THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
robochrist
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:30 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:12 pm

California inherits a financial crisis that was largely beget by Governor Pete Wilson by the 1990's. Wilson, like every Republican, deregulated the hell out of everything, particularly in the energy market. Enron readily took advantage, and we know what THAT led to. Wilson also cut the hell out of education.

Gray Davis inherited the fiscal crisis, and he was a corporate Democrat to begin with, so we don't make much headway with him either.

So, California hasn't had a single Progressive. Since I came here I've never seen an effort made in behalf of the working people, who, in turn, continually vote (or don't turn out to vote) against their own interests because they aren't on top of this. Too many voters can't make the connections.

While you can't deny anyone the right to vote, TECHNICALLY, many just aren't qualified to vote! They go to the ballots knowing NOTHING, or they don't vote at all, leaving the wealthy to look after their own interests.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:13 pm

The bull in the china shop is Enron. Remember them?

That's why republicans underfund education, so that only the right people will vote.

User avatar
Sara Slaymaker
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Sorry guys, I've been a little busy and haven't gotten here in a bit. Catching up while I have my wine...

Republicans underfund education because it's easier to control an uneducated public.

Gwennie, going back to your money comment - the one thing I always wanted to do, if, say, I won the lottery, was buy a large, high security apartment building and set it up as a halfway house for abused women. The idea was that the woman would have a place to stay and not pay rent until she was able to do so. I believe that most women stay in abusive situations because they don't feel that they can provide for themselves or their children, and so they stay and take what is dished out . While I was never physically abused, my husband was emotionally abusive, dismissive, condescending and perennially angry, as well as emotionally unavailable and untrustworthy. I won't go into the hoary details. Suffice it to say, I know in some minor ways how abused women feel, and I always wanted to take away one of their reasons for staying by providing them with a safe place to fall.

So someone gimme a few million $$$ and let me run with it!

Yeah, ok, I'm being flip, but it's one of those issues that's always mattered to me. I'm not trying to be saintly. I just think there are some things more important - and now that I have no money to speak of, I'm learning that it's true.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

User avatar
robochrist
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:30 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:04 pm

"Republicans underfund education because it's easier to control an uneducated public."

Exactly so.

That's why I recommended Huxley's Brave New World over in the Pav!

Two machines that POWERFULLY exploit the precept is FOX and Russia's Putin. We're talkin' VIRAL here!

Gwyneth M905
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Sara Slaymaker wrote:[snips]...the one thing I always wanted to do, if, say, I won the lottery, was buy a large, high security apartment building and set it up as a halfway house for abused women. The idea was that the woman would have a place to stay and not pay rent until she was able to do so. I believe that most women stay in abusive situations because they don't feel that they can provide for themselves or their children, and so they stay and take what is dished out . While I was never physically abused, my husband was emotionally abusive, dismissive, condescending and perennially angry, as well as emotionally unavailable and untrustworthy. I won't go into the hoary details. Suffice it to say, I know in some minor ways how abused women feel, and I always wanted to take away one of their reasons for staying by providing them with a safe place to fall.

So someone gimme a few million $$$ and let me run with it!


Honey, you said a mouthful! Yeah, I think sometimes emotional abuse is worse -- there are no bruises to show to the cops, and it's damn hard to explain unless you've lived it. OK, I moderate what I just said -- dying is worse, but oftentimes emotional abusers escalate to become physical abusers.

As a cop told me when I was in 9th grade. "Honey, everybody's gotta sleep sometime." hella yeah. Grab that baseball bat. A woman in our town shot her husband at pointblank range with a double barreled shotgun while he slept. The jury acquitted her in less than 15 minutes. Everyone in town knew what a mean bastard he was and how much she and her kids had to put up with.

He came home drunk, hit her, told her he was going to kill her and the kids and then went to sleep. She decided that action was the better part of valor and put him out of her misery. And not a soul blamed her.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Kenneth Stevens
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Kenneth Stevens » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:52 pm

A man in our town shot his wife at pointblank range with a double barreled shotgun while she slept. The jury acquitted him in less than 15 minutes. Everyone in town knew what a mean bitch she was and how much he and his kids had to put up with.

