Shutter Island

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Shutter Island

Postby David Loftus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 am

I could have sworn I saw a mention or two of this movie here somewhere, but a search for the title and for Scorsese turned up nothing. (I'm probably not doing it right.)

Anyway, I had a fine DIY double feature on Sunday afternoon: singalong "Mary Poppins" at 1:00 p.m. (surrounded by lots of children and mommies, and very few grownup males), then "Shutter Island" at 5:00.

The Mrs. joined me for the latter, since she had no interest in the former. We had both read Lehane's book over the preceding week and liked it a lot.

We liked the movie even better. Beautifully shot and acted. I was almost convinced the heavily made-up "Laeddis" character was De Niro, but the actor turned out to be Elias Koteas. Scorsese stayed pretty close to the plot, though cutting a lot of the complicated details of course, and kept much of the dialogue as well. He did add a tiny little twist at the end, very Scorsesian, which we thought was splendid.

I was a little disappointed, somehow, to research the movie afterward and find out the island and asylum complex as seen in the film does not exist anywhere in reality but was CGI-ed together from several locations.

By making everything visually clear, the movie did tend to highlight the relative unbelievability of the plot, which somehow managed to go down okay on the page.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Complex

Re: Shutter Island

Postby Complex » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah I watched the movie and let me remember... It was OK but it was also a lot like some sort of videogame. You know you have this main character that goes around meeting other two dimensional characters in strange places that give him clues. And the ending... come one can someone tell me that wasn't unexpected?!
Overall it was a good B-movie.

Return to “Pop Culture”