Whatcha listening to?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 am

UFO-OBSESSION
URIAH HEEP'S GREATEST HITS
PATTI SMITH-RADIO ETHIOPIA
BEEFHEART still

I was distressed to see him being made fun of in the comment section of youtube's Letterman videos (and even in the interviews, to some extent.) I'm pretty sure what was taken for drunkenness was symptomatic of muscular sclerosis. I know he enjoyed his buzz, but the Beefheart we see there is the one we usually see in televised settings. Some slurring, what appears at first to be confusion, but always the same humorous, clever man. Connected to the conversation and cleve- if a tad bumbling-in response.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:49 am

Prince, buddy, pal, I know you think controlling you image on youtube really makes you feel good about yourself but you get no love or props for depriving your fans from watching some old video or performance. It's not like you will make money from it. I'm tired of it. At least give long time fans some basic love. Not that Prince would ever read this. lol.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Hey Frank remember what Bob Dylan said...

Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything.

Your relationship with Prince is vampiric.

Hey Rick! Fuck anybody who doesn't like the Captain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5dBr8kLxfY

Why, not even a rustler’d have anything to do
with this branded bum steer world
this pirate flag headlong disaster course vessel
misguided charted this nautical numbskull hull
sink in silence smoke – blow your chest out in hope
sits spread-eagle on poor men
piled high on truth mountain – last link in clarity’s chain
you’ll not be thrown but dive and sink
your pockets filled with earthly burdens
when they could be filled with light and back with wings
the sky is dark in daytime
and still the blackbird’s beauty lyrics clean
sing ye brothers and end this miserable thing
and brush the dark sky in light
and let the moon bell crack and ring
upon the mast of mercy
for she is a beautiful thing
I watched her cut with clarity
the sea of Satan’s red rolling water
that stung my eyes with vile vile brine
and clung to the vine that choked Mary’s only Son
God in vain to slaughter
I can’t darken your dark cross door no more
the light lovely one with the nothing door
and oh that pours life water
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Hm. I guess I'm fucked.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Ok Mark my friend I have to be honest and tell you that on the great and terrible DAY OF THE LORD when the heavens roll back like a scroll and the wheat is separated from the chaff and the human race stands in terror before the Throne of the Almighty to be judged their fate won't be decided by their actions or whether or not they believed in Jesus, it will be whether or not they were a Captain Beefheart fan. It is not I they make these rules. It is in the very nature of things.

Repent!

What the world needs is a good two dollar room and a good two dollar broom!
-Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am

Even Harlan likes the Captain and he hates everything. Rock that is.

You either get avant-garde or you do not.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am

Bob Dylan said Master's Of War is not anti-war so I take him with a grain of salted slugs.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:29 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Even Harlan likes the Captain and he hates everything. Rock that is.

I get avant-garde. I detest shitty singing and bad chording.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:03 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Even Harlan likes the Captain and he hates everything.

I drove Harlan to his hotel from a shitty restaurant in Madison one night in Wrathchild the Lexus. ABBEY ROAD (rock album) was in the player. Harlan knew (and sang) all the words to "Come Together." You can verify with Rob Ewen; he of the Ellison 8. Too, Chelsea was there.

It's well-known he loves Stevie Ray Vaughan (blues rocker, plays "Voodoo Chile-Slight Refrain" better than Brother Jimi [hard lefty rocker.]) Harlan toured with the Stones (rock band) and Three Dog Night (rock band), and I don't recall him disparaging their work. Also Tim Richmond and Brad Beske-the bluest of monkeys-had a sweet Pink Floyd (rock band) groove going at Harlan's Last Con. He was all over that.

So, what the hell are you going on about now?

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Love And Rockets : the self-titled album
The Who: BBC Sessions
U2: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Across the pond on a Saturday night.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:00 am

Further K-Dawg's recollections, at dinner post-Icon one year, a bunch of us joined Harlan for dinner on LI; and on the way out, we passed a band playing the front of the house, with a younger guy playing an extensive guitar solo. Harlan stopped to watch the guy's technique with an approving smile.

