THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Not what you said at all. "Good to see a woman play so well" is pretty straightforward: it implies the opposite is the norm that you've observed, that people (you) don't typically see/find women who play guitar well. Nothing in that statement asserts this is something "men" have been saying "for years" (directly or indirectly), nor gives any indication you were trying to dispel such a claim.

And no one here has ever expressed such a sentiment regarding female guitarists, so even IF that was what you were trying to express, your qualifier is ridiculous, given your audience.

It's not a PC thing if your inability to clearly articulate your point leads to people questioning your position based on how you've expressed yourself. If anything, your back-pedal is pure political correctness: "men" say that. Try again.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:No, no, I meant women don't get their props musically. I am complimenting her. For years men have said that there are no great woman guitar players. I am defending women.

PC police---weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Um. Does my buddy Laurie Morvan not ring a bell? She wrote a song entitled "Girls with Guitars", and would agree there aren't enough of them.

http://www.lauriemorvan.com/reviews/2009/09_elmore-magazine-article.html

She would personally club you into submission for the sexism in your comment.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Nooooooooo, I'm a feminist I tell ya. I mispoke.

Speaking of ladies in music, kudos to my former Prince gals for winning a big award:

http://www.ascap.com/press/2014/0602-ft ... lker-award

Keeney, Minnesota did good.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 pm

The revolution always devours its own. :cry:
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

And every revolution is a revolution betrayed.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Because every revolution is made by betrayers. How could it be otherwise?
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:46 pm

It can't which is why it's Evolution not Revolution. How real change comes about. But we get impatient and we want to help things along.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Ah, so you're a Fabian at heart.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Steve, hi. I was wondering how Tango is today. DB

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:30 pm

Another fine bass guitarist (and composer and keyboardist and Theremin player, not to mention fashion designer and model) is Cassie Taylor, daughter of Otis Taylor, a blues player of renown. Absolutely brilliant.

And I do think Frank misspoke. He does that. I think he needs to proofread more.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:31 pm

And yeah, how is Tango today?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 pm

diane bartels wrote:Steve, hi. I was wondering how Tango is today. DB

Chuck, diane -- Thanks for checking on the pup (or was this a "State of the Art in Dance" question?).

He spent some hours at a friends' house Sunday evening and suffered some gastric distress as well as his customary soreness. He had something over the weekend that caused a LOT of gurgles and pops, but that's died down.

A daily ritual now is for me to give his right rear haunch a thorough massage in the morning. This seems to help him out, though we still see the straight-leg stiffness if he pushes. I've retrenched the walks to about a half mile each versus a mile before. All of this came about as we noticed he was getting more uncomfortable and even outright painful. (Several mornings he would erupt in a series of yelps as he tried to move quickly in response to me getting up.)

The most important is his tail wag, however, and that's still beautifully strong and enthusiastic. His back hurts, his haunch hurts, but he still loves his life and pack.

Well. Except for the cat.

Thanks! :D
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 am

FrankChurch wrote:Nooooooooo, I'm a feminist I tell ya. I mispoke.

You're fond of telling us what we should look at or read. You should read Joanna Russ's Hoew To Suppress Women's Writing. Then you might understand why phrasing is important and often reveals things about unconscious bias in this regard. What you said was text book. And no, I don't think you really meant it---but it is also one of the things which the Left badly so well, that unintended paternalism.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am

In the end it is about how you view women. I want them to rule the roost. All war would cease, we would have universal human rights, love, peace and no crap on the sidewalks.

Barber is great by the way.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 am

Lori, it is safe to come back.

Return to “General”