THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm

This will put our problems in perspective. Try being Junior Seau's mother right now:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47266262/ns/nfl/

A loving mother is a joy. This has been the year of death.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Barber, sorry about your Dad. Now I know why you are so touchy about criticism of the military. Anyway, it aint about the people, it's about the policy.

I do hear that cures for the disease are close. We can both pray on that.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Steve. I too am sorry to hear about your dad. I will include all you guys in my prayers.

The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago has a Parkinson's program and does quite a lot with their patienets. I believe my doctor, James Sliwa, is involved in Parkinson's. The Institute's # is 312 238-1000. Im sure they would be glad to provide info, etc.

Take care, DB

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Scientist Jonathan Haidt came up with a sick plot idea, but it is wicked: A lady who is vegetarian works in a morgue, where she's becomes curious about what meat tastes like, so she starts to eat the corpses. She has a taste for human flesh, but still rejects animals. Like I said, wicked.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Thank you guys. We all go through it, it's just my turn. No way to expect it is easy or facile or anything other than endurable as long as you make the most of the time you've got. Hopefully we will have many, many years left to us.

But I appreciate it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 pm

The stupidity is CEASELESS!

Just saw news about the billboard discrediting global warming, put up by the Conservative think tank called the Heartland Institute. They were forced to take it down - an image of Ted Kaczynski with the slogan, "I still believe in global warming, do YOU?"

They said they would not apologize for running the ad, and they will continue efforts to communicate the "REALIST" message!!!

Scientists aren't Realists, but Conservatives ARE???

It's always been the case. Having recently been immersed in Harlan's PWA, his line "We must have knowledge about ourselves if we are to survive" hits me at the core and intensifies my anger and frustration with these Morlocks - these groups who represent corporate interests and know full well they are misleading the gullible, uninformed masses.

It's pathetic.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 am

Climate Change, Science and Policy (from last october) Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
from the Harvard channel on ytube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoReNulMpeo

Carl Wunsch makes many of the points that concern me most.
One of those not often stressed; population itself as the greatest driver of all man-made change.

Hence the bizzare Heartland Institute billboard.
Kaczynski was into the "man's overpopulation and his industry are killing the planet we need to live"

-------------------
that the rise in temps preceded co2 rise by as much as 700 years (one of Gore's graphs in "inconvienient") was in the news last month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... NTCMP=SRCH

"A scientific conundrum that has puzzled climate experts for years may have been solved with the publication of research showing how an increase in carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere contributed to rising temperatures millions of years ago.

The paper, published on Wednesday in the journal Nature, has wide-ranging implications for climate science, because the question of whether a rise in carbon dioxide leads to an increase in temperature – or whether rising temperatures lead to an increase in carbon dioxide – has been seized on by climate sceptics eager to disprove a link between atmospheric carbon and global warming."
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm

We've had the hottest winter on record. Nuff said.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 am

I put up a new gallery of images:

http://markimages.zenfolio.com/p833201196

And, yes, if anyone should feel so inclined, my work is available for purchase.

Enjoy

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Ezra, put your money where your mouth is, buy something of Mark's?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed May 09, 2012 1:34 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, put your money where your mouth is, buy something of Mark's?

Well now Frank, can you provide us with the proof that you've done the same?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Lori, wink.

-------------

Lori, on another topic, are you in Lynn Woolsey's district?

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:I put up a new gallery of images:

http://markimages.zenfolio.com/p833201196

And, yes, if anyone should feel so inclined, my work is available for purchase.

Enjoy

Mark, I just enjoyed a quick visit through some of the photography portfolios on your web site, and I think you have quite an eye for texture and contrast and composition. I particularly liked (for no immediate reason I can articulate) your group "Black & White Two". I don't have time to look at all your portfolios, but I'll definitely make a point of visiting again to see everything. Thanks muchly!
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lori, wink.

No winks on this one Frank. It's a little hypocritical to ask people to do something you aren't willing to do yourself.
-------------

Lori, on another topic, are you in Lynn Woolsey's district?

Nope, She had Marin and Sonoma counties which are a little North of San Francisco. Nancy Pelosi and Barbra Boxer are my Senate representatives.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, put your money where your mouth is, buy something of Mark's?

Poor Frank always a day late and a dollar short. I am the proud owner of Mark's novel COMPASS REACH which I recently secured from Amazon (Mark that will explain the royalty check for 14 cents you received :D ). I have a small bookcase built by my grandfather who was a carpenter and a furniture maker (and a Baptist minister). It has found its function as my "to be read" shelf and sits at the foot of my bed. CR is perched majestically between a Dickens novel and a Clifford Simak novel on the top shelf. Right now I'm in the middle of managing a test and conducting training classes for some newbies (the first we've had in a while) and so my pleasure reading is done in twenty minute bursts. I want to save Mark's novel for later in the summer when I am free to practice total immersion again. Looking forward to it!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”