THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby robochrist » Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Considering how many truly bad movies Robin Williams did between his occasional good ones, we can forgive Bill Murray for an occasional loser, too. At least to Bill's credit he didn't do those lame and phony sentimental bits like BICENTENNIAL MAN and AWAKENINGS. One of my least favorite genres in movie history is the sappy "heart-tug", which Spielberg kinda launched then got beefed up by Robert Zemeckis, until finally it went octane when studios cranked out formulaic "feel-goods", nauseatingly ad nauseum. Thankfully, that phase is past.

In truth, imo, all the greatest talents, including Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, et al, have very checkered filmographies. A few great credits in a long list of otherwise mediocre to out-right bad. Chevy Chase probably holds the lead on THAT front.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 am

Granted, but I still love the moment in NATIONAL LAMPOON'S SUMMER VACATION when Chevy Chase punches the moose in front of Wally's World right in the nose.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri May 30, 2014 12:39 am

Sure. Like I said, the occasional good ones.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri May 30, 2014 6:04 am

Robert Nason wrote:I was going to mention Bill Murray, but I keep remembering him in that, dreadful, dreadful remake of THE RAZOR'S.EDGE. You don't hear anyone talking about THAT film lately.

Which I thoroughly liked. he critics kept pointing out that Murray seemed to be acting in a different film than everyone else, but that was the whole point of that character. I don't think there was anything wrong with that version that couldn't be laid at the door of Somerset Maugham.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 am

I didn't see TRE, so I can't comment.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Fri May 30, 2014 9:51 am

It's just that the 1946 version with Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, and Herbert Marshall is so exquisite.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 am

I like the stuff Tyrone Power did when he had the freedom to do it the way he wanted.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 30, 2014 10:12 am

Awakenings is a really good movie. Bicentennial Man is pure evil.

How do we stop them from remaking Cliffhanger?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 pm

The film industry needs blockbusters in the same way the recording industry needs superstars. Plenty of Randy Newmans and BOTTLE ROCKETS have had successful runs due to the ridiculous numbers put up by the Sylvester Stallones and Bruce Springsteens. I make a godmillion bucks on this schmaltzy and HUGELY POPULAR album then I can finance some otherwise inscrutable artist.

The biggies ignore interstitial growth at their peril.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 am

Robert Nason wrote:It's just that the 1946 version with Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, and Herbert Marshall is so exquisite.

I liked it, but frankly I found it too clean and neat compared to both the novel and the later Bill Murray.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 am

I think a lot of the (unstated) bad reaction to the Murray version is precisely that comparison to the Tyrone Power film---not the film as such but the fact that Bill Murray is no Tyrone Power. He's just an odd-looking mook instead of a shining exemplar of enlightenment.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 am

Anybody here ever into Tyrone Power's edgier films, when he broke himself from the Hollywood system? They hit their highest note with NIGHTMARE ALLEY. My own favorite, despite the obviousness of its low budget was, was his gripping lifeboat drama SEVEN WAVES AWAY, aka, in the U.S., ABANDON SHIP (dumb title; they should restore the original). He liked playing assholes, rogues, and degenerates, and he always gave them wonderful breadth.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 am

Mark, you've got me curious enough to rewatch the Bill Murray version of THE RAZOR'S EDGE. I loved the novel in my younger days but I suspect that now I'd be too impatient with all the mystical hocus-pocus. But I often turn to the final page, because the book has one of the best final paragraphs of any novel I've read.

Tyrone Power was a splendid rogue in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat May 31, 2014 10:32 am

Ty Power was a TERRIFIC asshole in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION!

Great at behaving like a craven sniveling 'innocent" victim; awesome at dropping his facade later.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 am

Rob, you have really redeemed yourself. Really proud of you bub. If only I would. :)

Return to “General”