Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby markabaddon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am

My lady recently picked up for me the Complete and Unabridged Lovecraft and I am loving it. Whiel I have most of these stories in one collection or another, there are several I had never encountered before, including an absolutely hilarious piece titled Sweet Ermengarde (Or, the Heart of a Country Girl). When I read the blurb on this story, I was skeptical. Ole H.P., doing a comedic tale? Could not imagine it, unless it involved Cthulhu doing a tap dance (which, whiel devastating, would be quite funny to watch). The story is a take on the Horatio Alger tales, and it works. There were a couple of points where I nearly laughed out loud while reading it. Not sure if it is collected at all, but is definiely worth checking out if you can find it.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 am

Speaking of HPL, from the website

http://cthulhuchick.com/wordcount-lovec ... ite-words/

A wordcount of HPL's favorite words...

Abnormal – 94
Accursed – 76
Antediluvian – 10
Antiqu (e/arian) – 128
Blasphem (y/ous) – 92
Charnel – 20
Comprehension – 9
Cyclopean – 47
Decadent – 32
Daemoniac – 55
Effulgence – 4
Eldritch – 23
Faint (ed/ing) – 189
Foetid – 22
Gambrel – 21
Gibbous – 9
Hideous – 260
Immemorial – 25
Indescribable – 25
Iridescence – 2
Loath (ing/some) – 71
Madness – 115
Mortal – 27
Nameless – 157
Noisome – 33
Shunned – 54
Singular (ly) – 115
Squamous – 1
Stench – 59
Stygian – 6
Swarthy – 14
Tenebrous - 9
Ululat (e/ing) – 4
Unnamable – 22
Unutterable – 13
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

I finished Proust before the end of the year. (Yay!) I also read Cormac McCarthy's first five books last year before needing a break. They're beautifully written, but a little bit of his darkness goes a long way.

I read the first two volumes of Edmund Morris's epic bio of Theodore Roosevelt last year, and just finished the new, third and final volume last week.

Right now I'm reading _A Voyage Long and Strange: rediscovering the New World_ by Toby Horwitz, and Martin Amis's first novel, _The Rachel Papers_. Read several Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins books in the past month; used to have mixed feelings about them -- sort of "With friends like these..." -- but they both turned out to be much more enjoyable in their books than "in public."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 am

Welcome back, David.

Been following your Hawaii adventure on Facebook. Looks like you had a great time.

I've been reading a ton of travel books lately as we begin assembling our annual "Trip".

However, I've just ordered an iPad2 with the expressed intent to buy a bunch of ebooks...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

First books and then travel.

Speaking of long books that not many folks get around to actually reading...

The SECOND STORY bookstore location on P St off Dupont Circle has a nice collection of rare books and first editions. Earlier this week saw a first edition of FINNEGANS WAKE. $700. Thought it would cost more than that. I'll settle for my Naxos Audiobook. The best way to do FW. Words as music and vice versa.

Also saw a first edition of Well's INVISIBLE MAN. $1200. Way cool.

Read the Travel Section of the NYT on Sunday with articles about walking tours of Scotland and Ireland. Got the itch big time. Haven't been on a serious adventure in a long time.

Barber where you going? Inspire me.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 am

Inspire yourself. lol

Finally read Boys From Brazil. Ira Levin sure can cook.

I just don't buy that it took so long for Leiberman to get that the kids were Hitler.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Read the Travel Section of the NYT on Sunday with articles about walking tours of Scotland and Ireland. Got the itch big time. Haven't been on a serious adventure in a long time.

Barber where you going? Inspire me.

Our big trip last year was canceled because of the dog's health -- which ended up being fatal to him a few months later, so it was probably a good idea. The scheduled trip was for Hong Kong, Macau, Perth, the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and one final night in Auckland. Almost all first class hotels and flights since we've got a ton of hotel and airline ponts to burn. We were staying at our friends house in Perth for five of our nights...but all up in smoke. When we tried to rebook the same itinerary this year our good friends at American Airlines had changes the rules, eliminating this trip as an option.

So this year all stops are pulled. After consultation with our friends, we're going to meet up in Europe for a weeklong sailing cruise around the boot of Italy. Plus, given the madness heaped upon us, we're also spending a week before and a week after, roaming around Italy and France. The itinerary has us in Rome, Venice, Nice and Paris for three nights each. We start in Rome, then travel by train to Venice where we meet our friends. Seven nights on the cruise ship -- the Windstar Wind Surf, a huge sailing vessel -- with three stops in Croatia and two in Italy (Messina and Sorrento). Back on dry land we have a two-day train ride to Nice (overnight in Genoa), with day trips from there to Monte Carlo and St Tropez. Followed by a high-speed rail trip up to Paris where we meet my parents, who just happen to be there at the same time.

Inspired?

:D
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

Take loads of pictures. I hate you. lol

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 am

Wow, didn't my post come across as insensitive and arrogant. Embarrassingly so.

This is, admittedly, a very extravagant trip, particularly when so many people are barely -- or not even -- scraping by :oops: . Last year was a really tough one for us emotionally and financially. Money was extremely tight (as it is for everyone these days), and we dipped deeply into savings to make the bills for several month. Veterinary expenses were insane, and even so we ended up losing both of our dogs within nine months. Things got to the point I had to change jobs because the previous one wasn't paying enough in the new economy, and Cris was forced to shut down her office in the recording studio.

(I'm not crying for sympathy. We're far better off than most people and our "suffering" is laughable compared to what most everyone else is enduring. It's the emotional toll that was the most devastating, not the financial.)

So taking our tax return, thousands of Starwood and American Airlines points, and a little bit extra we have in our pockets because of my new gig, we are making the trip one for a lifetime. We're both turning 50 this year, so this is our way of celebrating. Yes, very extravagant and likely one we cannot repeat for another decade or more, if ever...but we gotta do it.

And yes, you can count on a LOT of pictures.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:42 am

Oh, and I'm reading Italy Out of Hand (A Capricious Tour) by Barbara Hodgson.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Steve, I thought your post was charming and informative. You and Cris work hard for your money, and deserve a nice vacation. What happened with Gig and Jazz last tear was heartbreaking and unfair to you guys and you deserve the rest and relax. I hope you guys have the best time ever and look forward to tons of pics. Love Diane

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 pm

last year.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Freudian slip, but most accurate in both cases. Thank you, Diane.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Inspired?

Yeah but where do I get the beautiful talented traveling companion? :(

Wow, didn't my post come across as insensitive and arrogant. Embarrassingly so.

Yeah and the only way you can make it up to us is by taking us along and paying our way! :D

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:06 am

Steve wrote:

"However, I've just ordered an iPad2 with the expressed intent to buy a bunch of ebooks..."

Carole requested a Kindle for her holiday gift last December, so I got her one. She's been singing its praises ever since, so I've learned a lot about what makes it appealing . . . but I'm probably NEVER going to get an e-book device. And I'm preparing an essay for my blog to try to explain why.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “Pop Culture”