Comics. What are they good for?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Carstonio

Postby Carstonio » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:33 am

Ace_Arn wrote:I have never had a conversation with a stranger in a comic book store. Tried, yes, but succeded no. (Except with store owners.) And I've never seen 2 random comic fans, complete strangers to each other, spark up a conversation either. Even eye contact and a nod is difficult to get. There's almost an aura of shame in the shops I go to; nerd self-loathing. So everyone is quiet as a mouse.

In the record shops I frequent however, it's not hard at all to get a conversation going.

Direct corrolation between the medium collected and a person's social comfort zone?

In another thread, I speculated that there may be a high incidence of Asperger's and other autism spectrum disorders among science fiction fans. The same may be true of comic book fans. I suspect that I have Asperger's and I've had a peripheral interest in both fields for some time.

Ace_Arn

Postby Ace_Arn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 am

Hey neat, I have a similar disorder. Not AS precisely but a touch of something like it. I'm not the world' best chatter, and my conversations are very brief. But I try.

Your theory probably has some truth to it.

Return to “Pop Culture”