Pavilion Digest: September 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: September 2009

Postby admin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of September 2009.

Dennis C

Fires... and rare movies

Postby Dennis C » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20091007.htm
How's our guy in Tujunga doing? Cause the fires made it there...
It's pretty frightening -- they're talking September 15th for containment of this fire!!
If it decides to dip south from Santa Clarita, then it's headed my way...

If you like obscure movies, a group called Cinecon holds a Labor Day weekend film festival here in L.A. That's where I saw the uncut BABY FACE a few years back. This year they have lots of goodies like the 1932 MIRACLE MAN, STRANGE AFFAIR from 1944, 1942's NIGHTMARE with Brian Donlevy and Diana Barrymore, even the Matt Helm movie THE SILENCERS with Stella Stevens in attendance. Cinecon.org will tell you more. I will be there at the Egyptian Theater all weekend.

Dennis C

Fires... and rare movies

Postby Dennis C » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20091009.htm
How's our guy in Tujunga doing? Cause the fires made it there...
It's pretty frightening -- they're talking September 15th for containment of this fire!!
If it decides to dip south from Santa Clarita, then it's headed my way...

If you like obscure movies, a group called Cinecon holds a Labor Day weekend film festival here in L.A. That's where I saw the uncut BABY FACE a few years back. This year they have lots of goodies like the 1932 MIRACLE MAN, STRANGE AFFAIR from 1944, 1942's NIGHTMARE with Brian Donlevy and Diana Barrymore, even the Matt Helm movie THE SILENCERS with Stella Stevens in attendance. Cinecon.org will tell you more. I will be there at the Egyptian Theater all weekend.

Richard Cohen

Postby Richard Cohen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Judi Castro:

Delighted to make your electronic acquaintance, Judi!
and to congratulate Mr. C on obtaining such a nice Miami native for his wife.
Live long and prosper, compadres, and wave if you see someone driving a 2003 blue Civic hybrid.
For the record I was born at Mercy Hospital; visited a friend of my mother's there
a few years ago, only time I'd ever been back to the place (no one remembered me).

Reflections on Homeyer's Desires:

It's only to be expected the first Chrononaut will spend a certain amount of time
trying to avert great tragedies (Lincoln's assassination and so on) but surely there'll be
an arts-oriented schedule as well. Accordingly, rescuing the lost reels of "The Magnificent Ambersons"
would not be out of place on anyone's Time-travel to-do list, along with other aesthetic retrievals:
the complete works of Sophocles, the "Vic & Sade" transcriptions, etc.
But, potential time-trippers, be smart and make up your list now.
If you suddenly find yourself facing some G_____n of F____r, you won't want to be fumbling around
getting your requests in order. And, listen: I don't know of course, but if you should get the nod,
I wouldn't ask for any made-up "alternate world" stuff. Don't say you want to rescue Harlan Ellison's
Bar Mitzvah speech "Parvenus Beware." You'd probably just get your head handed to you
and blow the whole business for everyone else. Stick with documented things like, say, Lester Del Rey's
"Hands of the Gods."
OR,
if the unlikelihood of time travel puts you off,
there's still the "hidden treasure" route.
In that connection I recommend reading Newman Levy's short story "Sandy MacPherson: Book Collector"
(if you can find it: there were, apparently, various ltd eds put out over the years;
I read it in the Targ anthology "A Carrousel for Bibliophiles" years ago;
Harper's magazine subscribers can see it on the internet at http://www.harpers.org/archive/1923/03/0011999

Gort, Barenga!

Richard

Richard Cohen

Postby Richard Cohen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Judi Castro:

Delighted to make your electronic acquaintance, Judi!
and to congratulate Mr. C on obtaining such a nice Miami native for his wife.
Live long and prosper, compadres, and wave if you see someone driving a 2003 blue Civic hybrid.
For the record I was born at Mercy Hospital; visited a friend of my mother's there
a few years ago, only time I'd ever been back to the place (no one remembered me).