She came home drunk, hit him, told him she was going to kill him and the kids and then went to sleep. He decided that action was the better part of valor and put her out of his misery. And not a soul blamed him

Wasn't that a nice story?

cynic
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 3:55 am
Location: chicago

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby cynic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Gwyneth M905 wrote: A woman in our town shot her husband at pointblank range with a double barreled shotgun while he slept. The jury acquitted her in less than 15 minutes. Everyone in town knew what a mean bastard he was and how much she and her kids had to put up with.

He came home drunk, hit her, told her he was going to kill her and the kids and then went to sleep. She decided that action was the better part of valor and put him out of her misery. And not a soul blamed her.

Kenneth Stevens wrote:A man in our town shot his wife at pointblank range with a double barreled shotgun while she slept. The jury acquitted him in less than 15 minutes. Everyone in town knew what a mean bitch she was and how much he and his kids had to put up with.

She came home drunk, hit him, told him she was going to kill him and the kids and then went to sleep. He decided that action was the better part of valor and put her out of his misery. And not a soul blamed him

Wasn't that a nice story?

There are eight million stories, in the Naked City. These have been two of them.
follow your bliss,mike

User avatar
Sara Slaymaker
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:03 am

Cute, Kenneth. Don't knock it 'till you've lived it. More, this bitch sayeth not.

On to cheerier matters: this is for Gwennie, Peggy and Sandra, who all asked about my changed relationship status in Facebook, so guys, you can skip this part if you want. I don't want to post details there because my husband Peter is on Facebook and the details are none of his fucking business. So, briefly, yes, I am seeing someone. I've known him for a very long time, in fact dated him just before I met Peter. We remained friends and kept in touch over the years, met for lunch occasionally, and when I moved back to the Philly area the lunches became more frequent. We now see each other about once a week and are moving towards spending more time together. He's sweet and funny, kind and intelligent, handsome and sexy and I am frankly crazy about him, although we have not had "the relationship talk" and I am not going to bring it up.

One of the benefits of being on my own has been that I've started moving back towards writing. I re-edited my novel and have self-published (which means I formatted it on my computer, printed it out, bound it and gave it to select persons to read - my mother and other family members, my aforementioned friend). The best comment came from my brother Bill, who said, "wow, this read just like a real book!"

I haven't quite gotten into the swing yet, but I have started the next one. I have a lot more blood to spread across the page now.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

Gwyneth M905
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 am

Sara Slaymaker wrote:[snips]... this is for Gwennie, Peggy and Sandra, who all asked about my changed relationship status in Facebook, so guys, you can skip this part if you want.[snips] We now see each other about once a week and are moving towards spending more time together. He's sweet and funny, kind and intelligent, handsome and sexy and I am frankly crazy about him, although we have not had "the relationship talk" and I am not going to bring it up.


You GO, Grrl! :D Life is for having fun!

Sara Slaymaker wrote:One of the benefits of being on my own has been that I've started moving back towards writing. I re-edited my novel and have self-published (which means I formatted it on my computer, printed it out, bound it and gave it to select persons to read - my mother and other family members, my aforementioned friend). The best comment came from my brother Bill, who said, "wow, this read just like a real book!"

I haven't quite gotten into the swing yet, but I have started the next one. I have a lot more blood to spread across the page now.


Yay! Well, not about the blood part, but about the finishing a novel! That's quite an accomplishment! Will you share any details here, or is it private, just for family?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

User avatar
markabaddon
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 am

Sara, I wondered about the status change also, so thanks for clarifying and I am very happy for you! One question though, why is your hubby still connected to you on Facebook? I made sure that I have almost no connections to my ex through that except for my girlfriend's kids, both of whom are friends of hers (don't ask, it is a Farmville thing, which I still don't understand)

Like Gwyn, I am also curious about your novel
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

