Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

shagin

Ellison Converts -- Today a friend, tomorrow the world!

Postby shagin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Name: shagin
Source: unca20090314.htm
A friend of mine recently checked out a selection of Harlan Ellison stories read by His Masterful Self from the local library. Whether she did so out of a genuine interest or self defense because I mention HE with every other breath.

She regularly listens to audiobooks (Her thoughts on the Kindle issue? "Why do I want to buy a special machine to listen to a book when I already have a CD player?") and went on and on about how much she enjoyed listening to Harlan read his own work. She was amazed at the "detail and life he brought to the bag lady in 'Soft Monkey'. Have you read that one yet?"

I stated that I had, adding that the life he brought to the character was because he granted her the status of a human being and not merely a collection of labels.

My friend thought long and hard about that for the rest of the evening. I lent her "Paladin of the Lost Hour". Boy is she in for a treat.

shagin

Jan

Cool things to look forward to

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:53 am

Name: Jan
IGN: So what's next for you?

SHATNER: I've got four comic books coming out. Four lines. A remake of Star Trek and three others that'll be out through Blue Water. They're all sci-fi. One's more horror than sci-fi.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 am

Name: Alan Coil
Jan--

Although I appreciate that you might have enthusiasm for a Shatner comic book, believe it when it is in your hands. Aside that Shatner probably won't be writing the book (he's used a ghostwriter before), Bluewater is a suspect company. I wouldn't buy nor read one of their comics if I was offered money to do so.

John E Williams

Scans_Daily is Dead

Postby John E Williams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 am

Name: JohnEWilliams
And Peter David pulled the trigger.

Scans_Daily was a comic community based on Live Journal which posted scans of comics on a daily basis (hence its name). The scans ranged from one or more panels with comments to postings of entire issues of comics without any apparent regard for, say, copyright issues. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of what happened (I believe it was yesterday), but apparently Peter David was responding on an LJ account to some Live Journalist's review of one of his comics, a review in which said LJ-er advised David to "DIAF" -- Internetspeak for "die in a fire". Said advisement to self-immolate is apparently a common communication among online netspeakers, but since Peter David lives in some alien land called The Real World, he took some exception to this. Now, somewhere amongst all the hoo-hah he noticed there was a Scans_Daily link to an entire issue of the comic in question, so he reported said scan to Marvel, who apparently asked Live Journal to shut down Scans_Daily for good, and LJ immediately complied. (That would explain all the shrieks of outrage you heard when you turned on your computer this morning.)

Where the situation stands now (and I am reporting this after a quick skim of several comics blogs, so excuse any inaccuracies on the finer points) is that the LJ comics community is outraged and has declared Peter David a rat and a stoolie and Nerdlic Enemy Number One. Among the cries of the righteous: that sites like Scans_Daily do the comics companies' marketing jobs for them, that fans who make creators' work available for free to others are actually doing the creators' a huge favor by "exposing" their work, and that Scans_Daily was shut down because it was run by women. I wouldn't go near that last point with a ten foot pole, but the other rationales are nothing new, are they? One becomes weary hearing and reading them over and over again, often (in my case) from intelligent, articulate people who should know better. They're never going to get it and they're never going to go away.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 am

Name: JohnEWilliams
Double post, sorry: David's summary of the whole sorry situation is here:

http://www.peterdavid.net/index.php/200 ... ans-daily/

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 am

Name: Josh Olson
God forbid a man shifts in his seat during a two hour movie.

On the other hand, I looked over at Harlan once, and saw him sitting there, perfectly still, a half full coffee cup in his hand. An hour later, looked over, same position. Like THAT'S not disturbing.

It dawned on me that he might be dead, and I'd have to make the call to Neil:

"Hey, Neil. Josh Olson. Good news, bad news. Good news is, Harlan was really digging Coraline...."

Alan Coil

John E

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 am

Name: Alan Coil
First, you're about 3 days late.

Next, you have misrepresented the entire situation.

Next, Scans Daily is already back up and running under a different name.

Next, the entire thing happened because Scans Daily violated copyright. You'll find no sympathy for that here.

