WELCOME NEW PAVILION VISITORS! A WEBDERLAND FORUM PRIMER

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

My Visit to Webderland Forums is for

Business
2%
Pleasure
50%
Both and I do not have any fruits, plants or domesticated animals.
48%

Total votes: 54

JaySmith

WELCOME NEW PAVILION VISITORS! A WEBDERLAND FORUM PRIMER

Postby JaySmith » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:19 am

If you're reading this, you've taken us up on the offer of visiting and, perhaps participating in discussions of life, the univere and everything. Not only do we discuss all things Ellison, but we actually go into aspects of our own lives, the movies we've seen, our secret desire to see Ann Coulter in studded leather, and much much more.

It may not have the exciting allure of Harlan reading your golden text on a black background moments after you strike the POST key, but it does allow you to hold discussions with more frequency than the Pony Express. You are not held back by the one-post-per-day rule. At the same time, however, there is a greater potential for responses. Beware: We love opinions in the same way snakes love mice. If you're into that, you've struck gold, baby. If you just want to spout dimestore book poetry and tell people to shut up, maybe you should tread lightly because you'll soon be out of your depth.

I certainly am not your guide or cruise director, but I would like you to feel as though there's more to the experience than entering the dark Pavilion. Many guests and newcomers seem to thinks its some free admission sideshow attraction where they get to rattle the great white ape in his cage and see him roar from a place of safety. I expect you are not here for that.

Once you get to know these folks I think you'll agree: You'll love most of them, you'll hate some of them, but they are FAR better people to talk to than the faceless, nameless spawn of the net one is used to encountering.

Welcome again. The minibar is over near Frank (he's the one spouting Chomsky at the top of his lungs) bathrooms are to the right and if you have technical problems - see Lynn or Rick (Rick is the one with the pants up over his belly up top communicating with extraterrestirals. Lynn is the one in medival armor challenging Barney to try and kick her ass.) If you hang out, you may even hear Cookie sing a few numbers on the bandstand.

I'm off to steal some comics from Finn's weekly stash.

cavalaxis

Postby cavalaxis » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:40 am

re: Challenging Barney to a duel: I never! Well, only the once and then only because he looked like he needed cheering up.

I wish we could entice some of the more loquacious individuals from the Pavillion to the new forums. Rick, perhaps a banner for this site on that side of the fence?

Yours in service,
Lynn
(a.k.a. L.)
~-~ http://www.fireofthemind.com ~-~
Mad(adj.) Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence.
The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce

rich

Postby rich » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:03 am

Very nice intro, Jay.

As Frankie say, Welcome to the Pleasure Dome.

JosephFinn

Postby JosephFinn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:53 am

Coulter can be in leather only if she's being dragged to the stocks. Oh, hi folks! Welcome to the cantankerous side of my head!
"Face it. Baseball without the Yankees would be like "Casablanca" without the Nazis." - Jim Caple

Hathor

IF U R RIN TIN TIN OR ANNN BOLYN

Postby Hathor » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:26 am

i only find myself writing this for only a couple of reasons:

THOSE OF US

who LOOOOOOVE that which is COrdwainer Byrd or Ellis Hart

(IF "BLACK TOP" with that WHOOOLE roman a NON clef lets make a no n caligula movie REALLY IS YOURS....COULD**i** selll it HERE)

If this PLACE is going to b d x......o friggin. k the whole "evolve or die" is done wot wit inflection...

F NO, well, heck! jOHN RIDLEY, WITH DENNIS MILLER, ON CNBC(SOUNDS LIKE A CLUE GAME :lol: )

We will bury HimsElf by a river, so most B ombastic Seer can make the coffin sit by a river so the millstone can grind an axe. Wot with the coffin turning round so much from alll these peope thinkig they know THE WORD. Ain't it like a wish thru a fun-house mirror?

NOW i know why people pray dey issssn't no hnwummmun

rich

Postby rich » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:18 pm

Is it just me or am I the only one that feels like that guy in the hearing aid commercial of yore:

"What is she saying?"

Micheal

Postby Micheal » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:45 pm

Hey, how do you get your signature up?

I've placed my text in the appropriate box, checked to enable the signature to appear, then nothing!

What have I done wrong? I'm a simple man; clean, decent, a good harmonica player and a swell catch. Hell, with the exception of those two opera singers, most peole who've met me think they'd be likely to speak to me again.

(Sob) It's just not fair, is all (Snorf!, Sniffle).

Micheal

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:42 am

Clayton_George

Postby Clayton_George » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:10 am

Boy, this place is dusty. Doesn't anyone bother to clean up after they post?? :?:

Gwyneth M905

The wicked witch of the East lends her broomstick

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:12 pm

and a dust pan to sweep up the place.

Well then, that's better now, isn't it.

My pretties....

alexanderthesoso

Postby alexanderthesoso » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 pm

What is this pavillion I hear tell about?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 am

alexanderthesoso wrote:What is this pavillion I hear tell about?

It's 'UNCA HARLAN'S ART DECO DINING PAVILION", which is the main posting board here on harlanellison.com. It's so named in honor of the breakfast nook in Harlan and Susan's home.

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

alexanderthesoso

Postby alexanderthesoso » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 am

aha. I see I did not explore the site fully.

BTW, on the poll, I actually do have some fruit to declare. Where do I check my jackfruits?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am

alexanderthesoso wrote:aha. I see I did not explore the site fully.

BTW, on the poll, I actually do have some fruit to declare. Where do I check my jackfruits?

Those are jackfruits? Dang, I thought you said jackboots!

You'll find the Pavilion to be an at-times confusing mess of a party -- something like standing in a kitchen catching snippets of conversation from twenty different guests. It's a good time as long as you adhere to the rules and understand that Harlan usually checks in once every day or so, and may respond to something you've written if you decide to post.

Here on the Forum the topics are broader and you can post as freely as you like, as long as you're relatively polite about your disagreements. I don't enforce too many rules these days, but deliberate insults/flames are cheerfully deleted. Otherwise feel free to comment or create your own threads.

There good people of all political and philosophical positions here, so expect some serious (and sometimes not-so-serious) give and take. Just give the other person some respect and you'll not hear from me except with my own comment on things.

Thus endeth the sermon.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 am

Actually, Harlan doesn't come here.

Return to “General”