THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Moderation on the wine and women. Double down on the song, long as it's not the song of the south. Whistling dixie skurrs me.

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:10 pm

an "excellent" servant, Rob

Lori you hit that nail so solidly you mutilated it

thanks for the sage advice, (f)rank. i will now eat my own eyeballs with a spork. jesus christ.
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:20 pm

"an "excellent" servant, Rob"

Could you kindly lend me a few, at least to hold me over till the next Feudal system?

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Richard Keeney wrote:an "excellent" servant, Rob

Lori you hit that nail so solidly you mutilated it

thanks for the sage advice, (f)rank. i will now eat my own eyeballs with a spork. jesus christ.

:lol: That mental image is now burned into my retinas.... plus...it's just funny...can I buy you a beer to go with those eyeballs or only red wine will do? :lol:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

You guys make me laugh.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 pm

My pride always being at the end of a bullet, could someone kindly point out to that guy in the Pav - who wanted to remind me why, indeed, Meg Whitman WILL be California's next governor - that it was a question I never asked?

I never asked ANY question!

Just trying to keep to SOME standard of clear reading.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:32 am

Rob, I would not be so sure about Whitman as the next Gov. of CA. It is a possibility, but the polling showed a tight race last time I checked. Even Rasmussen (which has a heavy Republican internal bias) had Brown in the lead by 1%. Brown is a known commodity in CA, Whitman has thrown herself full force into the Tea Party side of the Repub. party, which will not sit well with the large Hispanic population of CA. I would place the odds of her winning the election somewhere around 35-40%. Not liklely, but not a total shocker if it happens

Also Rob, I have to commend you on the change in tone of your postings in the past few months. For a long time, I would not even respond to anything you posted because your comments seemed a bit too angry and outre for my tastes. I have noticed, and wanted to publicly praise you, for losing none of the passion in your posting but changing the tone and style in which you write dramatically. I wish others on this board would follow your example

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 am

can I buy you a beer to go with those eyeballs or only red wine will do?

A nice chanti with some fava beans. Thp-thp-thp-thp-thp!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:06 am

"Rob, I would not be so sure about Whitman as the next Gov. of CA. It is a possibility, but the polling showed a tight race last time I checked"

Well, I hope you're right but I myself never laid out the question to begin with.

The story I was concerned about was the really alarming disconnect demonstrated by the people I ran into in a single day. The context of his "Whitman" question was, it seemed, "she's elected?" I prodded just enough to make sure that's what he meant!

If Whitman DOES win, THIS is why! And, while I couldn't say this weeks ago (looking at a backdrop of 13% unemployment under Republicans, a budget crisis, and a national environmental crisis), now I won't be too surprised if she DOES.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Rob, then you should put on your pants, get your hand out of the cereal box and stump for Brown. Go to it Pookster.

Here's what Jonathan Alter said about Brown: "He's yesterday, Meg Whitman is today." He's the liberal. If Whitman gets hold of California you all are royally fucked.

She will play up the "I am a women, elect me," stuff and it could work. The only thing that is important is how someone thinks. I'd take a million progressive men over one Sarah Palin.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm

And I'm really proud of blacks who voted against the corrupt Artur Davis and voted for a progressive white guy. It's all about how you think.

I just hope the black community will take the stars out from their eyes about Obama. I understand the paranoia, but they need to kick his ass at times.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Rob, I realize this was not a question you posed in the Pav, I was responding to your comment here in the Forums

Apathy and lack of attention to the viewpoints of a candidate is generally the reason why we have elected idiots like Ah-nold, Rick Santorum, and W. However, I do nto think it will happen with Whitman, the polls seem to be against her, and with her recent support of the AZ law, she can count on no support from the Hispanic population. Not a lock for Brown, but he definitely has a strong advantage
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Mark

I beg to differ with you on the Governator's election. It was a combo of frustration and stupidity that got him elected, apathy was the furthest thing from most peoples minds, IMO.

Grey Davis got blamed for all the rolling blackouts that were happening at the time. The majority of Californians wanted something done, found a scapegoat and acted accordingly. They didn't bother to realize then what we now know, that it was the energy companies who were causing the problems, not Gov. Davis.

I don't know who said it but I tend to agree with the statement "We get the government we deserve". Davis was doing a great job, and we should never have voted him out.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Lori, you are far closer to the situation than I am, and I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.

Regardless, a need for a scapegoat will not help Whitman in this race, and the fact that she is spending so much of her own money in an effort to be elected will not sit well with most Californians, I suspect. I still say the odds of Brown being elected are about 60% (this could climb the more people are exposed to Whitman's ideology, which are far removed from Ah-nold's)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Perhaps you could take some comfort in the notion that many of the people who are that clueless probably won't remember to go to the polls on election day, either.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “General”