SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Lori Koonce wrote: 43 precent of ANY pouplation dosen't make a majority. They just SEEM that way because they have the ear of those in power.

That is the most sensible statement I have heard this week. 8)
--------------------------

Hello, Lori. Haven't said hi yet. Appy-polly-logies. Welcome.
Have fun, don't taunt the feeble-minded and debate sensibly, those are the only rules here.

Having given the previous statement as grist for the mill, i remain, yours truly,
paul
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:16 pm

paul wrote:Congrats on the Holmes work, and as I am a huge reader and applicator of the canon, I look forward to your reading.

Looks like Mark -- as announced on the Pavvy -- discovered them live online before I was even notified they were up! Check out the samples:

http://www.internationaltales.com/internationalTales/
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Cary Bleasdale

Postby Cary Bleasdale » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:19 pm

I've always had some objection to calling them "Fundamentalists." I don't think it's possible to follow the Fundamentals of Christianity (or any other major religion) and act like Pat Robertfuck.

Like I have posted on my facebook account under "religion:" "I'm a Fundamentalist Christian. That means I try to do what Jesus F-in' said. Read the Beatitudes."

Also, my apologies for not saying hi earlier Lori! Thanks for saying hi over in the Dr. Who thread. I kinda drift in and out here so I haven't bumped into you before.

Peace, Love and Chickengrease,

Cary

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Hey Carey

Frist of all a heartfelt THANKS. Sometimes this place and the pavy make me feel very invisible. Your kindness, amongst others, proves otherwise!

As for the religion stuff, I said it once and I'll repeat it; all the major worlds religions have the 3 basic fundamentals:

1. Love your God/goddess

2. Treat others as you want to be treated

3. Love yourself!

Other than that, it's just a bunch of cultural stuff layered on after centuries, if not milennia of practice.
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm

...43 precent of ANY pouplation dosen't make a majority...

True, but what I actually wrote was...

They [fundamentalists] are 99% of the Christians who have ever lived.

Steve Barber wrote

Christian Fundamentalists are a minority of Christians.

Well they are now.

I like to think we are making progress. But before the 17th century EVERYBODY was what you would now call a "fundamentalist". Excepting a small minority whose influence is much wider than their actual numbers would indicate simply because they were artists and writers.

Lori wrote

As for the religion stuff, I said it once and I'll repeat it; all the major worlds religions have the 3 basic fundamentals:

1. Love your God/goddess

2. Treat others as you want to be treated

3. Love yourself!

Other than that, it's just a bunch of cultural stuff layered on after centuries, if not milennia of practice.

How about let's keep the Golden Rule and junk the rest?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Oh sweet Jesu I gotz to have me one of them!

http://www.christianoutdoorsman.com/cat ... b1803ad671

I wonder if the Lord preferred hollow point or full metal jacket?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:41 pm

It's been a while since public domain religious type people made any egregiously stupid statements but all ya gotta do is wait for it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6996621.stm

Don't believe in the super monkeys? Heads will roll!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6996251.stm

Yeah the one with the blue dribbles doesn't do anything for me either!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6996553.stm

Nothing funny here alas...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

The enlightenment really changed Christianity here, this is why we don't see beheadings, but give them time. Old habits die hard.

Islam got the printing press late, exlains why they are stuck in a bit of a middle passage state. The press gave the heretics the pen, that changed much in the west. Heretics are just more fun to read.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:14 pm

The "Church" frequently comes out with stuff that makes you laugh or shake your head but unfortunately they also come out with stuff that is nothing but loathsome and actively evil.

All in the name of...you guessed it...morality.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7014335.stm

It's enough to drive a young man to...atheism. :shock:

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Yeah, I read that story yesterday. Do you know whether there has been any response from the Vatican? Silence from the Pope on the Archbishop's statements would be, uh, damning.

D.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:01 pm

"I have no money, but the people need to be fed."

Jesus.

He aint no Republican.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 am

Holy crap this was actually printed in USAToday, that font of cutting edge journmalism...

http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,1 ... -USA-Today

Relevant quote...

Authors as diverse as Matthew Arnold and George Orwell have given thought to the serious question: what is to be done about morals and ethics now that religion has so much decayed? Arnold went almost as far as to propose that the study of literature replace the study of religion. I must say that I slightly dread the effect that this might have had on literary pursuit, but as a source of ethical reflection and as a mirror in which to see our human dilemmas reflected, the literary tradition is infinitely superior to the childish parables and morality tales, let alone the sanguinary and sectarian admonitions, of the "holy" books. So I have included what many serious novelists and poets have had to say on this most freighted of all subjects. And who, really, will turn away from George Eliot and James Joyce and Joseph Conrad in order to rescrutinize the bare and narrow and constipated and fearful world of Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, and Osama bin Laden?

Maybe the times they are a'changin' huh? Anyway the Atheist section in Borders now fills two full shelves!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:11 pm

Another depressing poll.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyle ... 29?sp=true

No comment except nothing will change unless things change.

If you know what I mean.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Ezra, get with it, Bill O'Reilly tells us that the atheist elite run the world, where have you been?

God is dead, didn't you get the memo?

Return to “General”