Pavilion Digest: February 2008

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: February 2008

Postby admin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of February 2008.

DTS

Frank Chambers

Postby DTS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 am

Name: DTS
Source: unca20080219.htm
FRANK (Chambers): As my brother once said, when still in adolescence, eat my crusty shorts.
-DTS (who is absenting himself for the weekend)

Barney Dannelke

Character reference

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:21 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Just wanted to go on record and say two things.

I've never had any problems with any of my dealings with Stealth, Cemetery Dance, Subterranean Press or Pulphouse. I say that both in my capacity as a private collector and as a professional full time book dealer. I ship between fifty and sixty books every couple of days, so I'm no dabbler.

And, IN PARTICULAR - I have never EVER had any problems with Dean Wesley Smith. Not when I was buying leather limiteds and they were a going concern as PULPHOUSE and not when I was buying remaindered overstock on eBay ten years after the fact. I know, "your mileage may vary" and all that and it's entirely possible that someone had a bad day or a bad experience - but I've dealt with a decent percentage of these ventures and feel I've seen the spectrum and I think Dean is, Very Much, a stand up guy.

If Dean ever sees this - Dean, please don't get caught doing anything stupid or sordid in the next 30 days, or if you must, call Harlan for bail and not me. - B ;-)

Disclaimer - I have ***NO IDEA*** if every Pulphouse contributor got paid, or if they did, if everyone got their fair share or whatever was promised but I was (and remain) amazed that that thing functioned at all - and managed to put out as much quality material as it did. Was it the Arkham House of it's decade? I don't know. But they're wonderful publishing artifacts and until someone shows me photos or youtubage of Dean doing something unspeakable with Joe Lansdale and a mallard, well, until that day, Dean's OK by me.

- Barney Dannelke

Jan

Possible misuse of the expression

Postby Jan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:01 am

Name: Jan
Let me know if I'm wrong, everybody, but has Harlan been (innocently) misusing the expression? I would think that, by definition, thread drifts can not occur on unthreaded, topic-free boards such as this, as opposed to the Webderland Forums, which do have specific and specified topics you can drift away from. The difference is that in a threaded forum when someone opens a new thread, he or she also gives that thread its unalterable subject line. If something doesnt fit in, you have to open a new thread to accomodate it.

I think in a public meeting place like the Pavilion there is simply digression or whatever you would call such a thing in a conversation. Any of the more focussed discussion here might conceivably be called a thread, but it's not technically a thread, it's just a topic/discussion (interrupted by unrelated posts). On a threaded forum, a thread drift is usually a negative thing, while on a guestbook-like board its equivalent is part of what's expected.

Let me know if I'm wrong, and greetings to Harlan. (By the way, Harlan, I was wrong, the Italian book is not *officially* available at half price, it's just been discounted few stores. I wouldn't want to give you any wrong ideas about the business practices of European publishers. Your copies are secure.)

Jan

P.S. Harlan's youtube message is being linked to from more blogs every day with recommendations such as: "I have no idea who this guy is, but I love him." (Only the five most important websites with links to the video can be seen below the video.) In addition to the 280 comments posted on youtube, a lot of the blogs have user comments of their own about the clip. The video is also being referenced in discussion threads of various kinds. Official access counter is at 107,407. As far as I know, every viewer is counted only once or once a day or week, so that number is pretty solid and hard to manipulate in even the smallest of ways. (As Harlan can no doubt attest.) ;-)

Oops HARLAN: Possible lawyer alert - Harlan's full IHNM&IMS game intro is now also on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZrHBqVtzg

Jan

correction

Postby Jan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 am

Name: Jan
the expression "thread drift"

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:48 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
Frank Chambers:

Your meter, frankly, sucks. Try, "That is the tenor of you all."

You're welcome.

D.

Dennis C

RKO Films

Postby Dennis C » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:23 am

Name: Dennis C
For all you Lewton Fans:

Today RKO announced plans to remake a bunch of films in their library, including SEVENTH VICTIM, BEDLAM, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE and BODY SNATCHER.
So how bad do you think these remakes will be?
They're calling the company Roseblood. Ha ha. ugh.

Scott Vander Werf

Harlan Ellison mentioned in Paolo Bagigalupi interview

Postby Scott Vander Werf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:36 am

Name: Scott Vander Werf
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/bl ... olo-b.html

Paolo: "Harlan Ellison called me up out of the blue. It was soon after the short story had come out and I was in my house mopping the floor and I get this phone call and this man on the other end was like 'This is Harlan Ellison, do you know who I am?' and I was like 'Yeah, yeah, um yeah.' So he says, 'Go get your story.' So I do. He then proceeds to basically critique every single aspect of my entire story.

He starts out by saying 'At first I thought that you were some sort of professional writing under a pseudonym because, you know, nobody has a name like Bacigalupi, I know the Abbot and Costello routine blah blah blah...' He goes off about how Paolo Bacigalupi is obviously a pseudonym or a joke name of some sort. Now he's getting a bit worked up. He says, 'You know, I thought you were a professional, and then I got to page 5 and right down there at the bottom you used the word jerked... and then 2 sentences later you used the word jerky--you took all of the power out of the fucking word!'

