Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 am

On deck now:

Capital In The 21st Century by Thomas Picketty
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach

and

War Dogs by Greg Bear (new, not yet released, got the ARC)

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:11 pm

"Darkness Upon the Face of the Deep" by Harlan Ellison (SLIPPAGE)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Keeney, you mean something I said interested you? :)

http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Papercl ... 031622104X

----------

In the latest Commentary Jonah Goldberg does his usual hatchet job on Piketty:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/artic ... marxiness/

Marx scary, ooooooo. He is just angry Karl Marx is more relevant than him.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Actually, Picketty kind of takes Marx apart. Pretty thoroughly, too. Picketty is not a fan of communism.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Finally read Shirley Jackson's THE SUNDIAL on my flight to Las Vegas; definitely in the macabre family of novels, gorgeously written, but felt overly long for the ultimate payoff.

Just started Gaiman's THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE last night; only a few pages in before I needed to sleep, thus too soon for a substantive opinion except that I love his clean, smart and embraceable style.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am

I take it the Sundial has another of those surprise endings. :) The Lottery rocked my world.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:12 pm

THE SUNDIAL is one of favorite novels. I was really disappointed that it wasn't included in Shirley Jackson's Library of America volume. In fact I thought Jackson worthy of two volumes. One for her short stories and one for her novels. I mean if you're going to be lavish on the overpraised Philip K Dick certainly Jackson was deserving.

No, no surprise ending. It barely has an ending at all. Funny as hell for a novel about the end of the world. And it is a funny book. With a smile like a flash of sunlight off the blade of a guillotine.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Ezra - It was wonderfully dark and amusing, I concur. To be honest, I almost feel bad for feeling it a bit drawn out. But I also found (of all things) that DOWNTON ABBEY let me appreciate the set-up a lot more than I otherwise might have. (I will disagree, though, about the ending - it has a perfectly symmetrical ending to its opening. And very satisfying, for what it was.)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 am

I wasn't really criticizing the ending of THE SUNDIAL. It's perfect. Just waxing ironical. I've always thought the SUNDIAL would make a great movie. It would be a terrific women's movie. No sympathetic characters though. And combined with the dark humor not sure how popular it would be. A cult movie. But I can see Tilda Swinton as Orianna Halloran.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Keendawg

Postby Keendawg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 am

JESUS' SON Denis Johnson

I like to keep several collections on continuous loop. This one, THE SHELL COLLECTOR, IN OUR TIME, any Grace Paley, FICCIONES, THE PUGILIST AT REST. Keeps me more than humble. Keeps me from picking up the pen. Why bother?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:52 pm

A collection of essays by French writer Marguerite Yourcenar called The Dark Brain of Piranesi. The essays range in subject matter from the Caesars of third century Rome, a chronicle of French culture through the biographies of a succession of owners of a particular chateau in France, to examinations of the eroticism of Greek poet Constantin Cavafy and the influence of the alchemical tradition on the work of Thomas Mann. The book is both stimulating and depressing. And for the same reason. This woman is so erudite it's scary but she writes so beautifully and has so many interesting things to say it carries you along and at least for a time makes you feel smarter than you are. But in truth next to this writer I'll always be little better than a functional illiterate. -sigh- Well we all do what we can.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 am

You all have exotic tastes. See, you do not follow any canon.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 am

You mean that things that interest me isn't a cannon Frank... :shock:

This seems as good a place as any to ask. I have run out of stuff to read.

All I ask is that the recomendtions be a bit on the comedic side. Don't think my brain is ready for serious stuff quite yet.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Dave Barry is always funny. His brand of humor is like Mad Magazine but you are a fellow nerd, so you will get a giggle. We all need a laugh.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:You mean that things that interest me isn't a cannon Frank... :shock:

This seems as good a place as any to ask. I have run out of stuff to read.

All I ask is that the recomendtions be a bit on the comedic side. Don't think my brain is ready for serious stuff quite yet.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore
, by Robin Sloan. Got a mystery, no one dies, and it's funny as well as quite serious.

Rapture of the Nerds by Charles Stoss and Cory Doctorow. I laughed my ass off through this one.

The Rook
by Daniel O'Malley

How To Travel With A Salmon by Umberto Eco. Don't let the name scare you, these are satirical columns he wrote for Italian newspapers and they are an absolute stitch (if you can find the book).

That help?

Return to “Pop Culture”