

I'm hitting the Georgetown library on Wednesday to see what I can ferret out, but in the interim, do any bells ring for you?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 am

Name: Steve Barber

"The Olympics may cost Vancouver six billion dollars, possibly bankrupting the state"

Um. Frank. No.

First, the cost to Vancouver for the Olympics is projected to be less than C$2B -- that's the total budget. American sponsors alone are contributing more than C$800M. Canada and British Columbia are contributing the costs for road upgrades, etc.

The costs for the Games are also being used to offset costs for the Paralympics, which are essentially being seen as a Co-Event.

I was in Vancouver a month ago -- and with not a single exception found them to be excited about what was coming. (I will grant that most of the people I talked to were in some way connected to tourism, so consider the source).

But the overwhelming sentiment was that "Even if the Games lose a billion dollars, we got three billion dollars worth of publicity and infrastructure improvements out of it".

ATC - Let us know you're final thumbs-up or -down for King's book. I've been tempted to pick it up, but have invested too much time in several recent King novels that went high-and-dry in the last quarter and am getting a little gunshy.

December? F*ck me. December? Really?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 am

"The Olympics may cost Vancouver six billion dollars, possibly bankrupting the state"

Um. Frank. No.

First, the cost to Vancouver for the Olympics is projected to be less than C$2B -- that's the total budget. American sponsors alone are contributing more than C$800M. Canada and British Columbia are contributing the costs for road upgrades, etc.

The costs for the Games are also being used to offset costs for the Paralympics, which are essentially being seen as a Co-Event.

I was in Vancouver a month ago -- and with not a single exception found them to be excited about what was coming. (I will grant that most of the people I talked to were in some way connected to tourism, so consider the source).

But the overwhelming sentiment was that "Even if the Games lose a billion dollars, we got three billion dollars worth of publicity and infrastructure improvements out of it".

ATC - Let us know you're final thumbs-up or -down for King's book. I've been tempted to pick it up, but have invested too much time in several recent King novels that went high-and-dry in the last quarter and am getting a little gunshy.

December? F*ck me. December? Really?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 am

"...you're final thumbs-up..."

(And if you ARE final thumbs-up it will be something completely different.)

Erm. "Your".

Pfeh.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 am

"...you're final thumbs-up..."

(And if you ARE final thumbs-up it will be something completely different.)

Erm. "Your".

Pfeh.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”