THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Neglect is the worst kind of crime, in the end.

You treat people like trash, don't be surprised they act out.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Something a little less fraught with controversy (or maybe not): http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1612

Mark, this is a lovely blog! :) I'm not a photography buff, but for a while I dabbled in cinematography before digital took over. The real please of a fine lens is truly amazing. We had to check them out from the local Film Arts Foundation, along with the Bolex cameras. They had the kind with the side viewfinder which was parallax corrected. I remember shooting my way through a lot of stock, as I learned about "fast" and "slow" film, color balancing and lighting -- wow, this brings back good memories for me.

Thank you for this! Steven, if you haven't read Mark's blog post, I think you might enjoy it! :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 pm

robochrist wrote:Yet, it also comes to my attention - from student from Israel - that the policies of the Israeli government over the years have inflicted MASS poverty on the residents of Gaza, mostly in response to the Hamas takeover; poverty is a consistent formula for disaster. People grow desperate, hateful, uneducated, and easy to manipulate by opportunists. Israel restricted the flow of people an goods into and out of Gaza and 70% - 70 goddam percent! - of Gaza's workforce is unemployed or without pay.

I think Rob makes a very valid point here: with 70% unemployment, people have just too much time on their hands, and rage in their hearts, to get into trouble. Hamas also has a humanitarian wing. This element is how they apply for and obtain foreign aid. Because they can keep the grid going and water flowing in the pipes, they stay in public sympathy.

One of the two best sources for mideast news, I have found, is Haaretz newspaper. It is more left-wing for an Israeli newspaper. Tikkun magazine founder, Rabbi Michael Lerner, recommended it to his readers. The other source, remarkably balanced, all things considered, is Al-Jazeera. When they have an opinion piece, it is labeled as such, and not as news. Compared to FAUX NEWS, they actually are "fair and balanced".

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlJazeeraEnglish

For example, Al Jazeera points out that the Syrian government is currently using mortars heavy artillery to shell civilian targets; and where is the Arab world's outrage?

I do not mean for this to whitewash what Israel is doing in Gaza, but it does bear asking. Rob is right, Israeli citizens, with the possible exceptions of those on the far right, are tired of the virtual apartheid against Palestinians in their country. I think that it is no coincidence that operation Pillar of Defense comes before a national election. The Israeli triumvirate – prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu, defence minister Ehud Barak and foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman, perhaps wanted a "Wag the Dog" situation? That is an awful thing to contemplate, but politics is ugly and dirty in all countries. Israeli citizens have been protesting the current government over the last year, and there is nothing like a war to rally the populace around the current leaders.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks, Tim. Glad you liked my poem.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 am

Gwyneth M905 wrote:
Mark Tiedemann wrote:Something a little less fraught with controversy (or maybe not): http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1612

Mark, this is a lovely blog! :) I'm not a photography buff, but for a while I dabbled in cinematography before digital took over. The real please of a fine lens is truly amazing. We had to check them out from the local Film Arts Foundation, along with the Bolex cameras. They had the kind with the side viewfinder which was parallax corrected. I remember shooting my way through a lot of stock, as I learned about "fast" and "slow" film, color balancing and lighting -- wow, this brings back good memories for me.

Thank you for this! Steven, if you haven't read Mark's blog post, I think you might enjoy it! :)

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Gwyn! I had already read Mark's column by the time I saw your note. The question of RAW versus jpg has been a, well, raw one for me for years now. I have tried several times to shoot in RAW images and just never liked the results. However it isn't Mark alone who recommends the format. A friend, photographer Ralph Velasco told me flat out I am the only semi-pro he knows who continues to shoot in jpg and not raw. I tend to get the results I want, however. There is an old adage that "the best camera is the one that lets you create the image you are seeking" -- and I suppose that can be true of a digital format as well.

I noted to Mark just this morning, however, that he's intrigued me enough that I will try it out again and see if I get better results. It's rather embarrassing to be told by "pros" that I'm using an amateur format, but there it is...

We'll see what happens.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Israel has been keeping the Palestinians down since they ethnically cleansed them in 1948.

The shit flew way before Hamas.

Hamas is a symptom.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Mark & Steve,

Camera RAW is essentially a digital "negative". It gives you a bit more latitude when manipulating or adjusting your images. Most newer model Canon DSLRs (I use a 40D) allow you to shoot RAW+jpg giving you the best of both worlds (Nikon may also, but the only Nikons I own eat film, not pixels). I shoot RAW normally (when I shoot digital) and use Apple Aperture for my workflow. Apple is really good about keeping the RAW compatibility up to date and is constantly providing updates for new cameras. Adobe Lightroom is similar to Aperture and is available for both Mac and Windows environments, but I'm not sure how often Adobe updates their camera RAW stuff. Both Aperture and Lightroom are designed as RAW processors (but will work with most other formats too) and offer lightweight editing to boot (redeye, contrast, retouch, exposure, etc.) without the need to muck about in Photoshop (think Picassa or iPhoto on steroids). Neither product will break the bank either.

As an aside, I update my Tumblr blog about once a week (sometimes more, sometimes less):
http://silversunbeam.tumblr.com

My new website is taking shape:
http://www.silversunbeamphoto.com

And the old one is still available for a short time:
http://www.andrewrogersphoto.com
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 pm

One should never be bullied by pros if you have something that works for you. If you're not happy with the results you're getting or have an itch to see if you can do better (or just more) that's different. Back when I was shooting professionally, I had a pair of Minolta SRT 100s while all my colleagues had gone Nikon and teased me about it. But they couldn't do anything that I couldn't do and I liked the Minolta lenses better back then.

Likewise, back in the day I kept striving for Ansel Adams quality, so I went from 35mm to 2 1/4 to 4 X 5. (I worked at a studio once that had 8 X 10s, but I never bought one for myself---it wasn't the camera so much as the darkroom that would have bankrupted me.) I sometimes wish I weren't as "sensitive" to this sort of stuff---it would cost me less.

Andrew, I've been to your site before. Nice work.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:41 pm

I've experimented with RAW before, though with the exception of a Fuji 5100 and a Canon video cam, all of my cameras are Nikons. (N6006 film; D50; D70 and an L120).

I think the primary question has to be how much post work do you traditionally do/intend to do? While none of my camera buddies has ever bullied me, most of them are surprised. And, as I noted above, it may be a limitation in the version of Photoshop that give me less than spectacular differences in the final image. I tend towards a grainier visual style overall and as such might not be as impressed with elements of the RAW capabilities. Dunno.

Going to have to play with it again before I can call myself a big kid...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm

And I agree with Mark, Andrew. Nice work!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:36 pm

You photogs have no ego. Aww.

Barber, whatcha think of Robert Mapplethorpe?

DanielBarron

Postby DanielBarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm

The Jews did not go quietly in 1948 as they did a few years earlier when attacked by those who promised (and continue to this day) to exterminate every single one of them.

That was the problem and still is.

Hamas is merely one of many who wish to continue what an Austrian-born painter failed at.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You photogs have no ego. Aww.

Barber, whatcha think of Robert Mapplethorpe?

Love his work and the associated controversies.

Photography can be simultaneously the least, and the most, edgy of art forms.

Return to “General”