Whatcha listening to?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 05, 2014 9:40 am

Doug, I hope that was a typo. Some of those tunes are as beautiful as angel wings under an intense purple light. The Human Body is great dance fodder, NME said it was the best song on the album. The Love We Make is pretty close to Purple Rain. Mr. Happy, sure, that's crap. The remake of Eye Can't Make U Love Me is pretty awful. Usually his ballads soar, but that made God snore. Jam Of The Year and Get Yo Groove On are lackluster jams at best. The second disk is classic P. Even Mark liked those tunes. Let's Have A Baby made Oprah cry!

Talk about ear candy.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 am

I don't know what it is but Slave really gets my toes tappin. It's merely a beat and Prince doubling or trippling his vocals. Simple but funky. Face Down, bad ass.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Not only not a typo, but I'm pretty sure I didn't stutter, either. F-I-L-L-E-R.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 05, 2014 3:46 pm

" Emancipation [NPG, 1996]
Writing the book for the young turks of a reborn, historically hip r&b--three disks and hours of liberation, hubris, divine superfluity, and proof that he can come all night even if by six in the morning it takes too long and he never actually gets hard. Yet although there's not a bad track in the 36, I bet he himself would have trouble remembering them all, and hear nothing that tops the Delfonics and Stylistics covers, which latter wasn't the debut single for nothing and flopped anyway. Great grooves abound, however. As does great singing. Harmonies too. Did I mention that the horns are surprisingly cool? And hey, the little guy has a sense of humor. A-"

Robert Christgau.

:)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Robert Christgau [1942 - Present]

Self-important bombast outfitted with a tin ear. Doesn't have a great beat, can't dance to him. Probably not as in love with his own voice or turns of phrase as others I can name. Completely wrong about Sketches of Spain, so why should his review of Emancipation be any different? Also, the crack about how McCartney should have been assassinated instead of Lennon, repeated from his wife, is further proof his taste is largely contained in his mouth. C-

FinderDoug

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 am

One listener's filler, another's nirvana.

CDs have made this a problem, though. Back when you only had 42 minutes on a slab of vinyl (pushed up close to 60 minutes by a few daring souls, some albums of which included warnings not to play them with a worn needle) tune selection was a normal part of the process, but when you have 78 minutes and no one telling you there's no room, I admire artists who stop at 40 minutes because what's on it is perfect.

Still, I think it's less a question of filler than it is saving a few tracks for the next album. I have at least one YES album that is decidedly too long (yes, Frank, I do occasionally find fault with them) and given how the next album sounded some of those songs could have migrated. But maybe it's also a question of how the contract reads. Rather than risk some tunes falling into the void of betw2een-album disputes, bands cram them all on this one just to make sure they're Ou There.

Then there are those albums that just feel like none of the songs like each other and it may be that the whole thing sounds like filler when it's a different problem.

(Just for the record, you couldn't pay me to listen to enough Dylan to tell which was filler and which wasn't. I know he's an icon and once in a while a genius, but jeez louise, that pitiful excuse for a voice is just painful to listen to.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am

I will give Doug points for cleverness.

Mark is right, filler is in the minds eye. Odd how Prince fans find fault with Emancipation, but critics seemed to love it. We love Gold Experience, the critics hate it. lol.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 am

Allan Holdsworth. Later, maybe Sibelius.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 pm

ON THE ROAD WITH HARLAN ELLISON V3-- "Bogart, Books & Bargains." And laughing.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 am

Dave Grusin, one of our better film composers.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon May 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Against Me, an absolutely fascinating band.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Sibelius, all the symphonies. It's a writing day.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Mark, name something pop you really like.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue May 13, 2014 1:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mark, name something pop you really like.

That I really like? Hmm. Not much. I like the Corrs. I like Rickie Lee Jones. I don't listen to enough pop to know, really. It faded out of my attention because most of it is just too frothy, insubstantial. I guess the closes thing would be in jazz---The Rippingtons sound kind of pop to me, but man can that guy play guitar!

Return to “Pop Culture”