Pavilion Digest: June 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: June 2009

Postby admin » Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 pm

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of June 2009.

KOS

moving right aong

Postby KOS » Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 pm

Name: KOS
Source: unca20090603.htm
Unless, of course, the children of that hypothetical Christian run into someone that agrees with your rather peculiar sense of ethics, eg?

KOS

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:55 am

Name: Jan
Harlan/Erik: "Excerpt about Television in America from Dreams with Sharp Teeth" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkWnmKEvgqg (4:44 min) posted by "hpaulmoon". Asking him to delete it unless he asked for permission.

William Sherman

A Transcendent Weekend

Postby William Sherman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

As to receiving the news of the murder of Dr. George Tiller, all I might say is that "Bleeding Kansas" still bleeds. As Dr. King stated about the time I was born, actually, "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind."

On Saturday, visited Lowell, MA, to apply to work as an "extra" during filming, later this year, of a film project entitled "The Fighter". Starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, the film would be a biopic of local pugilist Mickey Ward. Producers looked for "Irish types" to fill a bar (naturally) for a few scenes. So, what the heck? Knowing the population of the Pavilion, any anecdotes about work as "extras"?

After dropping off the application, with time to kill, I traipsed down the "Kerouac Trail", visiting landmarks related to my second-most favorite Massachusetts-based writer--Hawthorne wins by ten lengths, with Thoreau/Emerson tied for show money. Ended at his gravesite, where I saw something very touching. Instead of the usual bric-a-brac left by idolators past--empty beer and liquor bottles--recent visitors left pens, impaled into the ground, just in front of the bottom perimeter of Mr. Kerouac's head plate. Naturally, I, finding a dead pen in my truck, impaled said accordingly. What a nice tribute. (When the time comes to visit Mr. E.'s final resting place, I'll place fragments, from an old Olympia typewriter, still in my attic, and shrapnel, from an M203 grenade, I collected from R.O.T.C. To allow his spirit to stay in character, of course.)

Mr. Castro: sorry about your father. Said a prayer on his behalf at Mass yesterday for Pentacost. Today marks the completion of my own dear father's 66th year on this "spinning piece of solar driftwood". Mom also turns 66 in August. My brother and I had the idea, to celebrate, that we'd drive them both the entire westward length of the old Route 66, from Chicago to L.A., this fall or next spring. Am looking for a CD collection of the old "Route 66" television series for their anniversary in August. (I remember that our dear host wrote a few episodes, so will pay especial attention for those.)

Oh, yeah. On Sunday, at 1 p.m., E.D.T., finally watched "Dreams with Sharp Teeth" on Sundance. Tres magnifique. Congratulations to Erik for producing it, and to Mr. E. for living it.

Off to replace a garbage disposal.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Rick Ollerman

Extra stuff

Postby Rick Ollerman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:11 am

Name: Rick Ollerman
Mr. Sherman,

I was an extra on "Purple Rain" way back when in Minneapolis. Long days, one skimpy box lunch, closed set so you couldn't leave, had to dress and act like it was summer in the dead cold of winter for the outdoor shots (we held cigarettes to cover the visible breath).

Does that sound like fun to you? Really?

One day one of the sets at First Avenue collapsed so the billeted us all at an old theater across the street. Local musicians, also extras, spontaneously put on a talent show. This was exceedingly cool. During a lull, somebody mummified a guy who had fallen asleep in his seat with rolls of toilet paper. We thought his was pretty funny. Then somebody ignited the paper with a cigarette lighter. I was in the balcony but I remember quite clearly a concerned citiizen waking the guy up saying, "Dude! You're on fire!"

Ahhhh. Good times, good times.

George Haberberger

Dreams With Sharp Teeth

Postby George Haberberger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:49 am

Name: George Haberberger
I finally saw "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" last night and while I enjoyed it and don't regret buying the DVD, I thought it wasn't as comprehensive as it could have been. The documentary gave some screen time to "The Oscar" which supposedly torpedoed Harlan's movie writing career, but never mentioned, "A Boy and His Dog." Also not mentioned was his stint as the writing supervisor for 80s version of The Twilight Zone. That show used a number of his stories, specifically "Shatterday" and "One Life Furnished in Early Poverty" and "Paladin of the the Lost Hour". And it was revealed that he has a sister he hasn't spoken to since his mother's funeral, but no explanation of why. I realize that that may be a private matter, not for fandom speculation, but then why even include it if it wouldn't be explained?

TallyJohnson

I made it through ConCarolinas

Postby TallyJohnson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:56 am

Name: Tally
I did well on the panels I was assigned (no one got slapped, despite several temptations), I sold all 15 books I took, met several good writers (and one jerk). I'm exhausted (next year, I get a room) but I had a blast. I eagerly await an invite back.

Thanks to all the folks who offered advice and encouragement.