And for your information, Peter David and Harlan Ellison are good personal friends.

Lastly, as this is going to be a long, crapfest of an argument, I'd suggest we take it over to the forum under Pop Culture.

Adam-Troy

Sitting Still In Your Seat

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Many years ago -- I could figure out how many by the release date of the terrible movie in question, but fuck it -- I viewed a current movie in a theatre where one entire row of seats had been unbolted from the floor, except at one end, while the others remained bolted to each other at the armrests.

The row, freed to seek its natural curve, seemed to have only tenuous connection to gravity and, when not weighed down by the butts of the audience, bobbed above the sticky floor at about knee-level. During the film audience members took turns sitting in the middle seat while other audience members grabbed hold of one seat at the loose end and violently cracked the whip, making the entire row go whoopsy-daisy in waves.

It was the only time I have ever literally had that overused critical phrase, "like a roller-coaster ride," in a movie theatre.

TallyJohnson

Thanks for all the advice

Postby TallyJohnson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:01 am

Name: Tally
Sadly, I'm too pressed for time to go back and name everyone individually, but thanks for all the advice concerning my first guest appearance at a con. Debbie, thanks for coming by to see me at the SC Book Festival Saturday. Hope the snow didn't wreak too much havoc on your weekend and that the book was enjoyable.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 am

Name: Steve Barber

(Josh - If you saw this in Hollywood, I assume you were able to borrow a coke mirror off another audience member to check on Harlan's health.)

Years ago one of my wife's cousins passed away back in Grand Prairie, Texas. His family was around him and he went peacefully. So peacefully that one of his grandchildren tried to reassure everyone by blurting out "He ain't dead, his eyes is open!"

F***in' A! This is No Cussing Week in &%$#ing L.A. County. G*dD*mn what a &%#$ing great idea! No Sh*t! A G*dD*mn, mother&*%$#@ of a b*tch*n' idea. J*s*s Chr*st what a %$#@ing great idea. Only a &^%$ing dumb@$$ would %$#@* about this &%$#*-%$# &%$# %$&& of a %$#@ &*%$# idea.

(Never see this kind of thing in f***in' New York, lemme tellya.)

ALAN COIL - I think you and JohnE are on the same page. Reread his post.

SHATNER. I am loath to admit it, but I kind of like his interview show on Bio (Shatner's Raw Nerve). I approached it hoping for a train wreck -- and don't get me wrong, there are definite train-wrecky moments -- but he asks questions you don't normally see on Oprah (not that I have ever watched Oprah). I keep hoping he someday gets the cajones to invite Unca Harlan on the show. THEN we'd see fireworks...

Big presentation this afternoon. I'm in a suit and everything. No comments from the peanut gallery. And no pictures, please.

john zeock

Quatermass

Postby john zeock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:44 am

Name: john zeock
Ezra- actually Quatermass and the Pit in its 6 part, 3 hour BBC version may possibly be the best SF script ever written.It's staggering to think that it ran 50 years ago; shut down pubs and had Parliament reschedule for its final 2 episodes. And in case no one's ever seen it I won't go into the conclusions but does anyone think one of our networks would run a miniseries that ends the same way ? There was a miniseries after Pit called simply Quatermass in the four part,four hour series and The Quatermass Conclusion in the 2 hour movie version.Nigel Kneale was working on a prequel ,Quatermass And The Third Reich, when he died. We don't know if he finished it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 am

Name: Frank Church
Uncle Harlan, KOS did it; he put gum in my hair and laxative in my chocolate milk.

I asked Barber to nuke that forum. Everybody has their pet issues; I will leave it at that.

-----------------

Lani Guinier said something pretty great in defense of affirmative action. She mentioned how someone may get a 15 on their SAT, while someone else get's a higher score, but what if the person who scored 15 answered the correct questions that the higher scorer got wrong? It's deeper than mere test scores.

There's also the fact that SAT tests are culturally biased. What if a test says, "name this person: -------- Washington." White kids will say George of course, but what if the black kid says Harold? Would he get the question wrong?

Tony Isabella

I am a rat!

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Name: Tony Isabella
Just for the record...

