Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 am

Steve Evil wrote:I wonder if any old school hard core Trekkies realized that the reboot copmpletely nullified the entire Star Trek universe. Time travellers went back, destroyed Vulcan, and completely changed history. All the events of the original series, the next gerneation and deep sapce nine have bascially been erased, or at least utterly altered. Did anyone notice?

Actually, not quite. It was described as an alternate reality. Otherwise old Spock would not have retained his memories of the differing events.

To use David Gerrold's time-travel design, they jumped timelines. The "original" universe is intact and following its own course, it's this particular timeline which has diverged from the other.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 am

Of course. I should have realized.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 am

Not to worry, Steve E. Jumping those timelines can be a very confusing business.

Let's just hope the new timeline is not the same one that Geroge Lucas jumped into with the Phantom Menace.

But while we're waiting on the new Trek don't forget we're about to be landed on with both feet by more comic book adaptations this summer.

Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern, all childhood favorites.

Let's hope they leave the tortured dark knight shit to Batman and go for some good old fashioned lip smackin' high adventure.

I am hopeful but not optimistic.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am

The trailers -- I will emphasize trailers -- for Green Lantern certainly look fun and amazing. I am seriously hopeful as well.

Never was into Thor or Captain America. The only Marvel titles I read with any regularity were the Silver Surfer and The Submariner. Later, in my college years, I picked up X-Force and Alpha Flight but for the most part was a DC kid. Mostly the Legion titles, Green Lantern, Superman and -- again in college -- the Terminator and Vigilante titles.

On Smallville they have introduced the Slade Wilson character. They only have a handful of episodes left, but it ought to be fun to see their introduction of his role in the creation of Superman.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 am

Besides Batman, I haven't been terribly enamoured with any of the comic adaptations of recent years. All CGI and big booms. Even the much ballyhooed Spider man and Ironman came up short for me. But, we shall see.

Growing up, I tended to defect quite regularily between DC and Marvel, like a wife and a mistress.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 pm

This is from an old show on IFC called Dinner For Five, hosted by Jon Favreau. What's fun is the guest list: Rob Zombie, Roger Corman, Faizon Love and Bruce Campbell. Neato conversations about how low budget movies get made, morality of horror films. Did you guys know the Evil Dead guys made the Blood Simple trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBaVM2e ... re=related

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 am

Curious. I think Zombie's one of the most immoral directors in the business right now, so I wonder what he'd have to say about morality in horror. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 am

FrankChurch wrote:This is from an old show on IFC called Dinner For Five, hosted by Jon Favreau. What's fun is the guest list: Rob Zombie, Roger Corman, Faizon Love and Bruce Campbell. Neato conversations about how low budget movies get made, morality of horror films. Did you guys know the Evil Dead guys made the Blood Simple trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBaVM2e ... re=related

Loved that show. Terrific concept, which was bent sideways a bit by Tom Bergeron for SUPPER CLUB on Planet Green (also very good).

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/supper-club/supper-club-show-info.html

No longer get IFC, sadly. Both shows are out of production...*sigh*

It appears that watching fascinating people hold a conversation isn't enough for today's viewing audience.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I still think Last House On The Left is the sickest piece of shit I have ever viewed.

This from a guy who saw Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS. The director of that film looks like a child killer.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote: The director of that film looks like a child killer.

Which one? Ilsa or Last House?

I've been off horror films for a while now. It's become very clear to me that today's generation of directors were inspired by all the wrong bits in the classics.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Grindhouse is great, what about that?

There are several great films from Europe. They are the new horror pros. Our are all about gore and hating women.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Besides Batman, I haven't been terribly enamoured with any of the comic adaptations of recent years. All CGI and big booms. Even the much ballyhooed Spider man and Ironman came up short for me. But, we shall see.

I have to admit that I found 'The Dark Knight' both dark and depressing. I'd much rather watch a CGI Spiderman or Ironman then another 'slit my throat' Batman.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Grindhouse is great, what about that?

Which, the phenomena or the Tarantino film? And in that case, which half: the Rodrigues half or the Tarantino half? I for one tolerated the Rodrigues half and despised the Tarantino half for all the reasons I usually despise Tarantino.

Tom C wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:I have to admit that I found 'The Dark Knight' both dark and depressing. I'd much rather watch a CGI Spiderman or Ironman then another 'slit my throat' Batman.

To each their own. In most other cases, I'm not unsympathetic to this viewpoint.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:29 am

Tom C wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:I have to admit that I found 'The Dark Knight' both dark and depressing. I'd much rather watch a CGI Spiderman or Ironman then another 'slit my throat' Batman.

To each their own. In most other cases, I'm not unsympathetic to this viewpoint.[/quote]

Sorry Steve. I was a bit testy when I posted that comment. I readily admit to not liking 'The Dark Knight'. I'm not a big fan of CGI movies either. I guess when I go to a movie based on a comic book; I just want a simple story told well.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

No appologies needed; no law says you HAVE to like the Dark Knight. And I'm not one of these folks who think art needs to be suicidally depressing to be worthwhile.

But I also find myself increasingly hard to please nowadays. Technology allows us to do so much more, but why do I find it all so much less impressive?

Return to “Pop Culture”