Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Depression

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Good lord.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Harlan didn't say a word to any of us in that post on the pav. hmm.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 pm

I had decided to go back on my Zoloft. Cause depression came back. Was thinking some fairly suicidal thoughts. "Not waving but drowning" Then I decided I am a Christian and I believe. So I am going to listen to Frank Church, our local resident expert on everything, and not take my meds any more.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:41 pm

diane bartels wrote: Ques. Is a 19 year able bodied nephew of above average intelligence to be expected to drive himself to his jujitsu in his own blue Mustang, if aunt of neph. really thinks her docs should hospitalize her for a bit, give her the tests they want without her having to worry about driving back sedated from them, find out the cause of pain and increased depression, and do some intensive pt, ot etc.. Specially if said aunt has been driving said nephew every fricken weekday when he decides to go for the last month or so, on my gas with like maybe thanks twice from either the neph or the sis, mom of the neph.
ask the doc.
diane bartels wrote:I had decided to go back on my Zoloft. Cause depression came back. Was thinking some fairly suicidal thoughts. "Not waving but drowning" Then I decided I am a Christian and I believe. So I am going to listen to Frank Church, our local resident expert on everything, and not take my meds any more.
ask the doc.
FrankChurch wrote: Drugs sometimes do more harm than good, but if you need them, go head.
ask the doc.
follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am

Coffee is one thing the Brits cannot do. It is what I miss most about home.

I didn't drink coffee until my fourth year at University. Before that, I slept through every class. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:52 am

diane bartels wrote:Ques. Is a 19 year able bodied nephew of above average intelligence to be expected to drive himself to his jujitsu in his own blue Mustang,

Well, yeah.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:48 pm

You won't need any drugs if you watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9N ... re=related
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Diane, there is a valid debate about drugs. My only point. Depression is a complex subject, which I agree with. If Zoloft helps, take it.

We need you here Diane.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Thank you Frank and Ezra. Uploaded the vid to Twitter Ez. That should give the TeePees who follow me pause

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 am

For the really hard core depressives there's the strong stuff-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZAGBL6 ... re=related
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Personally, i feel that Depression is a symptom of oppression. I don't feel the medications would work. Case in point. In Miami, in January, 1999, you could not get into an Emergency room, even if you were dying. In Miami, there are no less than 7 hospitals. Why? for some reason, the ERs were overloaded with attempted suicides. It was so excessive, that patients were only medicated if there was danger of suicide or homocide. They even did a radio program on how to detox from cold turkey meds.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Personally, I feel that Depression is a symptom of oppression. I don't feel the medications would work. Case in point. In Miami, in January, 1999, you could not get into an Emergency room, even if you were dying. In Miami, there are no less than 7 hospitals. Why? for some reason, the ERs were overloaded with attempted suicides. It was so excessive, that patients were only medicated if there was danger of suicide or homocide. They even did a radio program on how to detox from cold turkey meds.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

My posts are echoing.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 pm

A fascinating and disturbing review/article about medications and mental illness (including depression) in this week's NY review of Books.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive ... lness-why/

What is going on here? Is the prevalence of mental illness really that high and still climbing? Particularly if these disorders are biologically determined and not a result of environmental influences, is it plausible to suppose that such an increase is real? Or are we learning to recognize and diagnose mental disorders that were always there? On the other hand, are we simply expanding the criteria for mental illness so that nearly everyone has one? And what about the drugs that are now the mainstay of treatment? Do they work? If they do, shouldn’t we expect the prevalence of mental illness to be declining, not rising?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I am impressed (not positively) that there are now drugs on the market -- advertised on TV -- specifically to combat the side-effects of antidepressants.

Naturally, these drugs have their own potential side-effects, like increasing suidical thoughts. Isn't that why I'm supposed to be taking the Zoloft or whatever in the first place???

And each pairing of drugs introduces its own set of side-effects. You could easily take a (reasonably) healthy, stable person, & a few prescriptions later create a raving dysfunctional loon.

I'm depressive, yet three or four sessions chatting with a good therapist snaps everything back into focus. Easily half the wacky people I've met over the years seem to show rapid improvement with talk therapy, but the typical HMO seems more likely to shell out for pills than shrinks.

I have a bad back -- runs in the family. I could get meds & ignore it; I could have surgery & go for a 20% chance of making it better (30% chance of making it worse), plus recovery time & rehab. Instead, I go to the chiro maybe once a month & feel pretty good; if I went once a week, I'd likely feel great, near-constantly. Naturally, my HMO doesn't cover chiropractic unless I'm sent there by someone who'd rather foist pills on me. Maybe my stubbornness is a syndrome...

If you don't like hanging out with random groups of strangers, you apparently have "social anxiety disorder"... or you actually enjoy staying home alone with a good book. (Maybe reading is a psychological disorder nowadays.) As I recall, one recommended drug's "common minor" side-effects include nausea, diarrhea, hallucinations, depression, interference with orgasm... yeah, sounds like a REAL good time, just the sort of person I'd like to hang out with. :lol:

Radio diva Randi Rhodes nailed it some years back, picking on "restless leg syndrome." "It's your legs telling you to get off your ass & go for a walk!!"

Return to “General”