Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

William Sherman

Happy Passover and Holy Week

Postby William Sherman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20090603.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Why is this night different from all other nights......

Well, Happy Passover to our Jewish friends, and Happy Holy Thursday to my fellow Papists. (Remember, Friday, we fast.)

Great story about the singed copy of "Fahrenheit 451".

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

DTS

Phillip Jose Farmer suggestions -- JOSH's optimism

Postby DTS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Name: DTS
DIMA: The absolute BEST thing you and your club could get for an introduction to the late, great Phillip Jose Farmer and his literary brilliance would be THE BEST OF PHILLIP JOSE FARMER (Subterranean Press, 2005). Unfortunately, the thing hasn't been reprinted by Subterranean or anyone else (why is beyond me, since original copies of the trade edition are going for $65 and up). Since you can't get that dynamite sampler of short fiction (which includes short pieces that morphed into his Riverworld and Dayworld novels), pick up TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO, the first in Farmer's Riverworld novel series.

JOSH OLSON (nee, Josh Whedon): You, sir, are MUCH more optimistic than I. Perhaps it's due to years of growing jaded while living among the great, unwashed, bible-belt types; perhaps it was due to years of relentless, growing conservatism among the electorate (from 1960 to 2004 and beyond -- the Kennedy years were merely years of slight moderation; ditto for Carter and Clinton); or perhaps it's because from here, a fair distance for viewing I'll grant you, the majority of things still look pretty fucking broken. I'm not ready to smile, drink some brews, and start singing Barry Manilow tunes just yet (semi-obscure reference to Hellboy 2). Sitting this far away from country, I still see fear being served up left and right -- in every facet of American life. Fear: it's what's for dinner in America. That, coupled with heaping bowfuls of willful ignorance (for dessert) have left our country bloated and stuffed full of the worst traits, from coast to coast. Me? I've had a belly full.

Cheeers,
DTS

steveperry

Colonoscopy

Postby steveperry » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Name: Steve Perry
You have my sympathy. I had this procedure done Monday. The happy juice in the IV made it pretty much a Yeah, my colon, so what? experience.

The day before was not so much fun.

Dan Thorne

Eddie Izzard et al

Postby Dan Thorne » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Name: Dan Thorne
Changing topics once again. I know there are a few fans of Eddie Izzard's here. Thought I'd chime in with some info. If anyone else here is a user of Twitter (as I am), just wanted to let you know you can follow Eddie on there along with Neil Gaiman and many other authors, artists, etc.

I've become a huge fan of Twitter because I've been able to use it as a news gathering site for my favorite authors, musicians, and news organizations. You can also find various Marvel and DC artists, writers, etc. there.

(If anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, my nic is LogynxRunn.)

Robert Ross

Postby Robert Ross » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 am

Name: Robert Ross

I've been keeping a good thought for Len Wein and his family.

DIMA: I would recommend Philip Farmer's THE UNREASONING MASK. Very interesting, stand-alone, philosophical novel. I believe it's in print from Overlook Press.

And, hey, FRINGE is back. How can you not like a series that gives you John Noble grooving to Al Green?

djande

Harlan gets a mention!

Postby djande » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 am

Name: Derek Anderson
MN Author David Fingerman mentions Uncle Harlan in an interview on the "Minnesota Reads" website:

http://www.minnesotareads.com/2009/04/6 ... an-author/

In part, taken from the site:
"If your favorite author came to Minnesota, who would it be and what bar would you take him/her to?
Harlan Ellison. I think I would take him to Matts Bar. Its quiet so Id be able to pick his brain, and hopefully hed stay out of trouble.

What was your first favorite book?
I dont remember the title or the author. I was in fifth grade and I bought a book about a cougar (I liked the cover). Its the first book that I read in one sitting. As an adult, Shatterday by Harlan Ellison got me back into reading for pleasure again after college almost ruined that."

Derek

remarck

I think everyone here will enjoy this.

Postby remarck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:41 am

Name: Keith Cramer
I did.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

-Keith

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 am

Name: Frank Church
Dorman, buddy, we will let Josh become our optimism. Maybe, in a world such as this, we need it.

When we see nothing but black, Josh will give us a rope.

