THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 am

Barber, did you see the Senate hearing with the Generals?

Hannah Arant talks about the banality of evil. Unless Germans are some other breed, we all are capable of evil. That's all I am saying. I have military in my family as well. I kind of wish I had entered the coast guard. I could have retired, with a good pension.

Barber is a good soul so I'm sure his father is peaches as well.

The brass I feel sorry for are the ones who speak out and get hosed by the civilians.

I will let Barber cool off, but I do not hate all military.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 am

FrankChurch wrote: I will let Barber cool off, but I do not hate all military.

It's not your prerogative to "let" me cool off. It's your prerogative to apologize for brutally painting thousands of honest men and women as approving of rape. Thinking it's "great", in fact. That's worse than ugly.

What you said: "the same brass that think it is great that our guys rape female servicepersons."

This is unforgivably narrow minded, judgmental and completely obscuring any legitimate point you're trying to make. Nobody in the military leadership thinks rape is "great", but you're predisposed to hate them regardless because they're in the wrong class of people. You have issues with a handful of men and women, so you condemn ALL of them with a vile accusation.

You obviously cannot fathom how offensive it is, but you've essentially called all jewish men Nazis because a few were complicit.

By maintaining your position, and even doubling down on it, your own insensitivity is as great as the "brass" you revile so hatefully.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 am

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, did you see the Senate hearing with the Generals?

Hannah Arant talks about the banality of evil. Unless Germans are some other breed, we all are capable of evil. That's all I am saying. I have military in my family as well. I kind of wish I had entered the coast guard. I could have retired, with a good pension.

Barber is a good soul so I'm sure his father is peaches as well.

The brass I feel sorry for are the ones who speak out and get hosed by the civilians.

I will let Barber cool off, but I do not hate all military.

Frank

Let me introduce you to a word and a few phrases that may keep you out ta this kind of trouble next time you choose to do something like ya did yesterday. Some, not all, a few. Those words well used will let us know that you realize everything isn't so black and white.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:14 pm

And Frank's generalizations in this matter surprise us how, after sweeping generalizations about EVERY OTHER GROUP HE HAS EVER COMMENTED ON?

C'mon. After fifty viewings of Citizen Kane, you really can't still be so astounded that Rosebud is a sled.

And no, I'm not marking the big reveal of a 73 year old movie as a spoiler.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:26 pm

FinderDoug wrote:And Frank's generalizations in this matter surprise us how, after sweeping generalizations about EVERY OTHER GROUP HE HAS EVER COMMENTED ON?

Now, Doug. As you're aware we all chose lots to determine who was going to tip at the next Church Windmill, and mine came up the long straw. Having to delicately weave my desire to launch into batting practice with his proverbials and the necessity for me to keep my Moderator's perspective on the entire discussion has been enough of an issue. He's gone offensively beyond the pale before, but this time it's my turn at bat -- you, Lori and Goldberg having done your previous duty were exempt from the drawing.

Personally, if you haven't noticed, I found his general sweeping adolescent assertion that military brass condone and endorse rape as a soldier's right to be so offensively outrageous that I dutifully strapped on my waders and stepped in. I think his inability to respond, apologize and understand the level of offense he has given -- once again -- to be a solid indicator of his disregard for anything anyone else has to say. And I've been one of his most stalwart defenders through the years, taking a helluva lot of heat from people who are true and trusted friends as a result.

But again, it was simply my turn to be offended and according to Frank unnecessarily so since I "just don't get it" (marca registrada).
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 pm

At least you didn't get accused of being overwrought. :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 pm

I do not paint all military servicepeople as being pro-rape, so if that was the perception, then I apologize for implying badly.

The military did deal very well with one general, a black general, which is problematic. I feel good that Kirsten Gillibrand and others are keeping the military honest. Seeing Kelly Ayote and the Dem women on the same page was helpful.

The real problem is we punish the military people who speak out and we give alms to those who do bad. Once, again, I do not think all military are bad.

I only wish Cris Godspeed.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 pm

That was fairly muted Finderdoug. You ill.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 am

Steve and Cris,

Been off the nets for several days, so I just read about Cris' test, you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are both wonderful, have been wonderful to me, and if anything is needed that I can do or provide, you have only to ask.

Diane

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 am

I hope for the best on the Barbers front.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:43 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I hope for the best on the Barbers front.

Thank you Frank.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am

Great Thom Hartmann show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXoKe_QI-Fs

Snowdon is going to Russia. Hell, they have freer media than we do.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 am

Let's all hug the Barbers. Great people.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Snowdon is going to Russia. Hell, they have freer media than we do.

Your hyperbole is showing Frank. Russia is a country run by ex-KGB thugs. The press is tightly controlled. You should get out more.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”