Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

James Moran

Len and family

Postby James Moran » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:00 am

Name: James Moran
Source: unca20090603.htm
We heard about what happened to these lovely, wonderful people, and have been reading the posts here - what a terrible thing to happen, although we're relieved to hear they made it out of the house safely. We're thinking of them, sending our best wishes here, and ready and waiting to help in any way we can. In the meantime, we'll hang back, as requested by our gracious host.

James and Jodie

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 am

Name: Mary
If I may gently change the course of the posts here...

At the Alamo Draft House in Austin, TX, movie viewers were expecting to see "Star Trek-The Wrath of Khan."

They instead were treated to a surprise showing of the new Star Trek movie. According to the article on Awards Daily, it was given a standing ovation. Leonard Nimoy also made an appearance to promote the new movie (what a guy!)

The reaction to the movie was enthusiastic, by all accounts. It even received a standing ovation...hmmm.

Okay, so I may actually pay money to see this. Jury's still out. We shall see...

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

SOMETHING YOU SHOULD KNOW

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
SCOTT BRICK

is one of the, if not THE, preeminent audio talents in America today. Winner of more Listen Up, Grammy, Audie awards than one can shake a stick at. Not to mention that he also appears in a star turn in the short film "The Delivery" with yr. pal, Harlan.

As to phone numbers, Scott, if I don't have it, if you don't have mine, Stefan does indeed possess both, and likely would not mind passing same. Welcome to this mild little mire. On sum, they're a decent lot, even Frank Church, who takes a little collar-squirming to get acclimated-to. Clearly crazy as argyle socks on a centipede, but seems a decent enough chap for a guy with a bigger bazoo than even mine.

For everyone else, Len and Chris and Michael are still stunned, but moving along. I have passed on all of your kindnesses. In the rubble, in no way to mitigate their loss of the dog, but a minim scintillance of happy, they found the necklace and earrings Len gave to Chris last year at Xmastime. Small joy, but we take what we can get, don't we?

I'm off to the colonoscopy.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:18 am

Name: Brian Siano
And for your viewing pleasure, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZ5qQPw5to will take you to the trailer for _The Delivery_.

Good to know the Weins will be getting back on their feet. And later this month, I will line up an electrician to examine a region in Casa Siano that's earned my suspicions.

Harlan, good look on the procedure. This Monday, I have a follow-up on an impinged shoulder-- not as invasive, but I wish I could reach above my head again.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:22 am

Name: Josh Olson
Two links that made me very happy this morning.

Rush Limbaugh gets his ass handed to him by a caller:

http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200904070031?show=1

And Iowa Senate Majority leader Mike Gronstal puts the nail in the anti-gay marriage coffin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2s2R5qKhbo

From time to time, I actually believe it's morning in America....

Jordan Owen

The Delivery/Incarceri 9 album

Postby Jordan Owen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 am

Name: Jordan Owen
Harlan-

Where can I find the Delivery? Is there a DVD collection it might appear in? The trailer looks really hip and the audio processing, as you stated, is superb.

On another note, the liner notes for the new Incarceri 9 album are about to go to print and you were one of the people we thanked in the liner notes (your "Pay the Writer" clip helped us through some tough shit with similar people in the music "business.") This entitles you to one (1) free copy of the debut Incarceri 9 album "In Prison Till the End," should you so desire to receive one.

Let me know and I'll put one aside for you.

Have fun at the Ramrod,
-Jordan

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Harlan, that is some positive news that the Weins were able to find those items in the wreckage. I can only hope that they discover more items as they sift through the rubble.

On a completely different subject, I heard that the Obamas will be having the first Seder ever in the White House tonight. I found this news somewhat surprising, as I would have thought the Clintons might have done that during Bubba's Presidency.

Happy Ash Wednesday and first night of Passover to all those celebarating each of those holidays

Mark (who is still savoring the last slice of Tropical Chicken Pizza that he will be able to have for a week)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:10 am

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN: I'm sure we all have thought that the Wein's tragedy could have happened to any of us. That noted, and given the nature of your own library and collection, have you given any thoughts as to your own preventative measures in the event of fire?

No need to respond. I'm sure the thoughts was there, but I have to maintain my reputation for stating the absolutely obvious.

JOSH - Loved the link.

The sad thing is Limbaugh lost not even a moment's hesitation in claiming victory. If you don't agree with him, you're not a true Republican, and therefore you're dismissed. It's a classic technique. Very "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"-esque in the way it cuts undesirables from the herd -- rather than debating (or attempting to), he might just as well pointed a finger and shrieked a'la Donald Sutherland. And still his listeners would have thought he won.

And the embarrassing thing? He never refuted, never denied the accusations of fascism and torture.

The man is just a horrific example of the mindstate of some of our countrymen/women.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
I'm sure you all know this already, but yesterday Vermont overrode its governor and became the first state in the nation to legislate gay marriage (the other three did it by court order). God, I love living in this state.

Harlan, like everyone else here, I stand ready and willing to do whatever I can to help the Weins. Just let us know.