Josh--not a noose, a rope!

-------------

Harlan, you're a swell guy as well. You are slowly turning into Howard Hughes, but we can't all be perfect.

Pookster Supreme.

-----------

Folks, this is why I continue to tolerate Hitchens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKkOSMa ... re=related

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 am

Name: Ezra
DYING INSIDE by Robert Silverberg has recently been republished by Orb Books. It's astonishing to think this novel has been out of print for any length of time but that's apparently the case. My intial assumption would be that anyone likely to read this post would surely have already read this book but perhaps it's better not to make such an assumption.

DYING INSIDE is not only one of Silverberg's best but is one of the few inarguable masterpieces of fantasy that can hold it's own with any non-genre literary work. The book is a sad and beautiful and uplifting character study but enough blather, read this book!

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:31 am

Name: Duane
I read Dying Inside as a fourteen year old. While I read a lot of classic SF literature at that time, I just didn't understand that particular book. Thanks for the reminder; I'll scare up a copy and read it again.

ps. We both know you meant "its," not "it's." Typos happen; all is forgiven!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:57 am

Name: Steve Barber

JOSH - Again, thank you for the link. It is getting quite a bit of airplay, and I wish I could be as optimistic about what it infers...but I can't.

Many, many people to the political right are sane and rational folks who just happen to disagree with us (me) on the methods to make the country better. Understood, and that's why we call our method of government a Republic. We differ, we vote, and we move on.

But the extreme right has become far more extreme, as demonstrated not only by El Rushbo's borderline fanatical rants, but even Fox News has allowed more and more extreme commentary on its feed. Glenn Beck is edging on calling for assasination, while Hannity and others are amping up the rhetoric that somehow we -- the political left and moderates on both sides -- are "destroying" the country. (Yes, it's similar to the rhetoric surround Bush, I will agree, but as the resulting evidence will quite readily demonstrate, it was a valid criticism...and we gave him more than three months before hammering that he had run us into the ground.)

But it's the tone that is ugly. We are destroying "their" country. *We're* the outsiders. We are the demonized majority. But, to them, it isn't about democracy, it's about getting their own way, through violence as needed.

Rush, Hannity, Glenn Beck, Fox News are all blowing on the embers of this anger, and it's starting to resonate among the people who want someone to blame for their misfortune.

Yes, we're on a much better path in many ways, but those who don't see it that way are becoming more extreme in the ways they are willing to impose their will -- and as Timothy McViegh and Terry Nichols will attest, once you get enough anger inside, a person who is incited may be capable of just about anything.

(And the double edge of this sword? If Rush, Hannity and company are called on the carpet for their incitement to violence, it will only reinforce in the minds of their audience that their paranoid and extreme views are correct.)

Two weeks from tonight DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH will be screening at the New Beverly. Can't wait.

(Well, obviously I have to, but you know what I mean.)

Got the new RH!!! Loved Harlan's Open Letter.

Good stuff for the buyin', too.

AlexKrislov

Thank you, Susan!

Postby AlexKrislov » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Susan,

New Rabbit Hole and message recieved. Thank you!

Thanks also for the news of the suit. I'll be doing a news story on that over on the Netscape Books sitge.

By the way, did I say thank you?

--Alex

P.S. Yeah, I got the joke last time around.

Robert Morales

Postby Robert Morales » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:38 am

Name: Robert Morales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKvRvL5r3A

In case any of you forgot.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:39 am

Name: Ezra
Good ole virtual Duane reaches his virtual hand all the way across the virtual U S of A and slaps me on the virtual head. And some people say the Internet has no value!

Actually I did it on purpose. Just a test. No foolin'!

As for the rest of you lot, your yore you're (heh heh heh) assignment for the weekend is to go out and purchase a copy of DYING INSIDE, newly republished, to reward both Orb Books and Mr Silverberg...

This will count as 50% of your final grade...

M Jacka

Postby M Jacka » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:39 am

Name: Mike Jacka
Received the latest Rabbit Hole. Im surprised no one else has mentioned this, but it appears that the table of contents does not match the actual page numbers. Probably just the work of an overzealous copyeditor. I am sure these can be corrected in the second edition and look forward to its publication.

Mike

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”