User avatar
Sara Slaymaker
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

markabaddon wrote:Sara, I wondered about the status change also, so thanks for clarifying and I am very happy for you! One question though, why is your hubby still connected to you on Facebook? I made sure that I have almost no connections to my ex through that except for my girlfriend's kids, both of whom are friends of hers (don't ask, it is a Farmville thing, which I still don't understand)

Like Gwyn, I am also curious about your novel


Thanks, guys. I will be spending a couple of days with him next week, down at the NJ shore - I'll let you know how it goes! Mark, to answer your question: my leaving was very painful for Peter, and we still have some things to go through together - specifically, we're filing for bankruptcy in the next week or so - so I'm trying not to cut him off too abruptly. Plus we still have a lot of stuff to divide up and neither one of us can afford a lawyer for a divorce, so if we (I) can keep things civil and friendly we will both win. Otherwise the lawyers will take whatever crumbs we have left. So I stay his friend on facebook but I try not to share too much of my life with him.

My novel is called "Last Resort" and is about a 33 year old woman who travels to Mexico to re-acquire her daughter, who was kidnapped by her somewhat abusive, convict ex-husband. It's not great, but it's not bad. There's action and romance and great scenery. I shopped it around to agents and publishers when I finished it (about 10 years ago) but it was, of course, rejected, and after the last agent's comment I gave up. She said it was too cinematic - I thought, "And what the hell would you call Jurassic Park??" But when I re-wrote/re-edited it, I made that part of the theme: Casey tends to see the whole thing as some sort of action movie (black belt heroine rescues daughter by using her skills and wit) and keeps running up against reality. She's also a recovering alcoholic, which added an interesting dimension - and one fabulous scene of which I'm very proud.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

User avatar
Lori Koonce
Posts: 3538
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:10 pm
Location: San Francisco California
Contact:

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 am

Kenneth Stevens wrote:A man in our town shot his wife at pointblank range with a double barreled shotgun while she slept. The jury acquitted him in less than 15 minutes. Everyone in town knew what a mean bitch she was and how much he and his kids had to put up with.

She came home drunk, hit him, told him she was going to kill him and the kids and then went to sleep. He decided that action was the better part of valor and put her out of his misery. And not a soul blamed him

Wasn't that a nice story?


Steven

I'm not too sure who is the bigger bitch here, her or you. There is no excuse for murder. He had a better chance of leaving her that most women in that situation do, so why didn't he do that? I think that jury was a bunch of idiots, who all should be properly punished for not doing their job.

And maybe you can answer me this: There are women all over the nation in jail for doing what this guy did. They got so sick and tired of the abuse, and the lack of the authorities action that they shoot the abuser. Why is it all right for men to do that but not women?

Getting off my soap box now.

User avatar
markabaddon
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 am

Sara,

I understand completely, having been in your situation just a few short years ago. If I may make a suggestion, look for a mediator to work with so that you can avoid lawyer's fees. The rates for mediators in my area range from $200-300 an hour, with the average amount of time needed to complete a mediation being 6-8 hours. Mine, of course, took longer but a buddy finished his in just under 2 hours. After the mediation is complete, you should have a lawyer review the document to ensure its accuracy, that should be about an hour's worth of work, then you can file and be done with everything

Just be careful about leaving him as a Facebook friend, you may want to change your priavacy options to only allow him to see certain portions of your page

Sounds like a fun little novel, congrats on finishing it !

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

User avatar
David Loftus
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:10 pm

I hit a woman once ... actually, several times in succession.

You probably find this hard to believe, knowing me as you do. But I did it long after she had slugged, bitten, and otherwise abused me many times, and I had responded with everything else I could think of (reasoning, running away, shouting back, etc.). I knew I wasn't hurting her physically, but boy, was she shocked -- as if it were somehow unfair for her to receive the kind of treatment she had been dishing out.

I promised myself I would never hit a woman again, however. And I haven't.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Sara, the mexico angle might sell the book. You know how the publishing industry likes angles. You could throw in immigration as well. That might stir the pot.

---------

Wouldn't that be great if Ebert was a regular poster here. I do know he is pretty left wing. I just may find a comrade.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests