THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:59 am

Merry Christmas btw. God bless us, every one!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:22 am

Gonna miss this place. . .

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:07 am

Steve Evil wrote:Gonna miss this place. . .

Yep. Me too, though largely I'm the one calling it quits. Don't get me wrong: I love the Forums.

It's the rudeness, attacks and animosity I won't miss.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:56 am

Steve Barber wrote:

Yep. Me too, though largely I'm the one calling it quits. Don't get me wrong: I love the Forums.

Steve...are you on Skype?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello Barber?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Hey gang

I just want to take the time to thank you all for the friendship and support I've received over the years. You all have come to reside in a very special place in my heart. This was the first place I'd come to most days. I never knew what to expect, and you guys never disappointed. The laughter we shared, the emotions expressed and all the rest of this place will be missed.

If you ask nicely I'll give you my email address. I'm not the best of correspondants, but I'll give it my best shot.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:
Steve Barber wrote:

Steve...are you on Skype?

Nope. I work for the phone company. Not really necessary. :oops:
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:26 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Hello Barber?

Yessir?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Today, the cat was released from his cone for the first time in three weeks. His left eye is still buggered, but we now understand probable root cause. He'll be afflicted intermittently for the rest of his life, but his universe is, for now, headed back to normal. Four weeks of stress (and six vet appointments) later, I'm beginning to climb out of that particular pit.

Today, I continued my re-watch of the 1980s incarnation of THE TWILIGHT ZONE; I'm on "The Misfortune Cookie". I'd rate just to the lower side of the median line of the series. Elliott Gould could do soup commercials to great effect, but he's not enough to elevate a fairly by-the-numbers script. Haven't read the Fritch short story from which it was adapted. Total aside: Harlan has an uncredited bit of voice-over work in "Gramma"; there's really no mistaking that man's pipes. Pity the show will never get a HD remaster - though shot in 35mm, all the post production was done on video, including visual effects. They'd have to re-create the episodes from the original footage, and create new CGI effects to replace the video. I suppose that would make for an interesting crowd-sourcing project. Hell, I'd do episodes as a hobbyist.

Today, I filed a rejection letter that, rather than suggest how I could have realistically given all the slaves in my story set on Barbados in 1810 a full-on Strunk & White, King's English vocabulary and diction, or a sunny, Disney-esque relationship with their slave wrangler, saw the reader simply call the story 'racist' and dismiss it as 'garbage' ... and then invite me to submit something else for the next issue. In two words? Um, no.

Today, I reminded myself I had four stories published this year, finished two drafts of a 60,000 word mystery novel, and continued moving forward on multiple projects. It took the sting out of being considered a hulking racist by one reader for one publication in one regional market.

Today, a late Christmas present arrived: new Cuisinart ice cream churn, with an extra bucket. Ice cream is my kung fu. You missed the honey browned butter version I made at Thanksgiving; and the stout with spanish peanuts and dark chocolate for the Boxing Day LORD OF THE RINGS marathon at a friend's. Some days, I think of trading it all in on an ice cream truck.

Today, my wife finishes up work until Monday. Dinner and a private party with friends tomorrow night to put this year to bed and welcome the new; brunch on New Year's Day at Hugo's (exquisitely authentic regional Mexican cuisine) and quiet time. Maybe a movie. And then I start chipping at the goal list for the coming year.

But given all that begins tomorrow, today is also my last post on this incarnation of Webderland. I hope to be back when/if it reopens for business. I hope I see most of you back, too. Until then, if you have an interest and don't already follow, I'm easily found on Facebook, or on Twitter (@finderdoug), but you'll have to shoot me a friend request for the former. I keep the doors and windows taped up, lest the pests get in. There's also occasional new content at my website - http://www.douglasjlane.com. Hope to return to active blogging this year.

A few parting-for-now bits:

Mark: I'm still working through GRAVITY BOX in tandem with several other books on my nightstand; once I'm done, I'll do my best to get a review onto Amazon. Really enjoying the collection thus far.