Reflections on Homeyer's Desires:

It's only to be expected the first Chrononaut will spend a certain amount of time
trying to avert great tragedies (Lincoln's assassination and so on) but surely there'll be
an arts-oriented schedule as well. Accordingly, rescuing the lost reels of "The Magnificent Ambersons"
would not be out of place on anyone's Time-travel to-do list, along with other aesthetic retrievals:
the complete works of Sophocles, the "Vic & Sade" transcriptions, etc.
But, potential time-trippers, be smart and make up your list now.
If you suddenly find yourself facing some G_____n of F____r, you won't want to be fumbling around
getting your requests in order. And, listen: I don't know of course, but if you should get the nod,
I wouldn't ask for any made-up "alternate world" stuff. Don't say you want to rescue Harlan Ellison's
Bar Mitzvah speech "Parvenus Beware." You'd probably just get your head handed to you
and blow the whole business for everyone else. Stick with documented things like, say, Lester Del Rey's
"Hands of the Gods."
OR,
if the unlikelihood of time travel puts you off,
there's still the "hidden treasure" route.
In that connection I recommend reading Newman Levy's short story "Sandy MacPherson: Book Collector"
(if you can find it: there were, apparently, various ltd eds put out over the years;
I read it in the Targ anthology "A Carrousel for Bibliophiles" years ago;
Harper's magazine subscribers can see it on the internet at http://www.harpers.org/archive/1923/03/0011999

Gort, Barenga!

Richard

Jan

Ugly post but good

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:11 am

Name: Jan
French eBay items for Harlan to check: http://tinyurl.com/nl4num - Italian books: http://tinyurl.com/n8jaxv
Again, if you need any copies of French magazine FICTION, always cheap:
#231 http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fiction-231-J-Vance- ... 0382788586
#227 http://cgi.ebay.de/Fiction-227-R-Zelazn ... 0400671628
#208 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-208-Fritz-L ... 0386765020
#202 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-202-R-Bloch ... 0386764618
#197 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-197-T-Sturg ... 0387240486
#175 http://cgi.ebay.de/Fiction-175-R-Sheckl ... 0388160325

Voice From the Edge, The: Vol. 3, download for $13.99 from The Talking Book Store (UK)
www.talking-book-store.com/title.aspx?titleId=7901
As a reminder, The Phantom Chronicles Volume 2 in paperback, Sep 29 - "For the VERY first time anywherethis book will have the first team-up ever of the Phantom and the Green Horneta brand new story fragment written by master wordsmith Harlan Ellison!"
www.moonstoneforums.com/showthread.php?tid=736
www.amazon.com/Phantom-Chronicles-2-Har ... 1933076577
Meanwhile, American Fantastic Tales coming Oct.1. Hulk: Il Cuore dellAtomo out in Italy on Sep.3.
More old con photos of Harlan at MidAmerican Fan Photo Archive (not sure I didn't list some before)
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/84worldcon12.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/86worldcon2.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/86worldcon3.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/con6ph1.htm#3
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/01nebs03.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/01nebs06.htm#2
And this: http://fanac.org/Fan_Photo_Album/m01-045.html
Alex Proyas about his influences - www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/12/my-influences/
Polish Masters of SF DVD - www.allegro.pl/item701147004_dvd_mistrz ... folia.html
DVDTown review of DWST (first publ. in May) - www.dvdtown.com/review/dreams-with-sharp-teeth/dvd/7030
German review of DWST (positive) - filmblog.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/?p=1754
Italian book reviews by Marcello Bonati - www.intercom-sf.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=E
"This video, by JamesCameron.Blogspot.com, details the entire story behind the lawsuit" - this calls the film an "innocent homage" and mentions Harlan got his $800.000 and credit based on an "exaggerated statement" by Cameron:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSfZ46OA68
Jeffty for free (pirated) - www.megaupload.com/?d=4HCMSSV0
Harlan Elison (sic) playing guitar (French musician) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQe_AdjhhfM
All the best to Harlan & Susan during their indoor days.

