Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

dcartistic

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby dcartistic » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:57 pm

I just saw Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dance of Reality a couple of nights ago. I highly recommend it. Think of Jodorowsky with bits and pieces of Fellini's Amarcord thrown in...

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:35 pm

GREEN LANTERN-THE ANIMATED SERIES

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:31 am

Adult Swim, always wild.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm

WALLANDER

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but can I ask a tech question?

I got my hands on a nifty little (and I mean tiny) pawtec external Blu-Ray drive and my current media player software won't do Blu-Ray discs. So I need a new player. I hear good things about the VLC Media Player. It's an open-source app and is a free download. I have no intention of tinkering. I'll just use it to play discs and maybe do some downloading.

Anybody have any experience with the VLC or can recommend something better?

I've already watched a couple DVDs on the player and you can really tell the difference in the quality of the image. I dug out an old Star Trek episode and the difference in the color saturation was amazing. Of course you can also see the pores on the actor's skin and you notice some of the make-up and hair pieces that one might have missed before.

I have no intention of replacing all my small but mighty DVD collection but some things would be nice to have on Blu-Ray. Princess Mononoke, 2001, stuff like that.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

I've used VLC player on my Mac for years. Not typically for disc media - more for files - but it's always proven stable and reliable, and handles many, MANY encoded formats (one of the few I've used that will natively handle a FLAC (compressed lossless audio) file without needing a decoder. If it works as well with discs, it should suit your needs.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote: I dug out an old Star Trek episode and the difference in the color saturation was amazing. Of course you can also see the pores on the actor's skin and you notice some of the make-up and hair pieces that one might have missed before.

As well as brush strokes on some of the (obviously wooden) machinery. But, Jesus, "The Tholian Web" looks amazing.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 am

"He say you Braderunnah."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 pm

You cannot grow old gracefully on high def tv.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:18 am

LOST

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 am

Oh, Rick. I'm happy for you and sad for you all at once.

My advice, as an original once-a-week viewer, and then a shotgun-on-DVD re-watcher: space the episodes out. At least a day between each, more if you can. Because a clustered viewing, while it works for some series, kinda... shows LOST's seams.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:24 am

I go an episode and a half. Roughly. I want to keep myself going with it so I make sure to take in the first few minutes of the next episode.

I hear you.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the input Doug. I find the information about FLAC compelling too cause I do a lot of music downloads. In fact I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. (Yes I'm the one that drove the brick & mortar music stores out of business.) And MP3s sound like shit (except for a few specific situations like audiobooks).
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 pm

THANATOMORPHOSE. Strange, atmospheric piece of "arthouse" horror about a woman who inexplicably begins to decay inside her lonesome apartment. It wasn't exactly the merriest of jaunts, so I followed that up with Weird Al Yankovic's UHF just to remind me how films can be anything for any time.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Ezra - I'm as much to blame for the demise of Melody Records as you are - after all, I moved away. :) They ARE getting better with compression algorithms for MP3, but give me lossless downloads any day.

Currently juggling a few viewing concerns: FALLING SKIES via Amazon Prime for mindless background cheese; ORPHAN BLACK for slightly higher grade pay-attention genre; and reliving my youth with a 'while I work in the kitchen' mainline of KOLCHAK - THE NIGHT STALKER, which I'm enjoying more than the other two. Sure, it was monster-of-the-week; sure, it was very standard 70s TV genre suspense; and sure, there are some real stinkers in the 20 episode run - but the interplay between Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland as Kolchak and his long-suffering editor Tony Vincenzo remains as entertaining as ever, and when the script is 'on', it's some fun viewing.

Return to “Pop Culture”