Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm

With Obama in the White House everybody just falls asleep. Trips me out.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:With Obama in the White House everybody just falls asleep. Trips me out.

Just a little hint of a reference point? A bit?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Chomskers has a great new book of interviews. He made my day when he mentioned the Dean Baker article about subsidies for art and made the claim that would eliminate piracy, much more than Copyright. Great minds think alike.

He also made the obvious point that most countries have stolen intellectual property for their move to prosperity. I already mentioned South Korea, how they went from third world hellhole to first world jugernaut by stealing from us. Now we are complaining about China. The idiocy keeps mowing on.

-----------

Chomskers on anarchism, other thangs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuiQOhNpJeE

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

We have a victim in the idiotic copyright war and it is a Republican:

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/3/4/go ... anna_fired

More on the fight to get faster broadband here:

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/3/4/mu ... he_digital

I'm shocked that I didn't merely say what Khanna said, that limited copyrights are constitutional, lifetime monopolies are not. You want a lifetime law, amend the constitution.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Frank. I have a novel on my bookshelf I wrote twenty so years ago. It's not bad.

I'm electing NOT to share it because it will be taken from me.

I also have some very cool photos of Unca Harlan which you will never see for the very same reason.

THAT is your world. Welcome to it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 am

Ffrank

You have yet to explain to anyone's satisfaction why those who create should give up control of the things they create. Once you can do that, you'll be along way to getting people to agree with you.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Chavez Dead. The media bullshit will rain down like manure from zombies. I'm tired of the stupid double standard when someone on the left dies.

I hope and pray they can find a leader and will not the US try to fuck with their country.

-----------

Lori, are you saying I should support an unconstitutional law?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm

The Canadian papers have been more or less sympathetic (though the Prime Minister has not).

Gwynne Dyer's take:

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/07/chave ... -democracy

Now the task of using the country’s oil wealth to improve the lives of the poor majority is central to all political debate in the country

Whatever his faults, he helped the poor. Something the rest of the world finds impossibly difficult. And hwatever his flaws, he wasn't even in the same ballpark as some of those oil shieks the West keeps cozying up to. . .

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I've hear some very even-handed reports from NPR on him, including a contextualizing review of why he was so pissed at the U.S. No slurs, no snide "ding dong the witch is dead" stuff. Don't know what you're listening to, Frank, but the media I'm listening to is being respectful.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:
Lori, are you saying I should support an unconstitutional law?

Point to me where in the Constitution about length of copyright. Just point to a section or clause. Please.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:06 am

I think I have to go to L.A. and see Harlan and Susan and Steve and Cris and Duane if can rustle him up this time.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

The founders, who wrote it, said it had to be limited. Limited, guys.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:37 am

I'm going to start wearing a t-shirt with the term Limited in big block letters.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 am

FrankChurch wrote:The founders, who wrote it, said it had to be limited. Limited, guys.

No one is arguing with that (I don't think) but the Constitution leaves it up to Congress to determine those limits and applications, so claiming the current copyright is unconstitutional is inaccurate. At best.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Current copyright law is, in fact, Constitutional.

I have no issues with things becoming common property. After my death and after my wife's death. My children can take care of themselves.

The trap is in assigning specific time-periods. In my case, life expectation is maybe thirty years. For a twenty-five year old it's fifty-plus. For a corporation it may last a hundred years or more.

Property owned and used by a corporation is fundamentally different than a property owned by an individual. If we can agree I'm entitled to my intellectual property for my life and the life of my significant other we can come to terms.

Corporations have much longer spans, and frankly spend a helluva lot more money and time on promoting their property than I can muster. If a company pays an individual a mutually agreeable sum for property, then they own that property in perpetuity.

Simple.

Return to “General”