Jan

Ugly post but good

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:11 am

Name: Jan
French eBay items for Harlan to check: http://tinyurl.com/nl4num - Italian books: http://tinyurl.com/n8jaxv
Again, if you need any copies of French magazine FICTION, always cheap:
#231 http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fiction-231-J-Vance- ... 0382788586
#227 http://cgi.ebay.de/Fiction-227-R-Zelazn ... 0400671628
#208 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-208-Fritz-L ... 0386765020
#202 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-202-R-Bloch ... 0386764618
#197 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiction-197-T-Sturg ... 0387240486
#175 http://cgi.ebay.de/Fiction-175-R-Sheckl ... 0388160325

Voice From the Edge, The: Vol. 3, download for $13.99 from The Talking Book Store (UK)
www.talking-book-store.com/title.aspx?titleId=7901
As a reminder, The Phantom Chronicles Volume 2 in paperback, Sep 29 - "For the VERY first time anywherethis book will have the first team-up ever of the Phantom and the Green Horneta brand new story fragment written by master wordsmith Harlan Ellison!"
www.moonstoneforums.com/showthread.php?tid=736
www.amazon.com/Phantom-Chronicles-2-Har ... 1933076577
Meanwhile, American Fantastic Tales coming Oct.1. Hulk: Il Cuore dellAtomo out in Italy on Sep.3.
More old con photos of Harlan at MidAmerican Fan Photo Archive (not sure I didn't list some before)
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/84worldcon12.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/86worldcon2.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/86worldcon3.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/con6ph1.htm#3
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/01nebs03.htm
www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/01nebs06.htm#2
And this: http://fanac.org/Fan_Photo_Album/m01-045.html
Alex Proyas about his influences - www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/12/my-influences/
Polish Masters of SF DVD - www.allegro.pl/item701147004_dvd_mistrz ... folia.html
DVDTown review of DWST (first publ. in May) - www.dvdtown.com/review/dreams-with-sharp-teeth/dvd/7030
German review of DWST (positive) - filmblog.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/?p=1754
Italian book reviews by Marcello Bonati - www.intercom-sf.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=E
"This video, by JamesCameron.Blogspot.com, details the entire story behind the lawsuit" - this calls the film an "innocent homage" and mentions Harlan got his $800.000 and credit based on an "exaggerated statement" by Cameron:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSfZ46OA68
Jeffty for free (pirated) - www.megaupload.com/?d=4HCMSSV0
Harlan Elison (sic) playing guitar (French musician) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQe_AdjhhfM
All the best to Harlan & Susan during their indoor days.

Clipping Service

The German review

Postby Clipping Service » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:36 am

Name: Clipping Service
that Jan just linked to, translated.

BOY, do those Krauts know how to turn a phrase.....

"An open box of magnesium in Flammenzunge rain!!" "The vomit from the piston engine block!" "A real volcano smoke behind the incense of self-promotion!"

And, of course, "a man for cuddling".

Don't WE know it.

The Review:

Harlan Ellison goes off

"Sometimes, sulking, the American science fiction author Harlan Ellison, he would like to have a balanced zombie like most other people to be and not wake up every morning having to zornduchflutet. This is probably a lie. Ellison can not imagine a unzornigen Ellison. He understands himself to be the work of art, as a single guy who for decades 48 hours on day ten days a week 20 months a year is running well in the red range of speeds, without the vomit from the piston engine block.

The producer and director Erik Nelson has apparently not so much trouble with creating his portrait film "Dreams with Sharp Teeth". He just needs to bring his camera in the vicinity of Ellison and the boy goes off like an open box of magnesium in Flammenzunge rain. Ellison does not need a typewriter (yes, he is still working with such a letter piano, not) to your PC, to express himself.

This prolific and innovative writer can be so excessively vain, unjust, hurtful and autocratic, that one - it gets to the right to take statements from him or anecdotes about him - a distaste for the man is bucking that for "Star Trek" and " Babylon 5 "has delivered scripts. But Ellison was distraught said: "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" would be a surprise for them too.