When I see my copyrighted work posted online without permission of the copyright holder, even if I'm not the present copyright holder, I report the infraction to the copyright holder.

DC Comics may be utter assholes when it comes to screwing me over and not reprinting my Black Lightning work, but, at least there's some remote chance of my getting paid for same.

I get nothing from online thieves posting my work.

So, screw them painfully in the smelly basements of the parents who failed to teach them right from wrong.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Name: Josh Olson
I just saw 30 Century Man at the Nuart last night. I'm still taking it all in, still shaken and awed. I spoke to our esteemed host today, and his ignorance on the subject of Scott Walker dwarfed even my own, and I didn't want to do a half-assed job, so I'm calling on any of the Webderlanders who have enough familiarity to speak with authority to explain to Harlan - and the rest of us - who and what Scott Walker is and was. But please - no half assed Wikipidia rehash. I want to hear from someone who's already there, if you know what I mean.

I will say this - aside from being blown away by what I saw and heard, I'm not sure anyone can possibly live up to the definition of the word "artist" to the extent that Walker has. He makes Van Gogh look like a craven market chaser.

If this movie is playing in your hometown, and you want to see a portrait of a unique visionary artist, you won't see a better movie this year.

David Savage

Postby David Savage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Name: David Savage
I thought I'd de-lurk and just post a few words on Scott Walker (as the lush 'Scott 2' plays in the background) in case anyone was interested in a few albums or songs to look out for.

Scott first found fame in The Walker Brothers (not really brothers), an American band who made it big in the UK in the mid-60s. They released some fine singles like The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More, but things got really exciting when Scott went solo.

The essential recordings are the albums he released between 1967-69: SCOTT, SCOTT 2, SCOTT 3 and - no surprises here - SCOTT 4. (We're very lucky here in the UK - we can buy the remastered CDs of each of these for a mere 3 each in the Fopp chain of shops!)

The highlights of these, apart from the voice itself (which would probably have sounded great simply gargling mouthwash, let alone singing such great songs), were Scott's own accomplished compositions, such as Plastic Palace People, Big Louise and Montague Terrace (In Blue), and his masterful covers of material by Jacques Brel: My Death, If You Go Away (these two spinechillers are Scott Walker essentials), Next, Amsterdam, Jacky and several others.

For some, Scott 4 is the best of the quartet, containing exclusively Scott's own compositions, including three of his best: The Seventh Seal, The Old Man's Back Again, and the beautiful Angels of Ashes. But this album didn't sell at all well. Scott himself said of the album "Scott 4 tried to link lyrics by Sartre, Camus and Yevtushenko to Bartok modal lines, but nobody noticed" and he was probably right about that.

There's a very good compilation album of those first four solo albums called 'Boy Child,' focusing on Scott's own compositions - but really you also have to hear him do Brel.

Scott became quite a recluse thereafter. And as he hid away from the business, he became seen more and more as an enigma.
Over the next few years, he bowed to pressure from shortsighted record company executives, and probably figured that people didn't really want to hear his own stuff, and mainly focused on releasing albums of cover versions, including some country and western songs. Many consider these fairly disposable, though for some, Scott singing *anything* was worth having.

For a while he reformed The Walker Brothers with some nice results, including a fine cover of 'No Regrets.' Their 1978 album 'Nite Flights' took things to the next stage. It contains four tracks by Scott, seemingly influenced by David Bowie's experimental pop work with Brian Eno on Bowie's album "Heroes" - and, of these, 'The Electrician' is a standout and quite extraordinary.

After this album there was no more compromising for the again-solo Scott and his releases became less frequent, increasingly experimental and, to some, increasingly impenetrable. They are Climate of Hunter (1984), Tilt (1995), and The Drift (2006) and liking the classic early stuff doesn't necessarily mean you'll like them. They move away from conventional song structures and Scott moves away from conventional singing, certainly away from the style that made him famous. They'll alienate some, but others will love them, or at least find them intriguing.

For anyone interested, I'd suggest starting off with Scott 1-4, the Boy Child compilation, or the 'Scott Walker - Sings Jacques Brel' compilation and going from there.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”