Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

TallyJohnson

A Fish-head in aspic

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 am

Name: Tally
Source: unca20091009.htm
Great art, bad book cover. But that's just my opinion, such as it is. Hell, I'm going to buy the book regardless.

Yay for more Harlan!

ezra

Testimony from one who was there...

Postby ezra » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:11 am

Name: ezra
Source: unca20091007.htm
Don't bat an eye
Don't waste a word
Don't mention nothin'
That could go unheard
'Cause the tie-dye sails
Are the screamin' sheets
And the dusty trail
Leads to blood
in the streets
And the wooden ships
Are a hippie dream
Capsized in excess
If you know what I mean.

Another flower child
goes to seed
In an ether-filled
room of meat-hooks
It's so ugly
So ugly.
-Neil Young "Hippie Dream"

I'm not goin' back to Woodstock for a while,
Though I long to hear that lonesome hippie smile.
I'm a million miles away from that helicopter day
No, I don't believe I'll be goin' back that way.
-Neil Young "Roll Another Number For the Road"

ezra

Testimony from one who was there...

Postby ezra » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:11 am

Name: ezra
Don't bat an eye
Don't waste a word
Don't mention nothin'
That could go unheard
'Cause the tie-dye sails
Are the screamin' sheets
And the dusty trail
Leads to blood
in the streets
And the wooden ships
Are a hippie dream
Capsized in excess
If you know what I mean.

Another flower child
goes to seed
In an ether-filled
room of meat-hooks
It's so ugly
So ugly.
-Neil Young "Hippie Dream"

I'm not goin' back to Woodstock for a while,
Though I long to hear that lonesome hippie smile.
I'm a million miles away from that helicopter day
No, I don't believe I'll be goin' back that way.
-Neil Young "Roll Another Number For the Road"

Richard Cohen

The Cover's Fine

Postby Richard Cohen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:38 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Is it likely the swastika on the '...Aspic' book cover indicates an endorsement of Nazis
or fascists of any kind? Hardly. Does the swastika on "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"
suggest Wm. Shirer thought Hitler was a swell guy? And what about the countless Nazi-related
thrillers that have been published and published and published (I used to tease my thriller-reading
Dad he wouldn't buy a book that didn't have a swastika on the cover). Did the swastika-stamped
appearance of "The Eagle has Landed" ever cause anyone to wonder if Jack (Harry Patterson) Higgins
had a brownshirt wardrobe?
No no no.
Terence, this is stupid stuff.

---- Renewed Get Well wishes to Mrs. Ellison. Be all better soon.
---- Condolences to Mark Goldberg. I hope you'll be comforted in time.

Richard

Richard Cohen

The Cover's Fine

Postby Richard Cohen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:38 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Is it likely the swastika on the '...Aspic' book cover indicates an endorsement of Nazis
or fascists of any kind? Hardly. Does the swastika on "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"
suggest Wm. Shirer thought Hitler was a swell guy? And what about the countless Nazi-related
thrillers that have been published and published and published (I used to tease my thriller-reading
Dad he wouldn't buy a book that didn't have a swastika on the cover). Did the swastika-stamped
appearance of "The Eagle has Landed" ever cause anyone to wonder if Jack (Harry Patterson) Higgins
had a brownshirt wardrobe?
No no no.
Terence, this is stupid stuff.

---- Renewed Get Well wishes to Mrs. Ellison. Be all better soon.
---- Condolences to Mark Goldberg. I hope you'll be comforted in time.

Richard

Jim Thomas

Postby Jim Thomas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 am

Name: Jim Thomas
HARLAN:

Love it. If you really want to crank it up to eleven, have an oval cutout where the head should be, and have a second cover with a 2x3 photo holder with the caption: Your Picture Here.

Jim Thomas

Postby Jim Thomas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 am

Name: Jim Thomas
HARLAN:

Love it. If you really want to crank it up to eleven, have an oval cutout where the head should be, and have a second cover with a 2x3 photo holder with the caption: Your Picture Here.

Adam-Troy

Ummm

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Gently,

It is possible to "get" an illustration, both on its own merits and in the context of the author whose work it illustrates, to know exactly what it's meant to communicate and to still think it falls flat. I'm getting the book regardless -- either as a review copy or as one that I pay for with my own dime. But this is...gently, not a cover that thrills me.

More ignorance and cultural arrogance per frame than the human heart can bear. The sound of thwocking is a thousand skulls hitting a thousand desktops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVAV09- ... r_embedded

(This is apparently not real, but an expert simulation by actresses, trolling for shock value. What does it say, though, that it's so easy to believe?)

I love being a book reviewer. Currently reading: MR SLAUGHTER by Robert McCammon, a book that won't be out til January.

