One of My Creations

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

One of My Creations

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 am

Here are some photos of a model I've built of Capt. Nemo's Nautilus. It's based on Verne's descriptions and the look of some real 19th Century submarines, such as the Hunley, the U.S.S. Alligator, etc.

It's the first of five different Nautilus designs I've sketched up and am trying to render as scale models. The scale is 1/200 actual size.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Douglas Harrison

Re: One of My Creations

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 am

Oh, I want that! Well done, Chuck.

D.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:35 am

Chuck, did you build that from scratch? That's very cool! You should move to Hollywood and become a model maker. My girlfriend Monica works for a production company and we got a tour of one of the model projects for a giant amusement park project, and they had a whole room of people making models just like that! I wish I had pursued that when I was younger, I was obsessed with models and special effects after seeing Star Wars in '77.

Chuck, we are a talented group, and you and Douglas are both solid members. We should all stay in touch after the boards shut down. You guys know my email address - timraven@gmail.com or the new one timraven@nevarraven.com. And this goes for Lori, Diane, Steve Evil, Finderdoug, Robert Nason, Keeney, Steve B., Mark T., Neon, and every other name that I've forgotten as I have a tendency lately of forgetting everything...and I don't want to forget any of you.

Thanks everyone!
Tim

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Tim, the hull was fabricated by using 2/3 of a U.S.S. Skipjack model and the other 1/3 is an Estes model rocket nose cone. The rest was scratched from white styrene plastic, with some resin parts from an inaccurate Hunley model, brass portholes and a metal propeller.

For those who don't know, my e-mail is chuck_messer@hotmail.com. Feel free to drop a line.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”