"Dreams with Sharp Teeth" is in its unholy wrath forward to a musical quality. I wanted the film, like a dense, tight inclusion of a shellac-era jazz band, just listen all over again. No doubt, Nelson has deliberately narrowed his eyes, he has remained close to Ellison, he lets his many enemies, and the many angry offended not to speak. Ellison's friend and colleague, Neil Gaiman, which appears prominently in the film, however, knows an interesting justification of Nelson for: Ellison, but was his own worst enemy.

No, here we meet a man for cuddling, whether or not, sets the value to our approval or affection. But we are made of Nelson's documentation yet so familiar, as it would have to penetrate behind Ellison's many defenses, a real volcano smoke behind the incense of self-promotion. There we find a man who acts as if he had of himself, devised a good SF author, with an energy not quite of this world."

Clipping Service

The German review

Postby Clipping Service » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:36 am

Name: Clipping Service
that Jan just linked to, translated.

BOY, do those Krauts know how to turn a phrase.....

"An open box of magnesium in Flammenzunge rain!!" "The vomit from the piston engine block!" "A real volcano smoke behind the incense of self-promotion!"

And, of course, "a man for cuddling".

Don't WE know it.

The Review:

Harlan Ellison goes off

"Sometimes, sulking, the American science fiction author Harlan Ellison, he would like to have a balanced zombie like most other people to be and not wake up every morning having to zornduchflutet. This is probably a lie. Ellison can not imagine a unzornigen Ellison. He understands himself to be the work of art, as a single guy who for decades 48 hours on day ten days a week 20 months a year is running well in the red range of speeds, without the vomit from the piston engine block.

The producer and director Erik Nelson has apparently not so much trouble with creating his portrait film "Dreams with Sharp Teeth". He just needs to bring his camera in the vicinity of Ellison and the boy goes off like an open box of magnesium in Flammenzunge rain. Ellison does not need a typewriter (yes, he is still working with such a letter piano, not) to your PC, to express himself.

This prolific and innovative writer can be so excessively vain, unjust, hurtful and autocratic, that one - it gets to the right to take statements from him or anecdotes about him - a distaste for the man is bucking that for "Star Trek" and " Babylon 5 "has delivered scripts. But Ellison was distraught said: "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" would be a surprise for them too.

"Dreams with Sharp Teeth" is in its unholy wrath forward to a musical quality. I wanted the film, like a dense, tight inclusion of a shellac-era jazz band, just listen all over again. No doubt, Nelson has deliberately narrowed his eyes, he has remained close to Ellison, he lets his many enemies, and the many angry offended not to speak. Ellison's friend and colleague, Neil Gaiman, which appears prominently in the film, however, knows an interesting justification of Nelson for: Ellison, but was his own worst enemy.

No, here we meet a man for cuddling, whether or not, sets the value to our approval or affection. But we are made of Nelson's documentation yet so familiar, as it would have to penetrate behind Ellison's many defenses, a real volcano smoke behind the incense of self-promotion. There we find a man who acts as if he had of himself, devised a good SF author, with an energy not quite of this world."

Bob Homeyer

Homeyer's Desires

Postby Bob Homeyer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
RICHARD COHEN: Thanks for the chuckle. I liked the way that phrase read so much I just said it out loud. Re: Sophocles -- Amen brother. (Oh, to have had a Library of Alexandria card!) I recall hearing an analogy that stuck with me about the 7 extant plays versus the 103 or so that are known to have existed. It is as if there were just two plays remaining from an Elizabethan poet named William Shakespeare, "Othello" and "The Winter's Tale", but there were references to many other works, highly praised in his time, with titles like "Hamlet", "King Lear", "Romeo and Juliet", "Macbeth", etc.

HARLAN: Thanks for the Danielle Steele anecdote. I agree - not a bad tombstone.

Bob Homeyer

Homeyer's Desires

Postby Bob Homeyer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
RICHARD COHEN: Thanks for the chuckle. I liked the way that phrase read so much I just said it out loud. Re: Sophocles -- Amen brother. (Oh, to have had a Library of Alexandria card!) I recall hearing an analogy that stuck with me about the 7 extant plays versus the 103 or so that are known to have existed. It is as if there were just two plays remaining from an Elizabethan poet named William Shakespeare, "Othello" and "The Winter's Tale", but there were references to many other works, highly praised in his time, with titles like "Hamlet", "King Lear", "Romeo and Juliet", "Macbeth", etc.

