Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:33 am

Mark, I found a syntesizer sound track for Metropolis on i'Tunes. I wonder if it may be similar to the one you wrote about.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 am

Chuck Messer wrote:Mark, I found a syntesizer sound track for Metropolis on i'Tunes. I wonder if it may be similar to the one you wrote about.

Chuck

I'd heard there was one floating around, but I kind of doubt it's the same guy. Might be. It was neat watching him. Old style synths, banks of control panels, something like you might see at a Tangerine Dream concert. Eerie stuff, too.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:50 pm

The Creative Process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjaoK6-J_U

A little skit performed by Jeremiah McDonald and written by my brother. Give it a watch if you're into good comedy. Or even bad comedy. It can work both ways.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:39 pm

EATING RAOUL MITGONG.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

Prince did Arsenio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJgt4WeD2o

A rare freebie for our purple master. Liz has a good singing voice.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Watched on Netflix: a recommendation from ATC- Contracted, about a one night stand and the girl thinks she has an STD. As Adam said, it is two movies, a good one inside a really gory horror flick. It could have been really good if it sacrificed some of the shock factor. Netflix is really worth eight bucks a month. I started rewatching Twin Peaks. I was the only person who didn't like it when it was on tv. Liked the pilot more this time. We will see how it goes.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

Contracted? Never heard of it. How did that happen? I usually don't miss new horror stuff, except when it is trash.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Watching the new COSMOS series with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Online of course. No TV.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/watch/195050051992

The first episode was kind of a meet and greet thing with some pretty cool visuals.

The second episode was an absolutely brilliant 43 minutes about evolution.

I hereby recant all the bad things I've said about Tyson. Mainly his waffling about religion and his refusal to just come out an say he's an atheist. But these shows have been as anti-religion as anything Dawkins has ever written. Tyson is just more subtle and low key about it. He presents it and lets the audience figure it out. But no mistake it's there.

But never mind that. That's subtext. The truth is that was a wonderful exposition of the basics of evolutionary theory tailored for a popular audience. I hope people are watching.

Hooray! I hope the rest of the series maintains the quality of this episode.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:11 am

Ezra, will you quit that! Tyson can be anything he wants. That's the beauty of freedom. He is an agnostic and he is sticking to that.

As long as his science is spot on, lovely for him and us.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:46 am

I think the main point of Tyson's slapdown of religiously-based science in that episode -- which I agree was splendidly done -- wasn't to attack religions per se, but to attack the idea that the Bible trumps hard science when it comes to the nature of the universe. This is something completely lost on Creationists.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Then there's the right wing freakout about Noah.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:26 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, will you quit that! Tyson can be anything he wants. That's the beauty of freedom. He is an agnostic and he is sticking to that.

As long as his science is spot on, lovely for him and us.

Please quit it with the royal we. You dont seem to understand that you speak only for yourself.

The same freedom that Dr. Tyson has to speak his peace, is the same freedom Ezra has to speak against him if he sees fit.

BTW if you actually knew something about the man youd would know that hes just as much an atheist as Ezra and I, he just doesn't have the desire or time to argue with the true believers of religion.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 pm

MLB updates.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:57 am

Have recently watched/rewatched these:

SAVING MR. BANKS - I'm going to buck the tide here. This is my second viewing and I really like this film. Disney is a secondary character to Pamela Travers, and the film is not about his redemption, it is about hers. Excellently done, all reported liberties with the facts aside.

THE GREAT GATSBY - I am a huge fan of Baz Luhrman, and this film did not disappoint. A very different kind of of telling of F. Scott Fitzgerald's story, but if you like Luhrman's style in STRICTLY BALLROOM and MOULIN ROUGE, this is a terrific third partner. Highly stylized and energetic movie.

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - One of those very cool British ensemble films that takes a disparate group of people and throws them together for the sake of humor and personal growth. Really great cast (feature a few faces familiar to fans of Doctor Who along the way), and a truly wonderful aesthetic eye makes this a lot of fun, particularly of you like adventure travel.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 pm

ARCHER

Return to “Pop Culture”