Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Depression

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I'd guess the depression has something to do with age issues as well. He gets sicker easier, there's the issues of having to go to the doctor all the time, something that would surely make me depressed--I have only been to the doctor two times in my life!

He misses his old food choices, being that he is a gourmand. Misses his friends that died. These are all issues. Harlan is one complex charactor.

You know, I'd be astounded if that weren't a huge part of it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:17 am

I bet there are few if any depressed christians. wink.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 am

FrankChurch wrote:I bet there are few if any depressed christians. wink.

Frank

I mean this in the nicest way possible. SHUT THE FUCK UP! I'm trying to help people understand depression and all it's facets, and this kind of shit isn't going to help. My thread, so please try to play by my rules.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am

Yes Frank, there are depressed Christians. And bipolar christians. And schizophrenic christians. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 am

And to piggyback on Chuck's statement...

Unless Christians have some how become something other than human, there are mentally ill Christians. Either that or my dad has backslid to the point of no return.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 am

Lori Koonce wrote:i mean this in the nicest way possible. SHUT THE FUCK UP! I'm trying to help people understand depression and all it's facets, and this kind of shit isn't going to help. My thread, so please try to play by my rules.

Lori - I appreciate and support the sentiment, but a little over the top. You should have escalated to me first.

Frank - While I don't agree with the whole of Lori's post, she's entirely right that you ought to respect the thread and the intent. I expect no less on this thread.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 am

Barber

Sorry to ursup power, I blame it on a cranky mood and lack of coffee.

Next time I'll do better. I'm sorry.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 am

Coffee is life.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Coffee is life.

No, coffee is coffee. Life is Life. No wonder you have rather strange ideas about things!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Did anyone see this news?

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011 ... ?gt1=43001

Whaddya think? Would you take the stuff?

FrankChurch wrote:I bet there are few if any depressed christians. wink.

Yep Jesus is the best drug there is. But is he an amphetamine or a barbiturate? :?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 pm

No, I gotta agree with Frankie: coffee is life.

Don't believe me? Just check with me tomorrow morning 'round 6:45...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Diane, I truly regret you're angry with me regarding my post to Lori. I don't believe I've ever misled anyone to think "STFU" is acceptable here in the Forums, no matter who writes it.

But again, I'd like to request that any such issues be handled out of Harlan's sight. If for nothing else as a consideration for his own current challenges.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Steve, not angry with u. STFU which Lori used, I found a lot less(by quantum degrees) offensive than 80% of the patronizing, self-aggrandizing stuff "Frank" posts. No one said a word when he wrote"Mike, u live in Chicago, why dont u take Diane out?" And neither Cynic nor I r supposed to take crap like that personally or be offended. Did his comment on Lori's thread add anything or was it just a jab, an Im better than u guys jab which is basically all he posts. Not at all mad at u or Rick or anyone but the person whoever he is who posts this crap. And it has been addressed in PM and messages and stuff by me and others. And for what ever reason he gets a free pass. That up to you guys. Your the ones who have the smarts and the courage to handle the job. But it is alienating in the extreme to many people and frustrating. Maybe Wyatt or Barber and Cris should come to Chicago and "take me out" in both or whatever sense "Frank" meant it.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 am

Perhaps the best description of coffee is one I use: Coffee is the elixr of life.

It sure feels that way to me when I get up.

As far as understanding depression, I suppose it's a little hard to explain to someone who doesn't suffer from it.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't respect someone who does suffer from it. I always respect someone who is able to recognize they have a problem and then try do something about it. That takes insight and intestinal fortitude.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 am

Barber wrote:No, I gotta agree with Frankie: coffee is life.

Don't believe me? Just check with me tomorrow morning 'round 6:45...

Dearest Mod type

Until I see a newborn straight outta the womb with an espresso cup in his hand, I stand by my statement.

But, ya gotta realize I'm saying this while sitting in a Starbucks, so take it for what it's worth.

Return to “General”