I'm sitting there on the line sort of terrified of this man just haranguing me. At the end of that whole conversation - a conversation in which he critiques, line by line, my entire story - he finishes up by saying, 'Well you got some potential, but don't write in genre, it's a waste of time. Don't get stuck in it like I got stuck in it.' And then he hangs up."

Duane

A Boy and His Dog

Postby Duane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 am

Name: Duane
So I'm driving past the Nuart Theater in West Los Angeles (corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Sawtelle near the 405) when my eyes wander over to the outside wall where various movie posters are displayed.

And what do I see?

Why, a poster for the great 1975 movie "A Boy And His Dog," of course!

A quick check of their website (http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Films/f ... sp?id=8596) shows that, indeed, the movie is coming "soon."

I've never seen it before. Looking forward to it.

robochrist

A Boy Named Bradbury

Postby robochrist » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Name: Rob
Recently, I was looking at a lot of stuff by Bradbury. Several episodes he did on Hitchcock, and a good number of his short stories.

I was comparing notes to those in his run with Rod Serling, reading about how Bradbury disapproved of Serling's treatment of his Twilight Zone 'I Sing The Body Electric'.

Now, there was a time when that TZ episode was the only way I knew Bradbury. And it made me dislike Bradbury, feeling this was WAY too much saccharine.

But it was SERLING who played up the sugar. Bradbury was actually very dark, with a biting sense of humor - as evident in his Hitchcock shows (The Jar, The Life Work of Juan Diaz). Serling took that out of ISTBE, and made all into flowers and sunshine. I suspect that was the source - at least in part - of Bradbury's objection.

Harlan:

Snow White aside, what were the highest points for you in Walt Disney's output? (In both animation and live action)

KOS

What is it with the Frank's?

Postby KOS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Name: KOS
First we have own beloved Frank Church.

Then we get Franky4Posts.

Now we get Frank Chambers, who seems to think sniping from cover makes one ballsy.

I know, I know: Don'r Feed The Troll.

Sorry, but: Frank Chambers, I am calling you out on this one.

Yo're a coward.

If I grovel or crawl, I'm fine with being called on it. When I have done neither and am falsely accused of it by a ballless wonder, my gorge rises.

You're a coward, Frank Chambers. Show me where I have groveled or crawled. Come on, prove you are more than a pimple on the underside of a cancerous "growth".

Chew on that. Troll.

So to speak.

KOS

K. M. Kirby

re: RKO/Lewton Remakes

Postby K. M. Kirby » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Name: K. M. Kirby
I'd like to see them try the "Blair Witch" handheld gimmick on the Lewton remakes. It seems to have worked for It Came from Beneath the Sea (as Cloverfield) and even George Romero uses the pseudodocumentary approach on his latest, not yet in general release.

Tony Rabig

Edit in JAWS, and misc

Postby Tony Rabig » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:17 pm

Name: Tony Rabig
Couple of things:

Harlan, thanks for the pointer toward The Rose, by Harness. Had never gotten around to that one.

Whoever had asked about Sarban's The Sound of His Horn a while back -- Munsey's has posted another Sarban novel called Ringstones.

And for my money one of the more annoying changes I've seen in a television broadcast of a movie is what's been done with Jaws. At the end of the picture, when Roy Scheider's shooting at the shark, there's now a voice-over dubbed in which I'm certain was not in the original theatrical release or in televised showings until a couple of years ago. Now, they have Scheider saying "Come on, show me the tank," and "Blow up!" Which I guess means that the viewer is now regarded as too stupid to understand where that explosion comes from. I first noticed this on, I think, an A&E showing; it also showed up on TNT, and Turner Classic Movies has just shown the picture and damned if it isn't in there too. My memory ain't what it used to be, but I'd swear those lines weren't in the theatrical release -- anybody out there remember for sure?

And bests to all,

--tr

David Loftus

dub da-dub dub . . . dub da-dub dub DUH!!!

Postby David Loftus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Name: David Loftus
On the other hand, with just the right movie, censorious dubbing can ADD to the fun.

I will never forget an airing of "Blazing Saddles" I saw on network TV in the early 1980s when I was living in Boston.

The odd thing was, despite all the other things that got changed, every single "nigger" stayed in (see below).

You will recall when Bart first meets the Cisco Kid, drying out in a jail cell, the new sheriff asks "What's there to do in this town?" The Kid says, "Play chess . . . screw . . . " and Bart says, rather hastily, "Let's play chess." In this version, the Kid said, "Play chess . . . saloon . . . "

Shortly after, when Bart goes for his first stroll down the sidewalk, he says to the first old lady he meets, "Good mornin', ma'am, and isn't it a LOVELY mornin'?" Her response in the original version is "Up yers, nigger." In this airing, it became "Outta mah way, nigger."

Madeleine Kahn's character was always referred to as "Miss Lily von Ssshhhh" -- despite the fact that her full surname appears on a poster outside the place, and I doubt the average American even knows what "shtup" means, let alone would take any offense at it.

These and other bowdlerizations ended up making an old and familiar movie even funnier, in a way.

Jack Skillingstead

Tony Rabig

Postby Jack Skillingstead » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:04 pm

Name: Jack Skillingstead
My recollection is that he says: "Smile, you son of a bitch!"

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”