HARLAN: Thanks for the Danielle Steele anecdote. I agree - not a bad tombstone.

Franky4posts

That Darn Fire

Postby Franky4posts » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 am

Name: Franky4posts
After watching this fire for the past few days I have to chime in and wonder aloud----(and knowing full well I have only visited this beautiful state a handful of times, never lived there)----- that there MUST be some sort of early alert system put into place by the Governor whereas they have a small fleet of helecopters that SPECIFICALLY and EXCLUSIVELY fly over traditional hot spots as an early warning kind of prevention system, so that they, after spotting a growin fire, can alert local fire stations as to where the fire is and get them out there within 30 minutes to try to contain the monsterous flames BEFORE they do in fact BECOME monsterous flames.

Every single large fire starts out as a small fire that can be seen BOTH by the smoke by day and by the light of the actual flames by night

I should think that with an air support system in place that
they can contain small fires and walk away with minimal cost to both the state and the local insurance firms instead of each year we turn on the news and see this rolling hell that stretches accross a dozen mountiansides. The stupid thing HAS to have started out as a small crisis at some point earlier in it's lifetime.

Granted- the cost of this yearly service during the fire season will break the current already shattered state budget, BUT, every year this goes on and on and on and homes are lost, lives are lost as well as long term effects from thousands of people taking in the smoke etc etc etc

I am also quite curious why the insurance companies there (who are distant cousins of the infamous MEDICAL insurance community thats fighting the current governmental proposal), isn't in the governors office today right now screaming at him to put something like this in place so that every year they don't have to pay out millions (if not billions) of dollars in claims

It's just seems so butt-backwards sometimes the way California government and California safety forces and California Insurance works

Such a waste for all involved
Hope everyone stays safe

Franky4posts

That Darn Fire

Postby Franky4posts » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 am

Name: Franky4posts
After watching this fire for the past few days I have to chime in and wonder aloud----(and knowing full well I have only visited this beautiful state a handful of times, never lived there)----- that there MUST be some sort of early alert system put into place by the Governor whereas they have a small fleet of helecopters that SPECIFICALLY and EXCLUSIVELY fly over traditional hot spots as an early warning kind of prevention system, so that they, after spotting a growin fire, can alert local fire stations as to where the fire is and get them out there within 30 minutes to try to contain the monsterous flames BEFORE they do in fact BECOME monsterous flames.

Every single large fire starts out as a small fire that can be seen BOTH by the smoke by day and by the light of the actual flames by night

I should think that with an air support system in place that
they can contain small fires and walk away with minimal cost to both the state and the local insurance firms instead of each year we turn on the news and see this rolling hell that stretches accross a dozen mountiansides. The stupid thing HAS to have started out as a small crisis at some point earlier in it's lifetime.

Granted- the cost of this yearly service during the fire season will break the current already shattered state budget, BUT, every year this goes on and on and on and homes are lost, lives are lost as well as long term effects from thousands of people taking in the smoke etc etc etc

I am also quite curious why the insurance companies there (who are distant cousins of the infamous MEDICAL insurance community thats fighting the current governmental proposal), isn't in the governors office today right now screaming at him to put something like this in place so that every year they don't have to pay out millions (if not billions) of dollars in claims

It's just seems so butt-backwards sometimes the way California government and California safety forces and California Insurance works

Such a waste for all involved
Hope everyone stays safe

Tony Isabella

Disney buys Marvel

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am

Name: Tony Isabella
I should have looked at my old Marvel contracts more closely. Apparently, I'm now the eighth dwarf. Oh, well, it's a gig.

Tony Isabella

Disney buys Marvel

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am

Name: Tony Isabella
I should have looked at my old Marvel contracts more closely. Apparently, I'm now the eighth dwarf. Oh, well, it's a gig.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”