Tim Raven: In addition to the market sites suggested to you, look into Submission Grinder, which essentially does what Duotrope does, but free of charge (at least last time I looked.) And good luck with your story!

Chuck: Hang in there, bub.

All y'all: Be good to one another; have a Happy New Year, and I'll see ya round the playground.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:55 pm

FinderDoug wrote:
Mark: I'm still working through GRAVITY BOX in tandem with several other books on my nightstand; once I'm done, I'll do my best to get a review onto Amazon. Really enjoying the collection thus far.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

I'll miss this place.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:25 pm

I will too, Mark. I am having trouble letting go, but a nice email from Rick and a return to the original scene of the crime (so to speak -- I just reread the HAY GUYS STOP SHITTING UP THREADS AND BEING ASSHOLES thread), have convinced me it's really time to make the changes necessary.

I will note, for posterity, that I think we fulfilled at least a solid portion of the items mentioned in that thread. If you are unsure of the origins of "Moderation" in these forae, it makes for interesting reading.

Looking at the dates on those posts I've been at this since the middle of June, 2006. Eight and a half years. In that time I've made some excellent connections, overseen some truly remarkable discussions, and beaten at least three major crises into submission.

And the friendships are perhaps my greatest reward.

So, sometime tomorrow evening this place will freeze up on you. Don't bother with the refresh button. Until Rick is ready to make some additional announcements, I'll see the whole lot of you over on The Pavilion, and many of you on Facebook and Twitter. Please, make yourselves known by posting on The Thumbnail Traveler. Would love your feedback.

If all else fails, I've got two email addresses you're welcome to use: thumbnail traveler@verizon.net and barber gallery@verizon.net (no spaces)

I'll be back when the Forums are. Give the new Mods your attention, respect and obedience. I think Rick's new rules will make it easier for them.

And as Peter Brady once immortally sang: "When it's time to change, then it's time to change."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzyk0h0Jyk
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:44 am

I come away from this with hope, that the bulletin board will return with some changes, but if it doesn't, that I've met some very interesting people here. I'll see you all on the Pav and Facebook and in e-mails.

Bittersweetly,

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 am

Well folks. . .it's been a blast. January 6, 2004. 3516 posts (would this be 3517?). I stumbled into here as a confused, heart broken adolescent, and leave. . .well, pretty much the same. But what a time it's been. I immediately found that almost any topic of any interest could find a ready audience here. Literature or politics, religion or music, movies or anything else I cared to mention, someone here would know of it, and have something interesting to say about it. Hell, I even got to start a Metal thread! I never starved here.

I learned a great deal - not just of the topics under discussion, but how to construct an argument. How to explain oneself. How to deal with criticism. General netiquette. I was challenged by other points of view, and more than once forced to adjust my opinions. I evolved here. Even when I wasn't posting, I don't think a day went by when I wasn't checking in.

Over the years, I did notice fewer and fewer regular posters. I myself posted less and less, partly because I was less willing to bother people with personal shit, and partly because other people tended to sum up the issues under discussion so much better than I could. Other distractions reared their head, but I always came back here.

I suppose boards like this are on the general decline. Facebook and twitter seem the order of the day. But I have yet to see any discussions on either that matched what went on here.

So thanks for the right folks! Most of you are on my Facebook, and those who aren't are welcome to add (look for AJD, rather than "Evil"). Something of this place survives on your pages and in your status updates - do keep them up!

What song shall I sing on my way out? How about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:37 am

PS: About that moniker? In the beginning, I wasn't sure how to present myself, a horror movie watching Metalhead freak, to the great Harlan Ellison and his entourage. So I thought I'd get it all out in the open.

Even when I changed as a person, I liked the Rhyme too much to change the name. . . :twisted:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:04 pm

I will say Steve Evil is one sweet guy. He can hate me but he is aces.

Return to “General”