Steve - I just went to Chris's website and listened. Damn. She's gorgeous AND she can sing? I'm so jealous.

shagin

Postby shagin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:06 am

Name: shagin
As for remains salvaged from the ashes, what should happen to survive hubby's house fire years back?

A slightly singed copy of Farhenheit 451.

shagin

Adam-Troy

Just Sayin'

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
The launch of Mark Evanier's efforts to get Len Wein replacement copies of his own work have just yielded, from good guy Dave Smeds, an offer to pop in the mail a full run of Wein's issues of SWAMP THING, mylar-bagged. It may not sound like much. They're just comics. But those eleven issues are DAMNED DIFFICULT to replace and are one of the highest achievements of Wein's career. So: small thing. But I think, also, a breathtaking one.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:13 am

Name: Jan
Jordan, the short film is included in the Lewis Carroll Box Set audiobook from Blackstone.

New interview with Adam-Troy Castro: http://verbeat.org/blogs/pwt/2009/04/in ... astro.html

KOS

Eight days of tuna

Postby KOS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Name: KOS
There is a writers workshop/support group of which Gary Lee and I are members. Meeting every month or so, we gather at the offices of a member whose day job is as owner of a large catering company. He has a beautiful display room with largish dining table for hosting potential clientele. We spend three or four hours about said chewing on one anothers screenplays, or stories as the case may be, and then:

The caterer opens his larder, allowing us to raid his walk in refrigerator for the leftovers from that days batch of sandwiches made for various vendors. Typically there are a few chicken salad, one or two vagrant ham and chese, and a great quantity of tuna salad on whole wheat.

Free food, especially of the quallty of Jonathan's (he's British, and forget what you may have heard of British culinary skills. He's a genius!) is never turned down by me.

This past week, after the meeting, I obtained two large paper grocery bags full of tuna asandwiches. Over twenty, plus a few turkey and one blessed brekfast ham and egg on bagel.

You have to eat the tuna in a week to ten days, so I am now on my eighth day of tuna for lunch and, presumably once again tonight, tuna for dinner. Another day or two, and I can eat the turkeys. I am tired of belching mercury and fish oil. I'm toxic.

After eight days it tastes nothing like chicken.

I read the A-TC interview,and noticed his photograph, which revealed he looks much as I imagined. Writerly. Although I note a close resemblance to a certain famous fan. We all have our doppelgangers, apparently. There was, in the mid-seventies, a fan that attended midwestern SF conventions, with a name tag of "Cordwainer Bird", who looked very much like HE circa 1957. I was told, years ago, that mine is Mr. Bean. At the time I was unfamiliar with Rowan Atkinson (who is, of course, he who portrays The Bean). The first time I saw him, he made a face that I had often seen in my mirror. Creepy.

I seek knowledge of a fruit, one that might plausibly be found on a tree in a suburban American backyard, that would have red juice (the closer to blood red the better) and that the juice of would further be such as one might prepare a sauce from, one that might be excellent for a roast meat such as, let us say, pork?

I am working on an horror story which needs this fruit as an important plot device. I'm thinking there may be a variety of plum that would suffice. Any ideas?

KOS

infomite

Blood Red Fruit of North America

Postby infomite » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Name: infomite
KOS,

At first blush (pun intended, sorry), my thought in the plum family would be the Elephant Heart Plum (aka Blood Plum). http://www.arboreum.biz/t/categories/as ... hant-heart The skin is an unremarkable mottled color, but the flesh is a rich, dark red. When pulped and reduced into a sauce, would have exactly the coloration you're looking for. It ripens in late summer/fall, so that might have an impact on the story -- unless they are canned or preserved plums...

Outside of the plum family, there are several cherry varieties that would produce the effect that you're looking for. Generally, they ripen in June.

Outside of tree-borne fruit, you have strawberries -- pulped and reduced to a very rich red sauce. They tend to ripen in late spring or early summer.

And finally--technically a fruit, but most don't realize it until reminded--tomato. It ripens from late June into August.

All of these can be found in a typical backyard of American suburbia, and all of them can and have been reduce into sauces for ham.

Hope some of this helps,

informationally,

the mite

Dima

HERC and other miscellany

Postby Dima » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Name: Dima
Hello all,

Susan: just to let you know I received RH#48 today, thanks! In looking through my pile, however, I realized that I never got # 46. I'm not sure what happened, as our mail here is generally reliable. Could I please request another copy? Thank you! (Btw, I'm member # M1066).

In other news, I recently came across a copy of "Gentleman Junkie" at my local used bookstore, and enjoyed it greatly. It's always nice when I happen to find gems like that :) If anyone is interested in discussing any of the stories I'd certainly be willing.

I've been meaning to ask people around here for a suggestion. I'm in a (2-person!) book club, and it will be my turn soon to select a book. I'd like to pick something by Phillip Jose Farmer, as my only experience with him is DV, and everyone's comments here piqued my interest. The other book club member is not a big science fiction fan, and I need a stand-alone book (not part of a series). What would be a good selection in your opinions? I did this recently with Octavia Butler (we read "Parable of the sower", which we both enjoyed). Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Dima

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”