Adam-Troy

Ummm

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Gently,

It is possible to "get" an illustration, both on its own merits and in the context of the author whose work it illustrates, to know exactly what it's meant to communicate and to still think it falls flat. I'm getting the book regardless -- either as a review copy or as one that I pay for with my own dime. But this is...gently, not a cover that thrills me.

More ignorance and cultural arrogance per frame than the human heart can bear. The sound of thwocking is a thousand skulls hitting a thousand desktops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVAV09- ... r_embedded

(This is apparently not real, but an expert simulation by actresses, trolling for shock value. What does it say, though, that it's so easy to believe?)

I love being a book reviewer. Currently reading: MR SLAUGHTER by Robert McCammon, a book that won't be out til January.

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
I had several reactions to the cover, not all of them consistent with each other. (Do I contradict myself? Very well then ... oh, you know the rest.)

Reaction #1: Gee, I dunno if I'm gonna want to be seen reading THAT on the train to work...

Reaction #2: This is going to draw attention to the book like you wouldn't believe - which, after all, is a big part of the reason books have cover art to begin with. I can't imagine any bookstore browser coming across that book and NOT saying "what the hell?!" and picking it up to see just what kind of weirdness lies therein. And that's halfway to winning the battle to get said browser to the register with book and cash in hand.

Reaction #3: On the other hand, I think Mike Valerio has a point when he worries that the cover is going to suck all the air out of the room when it comes to the attention paid to the book. I too am concerned that it won't be "the new book by legendary writer Harlan Ellison," it'll be "that book with the Nazi cover that's causing so much fuss."

Reaction #4: On the OTHER other hand, that IS one hell of a provocative image. Evil as an empty suit.

Reaction #5: Bottom line - it's your book, and you know best what will convey the vision you're trying to convey. If you think this cover will do that, go for it.

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
I had several reactions to the cover, not all of them consistent with each other. (Do I contradict myself? Very well then ... oh, you know the rest.)

Reaction #1: Gee, I dunno if I'm gonna want to be seen reading THAT on the train to work...

Reaction #2: This is going to draw attention to the book like you wouldn't believe - which, after all, is a big part of the reason books have cover art to begin with. I can't imagine any bookstore browser coming across that book and NOT saying "what the hell?!" and picking it up to see just what kind of weirdness lies therein. And that's halfway to winning the battle to get said browser to the register with book and cash in hand.

Reaction #3: On the other hand, I think Mike Valerio has a point when he worries that the cover is going to suck all the air out of the room when it comes to the attention paid to the book. I too am concerned that it won't be "the new book by legendary writer Harlan Ellison," it'll be "that book with the Nazi cover that's causing so much fuss."

Reaction #4: On the OTHER other hand, that IS one hell of a provocative image. Evil as an empty suit.

Reaction #5: Bottom line - it's your book, and you know best what will convey the vision you're trying to convey. If you think this cover will do that, go for it.

DTS

CINDY'S last post

Postby DTS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 am

Name: DTS
CINDY(!!!!): I can't beLIEVE you (YOU!!!) said the "eff" word! (Don't you have to go to confession and say twelve hail marys and...waitaminute...wrong branch). Go now, and sin no more. :)
Love,
DTS

DTS

CINDY'S last post

Postby DTS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 am

Name: DTS
CINDY(!!!!): I can't beLIEVE you (YOU!!!) said the "eff" word! (Don't you have to go to confession and say twelve hail marys and...waitaminute...wrong branch). Go now, and sin no more. :)
Love,
DTS

Brad Haupt

Postby Brad Haupt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 am

Name: Brad Haupt
Hi Harlan, long time lurker here. I thought that I would pipe in with my own 2 cents worth on the book cover. The first thing that I thought of was Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night, which is one of my favorite books. So the fact that that the uniform is empty, and that it seems to be trying to lure the reader into filling it intrigues me. I think that it's fine as long as the story matches the cover. I don't believe that you would use the image merely for its sensationalism. My second thought was how comfortable I would feel being seen with it in public. I would feel nervous about it, but I believe that I could easily deflect anyone who erroneously thought that you or I would support nazism. I do want to thank you for telling me so many good stories, and I'm greatly looking forward to reading this one as well!

All best wishes,
Brad

Brad Haupt

Postby Brad Haupt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 am

Name: Brad Haupt
Hi Harlan, long time lurker here. I thought that I would pipe in with my own 2 cents worth on the book cover. The first thing that I thought of was Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night, which is one of my favorite books. So the fact that that the uniform is empty, and that it seems to be trying to lure the reader into filling it intrigues me. I think that it's fine as long as the story matches the cover. I don't believe that you would use the image merely for its sensationalism. My second thought was how comfortable I would feel being seen with it in public. I would feel nervous about it, but I believe that I could easily deflect anyone who erroneously thought that you or I would support nazism. I do want to thank you for telling me so many good stories, and I'm greatly looking forward to reading this one as well!

All best wishes,
Brad

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”