THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Yeah but the police here are making ominous noises.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc- ... story.html

With the crackdowns elsewhere they will be under pressure to do likewise here.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Inevitably, the camping out will have to stop and something more substantial will have to take its place. A recent poll taken just before the Wall Street 'cleanup' shows public support for OWS dropping, and it was fairly tenuous in the first place, because of all the negative and mostly made-up bullshit about the behavior of the protesters. I think the organization knows this, and in my opinion took the wise course of moving on rather than making the evacuation an issue in and of itself. But clearly they need to keep some amount of momentum, or by Spring all will be lost.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:15 am

John E Williams wrote:Inevitably, the camping out will have to stop and something more substantial will have to take its place. A recent poll taken just before the Wall Street 'cleanup' shows public support for OWS dropping, and it was fairly tenuous in the first place, because of all the negative and mostly made-up bullshit about the behavior of the protesters. I think the organization knows this, and in my opinion took the wise course of moving on rather than making the evacuation an issue in and of itself. But clearly they need to keep some amount of momentum, or by Spring all will be lost.

Time for them to start producing candidates.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 am

Today's lead editorial in the Post is a call for the police to think about "cleaning things up". The writer shows an obligatory but slight regret that the NYC police arrested reporters trying to cover their "clean-up" but overall praises them for their actions. Pretty predictable stuff really.

Mark you're right. The problem is that many of the constituencies (sp?) of the Occupy movement regard voting as "selling out". Cue Frank...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:49 am

There was a massive vote to bring back collective bargaining in Ohio, so obviously we still vote. Sure, the voting is mostly rigged, but we can change that.

---------------

Preach on brother Keith:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 96898.html

-------------

Camping out is an important aspect to the occupation, because to continue massive protests you have to have somewhere free to sleep, eat, read, fuck. If protesters are forced not to sleep there, they have to pay for somewhere to sleep, meaning they have to find work, which takes away their ability to continue the 24/7 protest, which is the point. It is a clever way to stop our freedoms.

They arrest people who protest on a bridge, but they don't mind tying up the whole city to make another shitty Batman movie. Oh, joy.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 am

Camping out is an important aspect to the occupation, because to continue massive protests you have to have somewhere free to sleep, eat, read, fuck. If protesters are forced not to sleep there, they have to pay for somewhere to sleep, meaning they have to find work, which takes away their ability to continue the 24/7 protest, which is the point. It is a clever way to stop our freedoms.

They don't have to camp out at all. They're the 99%, remember? I'm sure that most of the people in all the "occupied" cities who do pay for the places in which they eat, sleep, etc., will be happy to take in one or more protestors for as long as the protests go on. Shouldn't be any problem finding such free lodgings, now should it?

Jesus, Mary, & Joseph...
--tr

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

I wish it worked that way Tony.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm

-sigh-

I am filled with despair at the thought that most of the Occupy protestors think like you do Frank. Do you honestly think that society owes you free digs so you can tell it how effed up it is?

However, in my conversations with some of them here I was interested to discover that quite a few have day jobs and are spending their nights at the encampment. Not all the protestors are as pure as you Frank. They work. They pay their own way. Fine Americans.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:05 am

This article articulates what the OWS movement has been talking about, though with many voices, some contradictory. It's called The Quiet Coup, and it's about how the financial sector has captured the political process, a development one used to see only in banana republics:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... 0.facebook

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Ezra, they cannot camp 24/7 if they can't find outside money. This is like someone getting a grant. Think of it that way.

The point was to occupy, so that the movement would have teeth.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:02 am

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, they cannot camp 24/7 if they can't find outside money. This is like someone getting a grant. Think of it that way.

The point was to occupy, so that the movement would have teeth.

It's just another example of the Moocher Class sucking the precious bodily fluids from the Producer Class. :D

(I'm practicing for when the Republicans take over.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am

Ezra, you and neo-con Jim can snuggle.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:49 am

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, you and neo-con Jim can snuggle.

Oh, no. no. no. That would be men touching and...

(I'm practicing as well, though in truth Jim doesn't have that kind of a hangup. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:55 pm

And I will, as always, be on the alert for the Communist Homosexual Conspiracy from Outer Space!

Their applications are just too damn hard to find around here.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey Barber, just out of curiosity, what does your buddy think of Mormon Milt? Real Christian?

Return to “General”