Pavilion Digest: July 2008

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: July 2008

Postby admin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:54 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of July 2008.

Dennis C

A few notes of interest

Postby Dennis C » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:54 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20080731.htm
1. Here's an interview with Arthur C. Clarke from a few years ago you all may enjoy:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw19051.html

2. Just read that Robert Carlyle may take over the role of Dr. Who. A fine actor -- that would be quite a different direction for the good doctor but, I think, an interesting one. That's if Tennant is all through doing it -- and who knows about that?

3. It is my somewhat sad duty to inform all of you that they're doing a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I didn't even know this was in the works, but I just saw the trailer. Urgh. Forget the style and substance of the Robert Wise classic. Looks like a mess. But I will say they tapped the right guy to play an alien who hasn't mastered human emotions: Keanu Reeves. I'm not a fan of his outside of THE MATRIX, but the role seems to fit him. And they've put good actors in supporting roles (Kathy Bates, John Cleese). Jennifer Connelly plays the Patricia Neal part. But it's directed by... (wait for it)... the guy who did THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE and wrote one of the URBAN LEGENDS films. Written by a guy who's only had one other film produced (THE LAST CASTLE). As I most emphatically said: Urgh.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:26 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
"3. It is my somewhat sad duty to inform all of you that they're doing a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I didn't even know this was in the works, but I just saw the trailer. Urgh. Forget the style and substance of the Robert Wise classic. Looks like a mess. But I will say they tapped the right guy to play an alien who hasn't mastered human emotions: Keanu Reeves. I'm not a fan of his outside of THE MATRIX, but the role seems to fit him. And they've put good actors in supporting roles (Kathy Bates, John Cleese). Jennifer Connelly plays the Patricia Neal part. But it's directed by... (wait for it)... the guy who did THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE and wrote one of the URBAN LEGENDS films. Written by a guy who's only had one other film produced (THE LAST CASTLE). As I most emphatically said: Urgh."

Great. Maybe they can get around to that remake of CITIZEN KANE next.

D.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:45 am

Name: Alan Coil
"Cable network AMC has announced that Jim Caviezel and Ian McKellen will star in its six-part reinterpretation of the sci-fi classic."

To be polite, I must mention that I found this at http://blog.newsarama.com/

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 am

Name: Steve Barber

*sigh*

Why do producers always want to remake the movies that were done RIGHT? There are thousands of films that could have been classics, but were screwed up by any number of problems.

(An instant example is DAMNATION ALLEY, which was an abysmal film despite a very cool truck and a pretty kick-ass nuclear war sequence. It's based on a very good Roger Zelazny book which is nothing like the filmed product. Go back and do THAT one, guys, and leave the classics alone. You'll suffer in comparison. Trust me.)

Carlyle as the new WHO? Well, he seems to possess one very necessary talent:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3330447616/nm0001015

He can run.

Robert Ross

REMAKES

Postby Robert Ross » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:16 am

Name: Robert Ross
When I read that a new version of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL was in the works, the first thing that popped into my head: Could it be that this version will have the surprise ending of Harry Bates' story, "Farewell to the Master"?

Michael Mayhew

flotsam and jetsam in five parts

Postby Michael Mayhew » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:24 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
1) LATE TO THE PARTY but really enjoying it: I've been watching Mad Men on DVD the last few days. Damn that's a smartly written and acted show. Main character is wound up like an eight-day clock; watching him try to keep his life compartmentalized (and at the same time, live by his own odd code of ethics) is fascinating.

2) I'm in the thick of Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts. I bought it because I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box so much. In this collection Hill seems to have staked out a fascinating middle ground between genre fiction and "literary" short stories (literary being a fancy word for a closely-observed, slice-of-life with a small epiphany at the end)(epiphany being a fancy word for... oh, never mind). The guy is a big talent I think, taking the family business to places even more interesting then either of his very gifted parents. Best part for me is he's reminding me again of what I like about short stories - the cognac of fiction.

3) speaking of distilled things, I learned a new word the other day: vincotta, which is sort of like basalmic vinegar without the vinegar. For those who don't already know, it's a slightly sweet concentrated liquid that is handy for making sauces and salad dressings. A restaurant I was at the other day used it on a couple dishes. Tasty. And I like learning words.

4) I third (or fourth or fifth) the Wall-E recommendation. Not just a sweet and funny movie, but also, in it's view of us and where we're headed, a sad one. The folks at Pixar are smart enough not to push that aspect of the film, they are entertainers first and gifted ones, but the undercurrent is there and I think it's what makes this film art.

5) I do wonder though, what sort of a deal at the crossroads the Pixar guys struck. Nine feature films and the weakest one is Cars?! Those guys are beginning to cross over from massively talented to spooky talented.

MM

tyg

Harlan, about what we discussed

Postby tyg » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 am

Name: Tom Galloway
The person in question looks to be around here in early August. I'll see what I can do.

Dennis

Day The Earth Stood Still

Postby Dennis » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:07 am

Name: Dennis
The best comment I heard about the remake was by Patricia Neal. She came to the annual SF film marathon in Columbus. When she took questions from the crowd, someone mentioned the remake to her. She asked who was staring in the remake. When we told her it was Keanu Reeves she replied, "Who?"

Gary Mark Lee

REMAKE

Postby Gary Mark Lee » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am

Name: Gary Mark Lee
When I first heard they where going to remake THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL with Keanu Reeves I was appalled, its one of my all time favorite movies, then I realized everything would be alright, I mean Reeves is going to play Gort right?.

Gary

David Loftus

Patricia Neal

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 am

Name: David Loftus
:: The best comment I heard about the remake was by
:: Patricia Neal. She came to the annual SF film marathon
:: in Columbus. When she took questions from the crowd,
:: someone mentioned the remake to her. She asked who was
:: staring in the remake. When we told her it was Keanu
:: Reeves she replied, "Who?"

The sad thing is that this will be the response of more people on the street today in reaction to her name than to his.

Ms. Neal is getting around these days. Two weeks ago she was the honored guest at the Last Frontier Theatre Conference in Valdez, Alaska. (No, I wasn't there, but a friend and acting colleague told me about it, and I'm interested in going next summer.)

Quick, without looking it up: How many of you can name husband in the 1960s? He's been mentioned here admiringly before.

john zeock

GET WELL SOON

Postby john zeock » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 pm

Name: JOHN ZEOCK
Howard Waldrop -June 17, 2008-quintuple bypass-doing well. JZ

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Name: Frank Church
Roald Dahl. No, I didn't look it up.

----------------

KOS. you are a guy, right?

Kimmy, thanks for the solid. Sculpting rainbows.
--------------

The Last Castle was a trip. The only film that was both pro-military and anti-military.

Adam-Troy

Ummmm

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Frank, I can think of SEVERAL films, from classics to turds, that were both pro-military and anti-military. That category would include just about every to-hell-with-the-army comedy where the squadron of losers pulls it together in a crisis (including STRIPES); and it would include every film where the grunts behave with courage and honor and the officers harass them (including PATHS OF GLORY).

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Name: Rob
A-T:

"I can think of SEVERAL films...that were both pro-military and anti-military...that would include...every film where the grunts behave with courage and honor and the officers harass them (including PATHS OF GLORY)."

PATHS OF GLORY?

I dunno:

Before an entirely guided res gestae by a corrupt upper brass, officers who tried to apply justice in the military process failed completely, and soldiers in the ranks became pawns of pointless martyrdom.

I COULD be missing something, but where exactly was the "pro-military" message?

PATHS OF GLORY was one of the most existentialist war films I'd ever seen.

Your broader thesis is correct; but I miss this one as an example.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”