At the time he wrote the intro to EDGEWORKS 2 for White Wolf in 1996, while speaking of SPIDER KISS, Harlan noted in the course of the telling:
[quote]It is now just thirty-six years since the lonely night I started writing Spider Kiss... and rock’n’roll has become something I can’t listen to without my teeth ache[\quote]
Which is a very different thing from saying "I hate all rock music". But, you know. Sourcing.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:30 am

Everybody has their own taste and everything is not for everybody. I love Captain Beefheart and Mark cares less for him. So it goes. Have you ever had the experience of being blown away by something and being excited to share it and encountering indifference? If you're insecure you think there's something wrong you and if you're arrogant you think there's something wrong with them. Everyone has the right to their own taste. The only attitude I despise (endemic among music critics apparently) is the attitude that if you don't like it, it must be garbage. When I'm asked about something I don't like I tend to give an "it's not my taste" kind of reply although if pressed I'm happy to explain why it's not my taste. "Because it's crap" is not very helpful.

At the risk of sounding contradictory however, I do think there is such a thing as "bad" taste and real criticism is possible. It's not all completely subjective. I do prefer to be inclusive rather than exclusive. For one thing it protects me from getting thrown out of the room when I whip out the sitar records. :lol:

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Ezra,

Just so. I've been made to listen to Captain Beefheart on three occasions and whatever the people who love him hear, I do not. I hear...something else. But I admit that anyone with the kind of following the Cap has must be doing something. I will readily agree to the talent and ability of many musicians I simply do not like. (Recall the extensive exchange I had with Frank over Prince, who I did not dump on after he basically declared my favorite band without merit.) If asked, I will explain myself. (The Stones, for instance---great songwriting, often first-rate musicianship, but I cannot CANNOT abide Mick Jagger's voice. That is usually where I part company with a band. I do not find certain "stylings" tolerable---Tom Waits, Mick Jagger, Steve Tyler, and...Captain Beefheart. Can't help it, I just can't listen to that kind of singing and enjoy it.) This is taste, I admit.

But, as you say, there is crap. Most of Rod Stewart's catalogue, for instance. He turns me off enough that I own none of Jeff Beck's albums with him, even though I adore Jeff Beck. I am utterly dismayed that Santana is working with him. Carlos never was great at picking vocalists to work with, but he was never bad, either. This baffles me.

But in the case of Beefheart, they worked a vein of avant-garde rock that I found unpalatable. To my ear, a lot of it almost works, but that small distance between what it is and what it could be is enough to cause me discomfort. (Oddly enough, I have a similar reaction to Steppenwolf if I try to listen to an entire album. I all over Steppenwolf for a track or two, but as it continues my hindbrain starts to rebel. Not sure what's going on there, because I really should like it.)

Anyway, yes, taste is what it is.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:19 am

This was unexpected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEluA2V1A5U

I'd say she reminds me of Patti Smith, but she does not. Nice backing vox, I thought.

Rick Keeney

rage against the death of harmony

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Even Harlan likes the Captain and he hates everything. Rock that is.

I get avant-garde. I detest shitty singing and bad chording.

I missed that this was directed at Beefheart's work.

I don't get avant garde either, which means I do get it. Those other things, I don't like them either.

My fascination and acceptance of this music is driven by boredom-an ear attuned to the oddball, and bored by most pop music, and understood (generous use of the word) through a broken filter. I don't think I'd have ever been a fan if,I hadn't had my dose of Zappa, Coltrane, Bowie, Talking Heads, and Python and Firesign Theater early on. Absurdity was a sort of lifestyle for me, I'll admit. Making sense of all that domestic violence enabled me to make sense of anything. Admittedly, that's not a skill you want to acquire. Nor is it a useful one in the face of true randomness (NOTE: I did not say chaos.) Other than that, I don't know why I like his work, or Zappa's, or the Fiery Furnaces', except that it's obvious it all comes from a deeper place than a lot of things I listen to and laugh at. (Am I the only one who laughs out loud at Beefheart and Zappa? Why are so many artists so deadly serious?) I am definitely not smart enough to criticize that sort of work. Although I can say I process the music in much the same way I process the capriciousness of unreasonable physical violence; that is, an expected and unpleasant result of childhood victimization.

It all sounds weird. And correct.

And how wrong is that?

Some of Van Vliet's other artwork:

http://www.artnet.com/artists/don%20van-vliet/

Return to “Pop Culture”