Jonathan Head

Question about Dreams with Sharp Teeth DVD

Postby Jonathan Head » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 am

Name: Jonathan Head
Hi, is there anyone here who could help out this long-time reader, once-in-a-blue-moon contributor? Ive got a question about the Dreams with Sharp Teeth DVD; specifically, is there any hope that it might be region-free? (Both of the DVD players at my disposal only do region 4.)

I realise that this is a bit of a long shot, since despite searching desperately online I havent found any indication that this is the case. In fact Id given up, asking myself How longs the movie ninety-something minutes. It cant be that good then, I mean, how much Ellisonian delight and adventure can they really pack into ninety-something minutes hardly any, right? (This young man often uses denial to cope with the disappointments that life intermittently lobs in his direction)

But then I saw the illicit YouTube clip reported a few posts previously and realised I had to ask, because it would be worth sounding a bit desperate if I got to see just one minute of this film, let alone ninety-something of them.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jim Thomas

DWST Review at DVD Verdict is up

Postby Jim Thomas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:21 am

Name: Jim Thomas
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/harlanellison.php

Harlan, I will try to get those hard copies in the mail this week, but the wife is out of town for the next two weeks, and I'll be flying solo with the boys, so I might be a tad distracted.

Barney Dannelke

Studio 360

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:51 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Since it wouldn't be fair to let Jan and "Clipping Service" to do all the not-so-heavy lifting, here is a link to an interview Harlan did for STUDIO 360 on 05/08/08. There is a downloadable .mp3 format excerpt clocking in at around 4 minutes as well as the full 55 minute jobber.

http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2009/05/29

This may have been posted last year but since all of their interview links are not active at all times, in the words of Janis Joplin, "better get it while you can."

And since anybody can say nice shit about a guy ON his 75th birthday, allow me to say we're STILL glad you're here Uncle Harlan. Well, most of the time.

C'mon Josh, edit out the BURN NOTICE spoiler and post that video. Take the sting out of a suck-ass news week.

- Barney

Clipping Service

For those keeping score at home...

Postby Clipping Service » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:05 am

Name: Clipping Service
"Dreams With Sharp Teeth", a film about a man who hates computers and mobile phones with an equal passion, is currently the TOP selling doc on ITunes, perfectly designed and easily synchronized for IPhone playback.

Ah, irony.....

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 am

Name: Steve Barber

Despite a wonderful weekend with the parents -- including my first trip ever to the Norton Simon Museum (who knew they have a substantial Degas collection???) -- I am really depressed with the reports across the globe that point to our continued decline as a species. (Doesn't THAT sound all old fart and such.)

Doctor Tiller. My only solace is that the God his murderer reputes to believe in would wildly condemn his actions. The man who took the doctor's life is far below contempt, as are the people who -- knowingly or not -- contributed to a state of mind so far removed from Christianity and "family values", are theological hypocrits personified.

O'Reilly ought to be charged with accessory to first degree premedited murder.

General Motors is bankrupt. Despite the claims of the detractors, the cars they make really do compare favorably with imports -- it's the PR department who has done a poor job. I'm no fan of large corporations (I work for one), but feel for the 20,000 people who will now be unemployed.

Michael Steele, the endlessly out of touch Chairman of the GOP has declared that the party is done with apologizing for the actions of its past. Fair enough. Now begin apologizing for the actions of the present and we'll be square.

Somewhere over the Atlantic 220 passengers met an untimely end for their flight from Rio to Paris. A shocking loss, and a fate which every passenger who has ever encountered turbulence lives in fear. I would prefer to believe they are on an island in the South Pacific introducing themselves to a man named Ben.

Monday, June 1. Can I please, all Dorothy Gale-like, wake to find myself back at the Norton Simon, comfortably seated, looking quietly at a pastoral Degas?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:16 am

Name: Steve Barber

Crap.

"removed from Christianity and "family values". They are theological hypocrits, personified.

O'Reilly ought to be charged with accessory to first degree premeditATed murder."

Anyone know where to find a secondhand editor, cheap?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 am

Name: Alan Coil
George Haberberger--

You can't put everything into one documentary. And most of what you ask about is readily available elsewhere. And the rest of it can be found if you look hard enough.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:29 am

Name: Frank Church
Barber, that would be a good opening line for a short story or book:

"I was standing in the museum, looking at the pastoral Degas, when I suddenly heard a gunshot. The killer got away, running into the painting, hiding behind a flowering thing. I stepped away from the image in disgust. You can think nature will absolve you of your crimes, but nature just holds you in contempt"

-------

Roger, you are a sweet guy, but if you want a PC room you walked into the wrong one.

-------

Randall Terry, of Operation Rescue, said it was too bad that Tiller didn't find Christ in time. Sick fucks the lot of them.

-----------

O'Reilly will sneer and find some oblong box to put his guilt into. Guys like that never look in the mirror, they always look for someone behind them with a knife.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”