Spill yer guts.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Tim Raven

Spill yer guts.

Postby Tim Raven » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 am

Rick Keeney - I won't presume that you were referring to me when admonishing the Webderpoet to create a new poetry thread, but what the fuck, it sounded like a good idea to me. So here is my first new one since you made that suggestion.

***NOTE**** this poem is NOT about my past shenanigans with the Art Deco rules. It’s about my most recent relationship, on again off again since 2005 that finally ended tonight.

Take it easy, and very cool talking to you again!
Tim

Canny Beast

As I grow older
I find my behavior
less and less embarrassing
while others find it
more and more
deserving of
incarceration

The truth behind this phenomenon
is simple.
each additional day
that I survive
makes me an increasingly
Canny Beast

This Canny Beast
can now see the arbitrariness
of your rules
and I mock you
as you call for my incarceration

This Canny Beast
sees the outrageous self interest
of your regulations
and I flaunt them
as you scream for my incarceration

This Canny Beast
can now easily detect your
hypocritical lies
and I gleefully reveal them as such
while you smash those precious things
surrounding you
and cry for my incarceration

Incarceration?
No longer for this Canny Beast
for I have survived such
unjust punishment
in the past for violations of your
meaningless ephemera.
And I can now clearly see the impotence
of your latest attack.

Fuck you
is my response
you can no longer tear me apart
for now I have the capability and willingness
to eat your goddamn greedy heart

Tim Raven

FrankChurch

Re: Spill yer guts.

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I would but it would take the mops from fantasia to sop up the luv.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Grand illusion
Spilling Carnivals
Vacant ants
Archived mounds
Civil fences
Dead Gophers

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Been doing that for a week: might be comming down with Gastroesophigal Reflux Disease. Does that count?

(Relax, it's not serious).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 am

I have the same issue, Evil Steve. You cannot sleep after you eat or drink until at least 3 hours. Avoid alcohol, coffee, acid laced foods like tomatoes.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:12 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Avoid alcohol, coffee, acid laced foods like tomatoes.
:( Life stinks.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Prilosec.

Seriously.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Better to buy those cheapo antacids. Just don't gorge, Evilone.

I eat like Rush Limbaugh's food taster and I'm fine. In the belly, I meant.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 pm

This is thread drift, but no it isn't the same or better. Cheapo antacids don't help and can in fact exacerbate GERD. I know. I have it.

Using antacids I would frequently find myself in agony after something as minor as drinking a glass of milk. I used to liken it to Freddy Kreuger slashing away at my insides. (Speaking of spilling your guts.)

Prilosec completely changed my life and lifestyle in ways you cannot fathom. You don't have to buy that brand, Steve, but you might talk to a doctor about what your options are.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I prayed and mine was healed--somewhat--you can try that too.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Back to the thread: if I wanted to post some of my poetry here, if I stuck a copyright Diane Bartels with the year on it, would violate the forums rules or Steve or Ricks policies? If not does this cite have its own copyright policy. I am not talking payment here, Frank; just a way to protect what I write as my work. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Tim, I think you are a talented poet. I like your stuff.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 pm

diane bartels wrote:Back to the thread: if I wanted to post some of my poetry here, if I stuck a copyright Diane Bartels with the year on it, would violate the forums rules or Steve or Ricks policies? If not does this cite have its own copyright policy. I am not talking payment here, Frank; just a way to protect what I write as my work. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Tim, I think you are a talented poet. I like your stuff.

I don't have problem with putting your own work up here and marking as copyrighted - but be aware it might impact your ability to submit and sell it as first use copyright.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Rick, this one is notable, it came all at once from a dream. I wrote it out when I awoke and that was about it, other than some polishing. I keep changing the title, though.....

The Consequences of Sleep
A young boy with pointed ears, hairy legs and the feet of a goat gave me a miniature horse. He said, “Keep the horse in this glass bottle with his food, and let him out once a day.”

I promised to do so, and fell asleep. I awoke two days later and realized that I had neglected my charge. I opened the cabinet and uncorked the bottle and like a tiny lightning bolt the horse shot out of his confinement and disappeared into the house.

I heard a commotion and my beloved dog, a terrier, entered the room carrying the tiny horse by the throat. The horses’ side had been torn open and its tiny screams froze my heart.

My beloved dog dropped the bloody horse at my feet and looked up at me for approval. I swung my fist down hard on his head and screamed, “What have you done, what have you done!” He ran away crying.

I picked up the miniature horse with both of my hands and she lifted her head slightly, looking at me. Her eye was small, but true. So deep, infinite and dark. She snuggled her nose once against my thumb and died.

In one gesture I failed my charge and my beloved friend. If I were a master chess player perhaps I could have seen that many moves ahead and avoided the pain that resulted.

But I’m not. And I didn’t.
I wanted to, but I’m just not that good at chess.

Tim Raven

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Rick - this one was also quick, but from a rum induced haze......

I’m in the mood for…
Breaking the Law.

Rum.
Has anyone here a nautical background?
Ships?
Boats?
Skiffs?
Speedboats?
Knots? Ladies? Are you keen for bondage?
Drinking on the water, while harvesting our bread. Anyone here get the Clancy Bros. reference?
The Best Ever.
Seven feet of water on the river, the tide is in.
Five thirty AM.
Late in the season we catch two bushels of heavy blue crabs. We toss the females back to the river gods that stare at us so severe. We feel their jealous green gaze.
It’s that river smell…
It touches your brain stem, and compels our behavior on the water.
Repetition.
We dream as we empty and bait the traps.
We work silently.
Are you are with me?
At 11:00 am, we stop ourselves with our catch and motor back to the family pier.
Drunk, bloody and sweaty, we leave it to our women to steam the fat delicious bastards. We take a nap for two hours. The deep watery sleep of a Waterman.
The cheap beer flows during the crab feast. My head is swimmy with leftover rum and the beer that I first remembered in 1981. We joke and laugh, and the music is loud. Newspapers on the tables. We gorge ourselves on crabs, corn and way, way more rum.
I miss this part of my previous life before moving to LA. This small part. The part with friends and family. I regret that I can’t go back. Most of them live and die within 25 miles of their childhood home.
But some of us are reckless. We don’t give a fuck for the rules. We like breaking the law. We like to get away with it, too. We get away with it more often than not.
Come with us or stay home where you belong.
It’s not my club. But I’ll buy you a drink.

Tim Raven

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Raven, copyright that shit. You don't want some punk kid to publish that and make your doe?

Return to “General”