Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:I like Signs, woo woo.

Hated, despised, and detested Signs. Absolute piece of coincidence-dependent drivel. Only thing good about it was it had some of the creepiest aliens ever, but it was a bonehead stupid movie. I haven't seen one Shamyalan's since. I really liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, too.

Yeah I thought UNBREAKABLE was terrific. But I have seen subsequent movies from Shyamalan and I have to tell you Mark, you've chosen wisely. Each one was progressively worse. Shyamalan's problem is that he wants to be an auteur. He is a talented director but a mediocre writer. His movies do boffo box office though so the nightmare continues.

One more thing about Philip K Dick. In my opinion the finest work he ever did was his contribution to DANGEROUS VISIONS, Faith of Our Fathers, which I think would make a terrific psychological horror film in the right hands.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Shyamalan's a bad writer because - at least among outings I've seen, having lost interest in him since - he relies way too much on the "twist ending", Twilight Zone-style. Very lazy stuff which we're asked to take seriously.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 23, 2014 10:33 am

He can move a camera, he understands suspense but he has run out of ideas. Maybe he should adapt a book.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I may have to start watching Arrow, as Barber told me how much he enjoys the show and, believe it or not, I actually do trust your opinion, Keeney.

The only issue is that, now that Amazon Prime has older HBO shows, I may finally get around to watching The Wire and finish the Sopranos
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri May 23, 2014 2:04 pm

now that Amazon Prime has older HBO shows, I may finally get around to watching The Wire and finish the Sopranos

Said something similar to the missus last night; might also throw in DEADWOOD on the front end.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun May 25, 2014 9:07 pm

CLONE WARS Season 4 again

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Mon May 26, 2014 9:00 am

CHEAP THRILLS (2013).

A subtle trend in a lot of these "rich against the poor" type of films is the lack of a revolutionary bite. It' as if the directors/writers are just shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Sure, things suck right now, but what do you want ME to do about it?" Weirdly enough, I was reminded of Les Grossman's "victory dance" from the end of TROPIC THUNDER and how much it resembled the satanic waltz of some medieval satyr (regardless whether that was the director's intention or not).

There's definitely some kind of trend going on, and the one recent film I can recall that not only depicted unfair circumstances, but also displayed a convincing retaliation to said circumstances, is STUCK (2007). Great, ferocious flick...and therapeutic as hell.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 26, 2014 10:44 am

I am watching and loving PENNY DREADFUL on Showtime. If you have the channel, DVR it or something. Start from the beginning. It's easily the moodiest and best written genre show since BUFFY.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 am

BOARDWALK UMPIRE

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 am

Barber wrote:I am watching and loving PENNY DREADFUL on Showtime. If you have the channel, DVR it or something. Start from the beginning. It's easily the moodiest and best written genre show since BUFFY.

BUFFY was "moody?" Snarky and self-aware, sure, but "moody?"

Well, to each their own, and all that.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:BOARDWALK UMPIRE

Strictly junior league.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Ben W. wrote:
Barber wrote:I am watching and loving PENNY DREADFUL on Showtime. If you have the channel, DVR it or something. Start from the beginning. It's easily the moodiest and best written genre show since BUFFY.

BUFFY was "moody?" Snarky and self-aware, sure, but "moody?"

Well, to each their own, and all that.

Perhaps "Stylized" would have been a better choice.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Mon May 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Barber wrote:Perhaps "Stylized" would have been a better choice.

That, I can agree with...although GHOSTBUSTERS shares the same style, and for one reason or another I've always found that movie more entertaining.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Note: It's stylized, but most emphatically NOT the same style as BUFFY or GHOSTBUSTERS. No humor, to speak of, and certainly a good deal more graphic.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue May 27, 2014 8:23 pm

THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE; neither junior nor stylized. Thomas simply is.

Return to “Pop Culture”