Pavilion Digest: June 2008

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: June 2008

Postby admin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:35 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of June 2008.

Faisal A. Qureshi

Frank Zappa

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:35 am

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Source: unca20080731.htm
Hi Harlan,

You can pick it up from Amazon Marketplace for $7.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Stranger- ... 034&sr=8-2

Best.

FAQ

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** Sincere thanks on the response. I figured it was probably something like that but considering the potential in each of those associations it was too much for me to resist pestering.

From the small amount I know of Mr. Trumbo he seemed particularly like someone who would have been well worth knowing.

Have a good weekend folks.

- Barney

Pogue

Patton Oswalt

Postby Pogue » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:32 am

Name: Pogue
It had to happen! Ellison, one of my favourite people, breaks bread with one of my favourite comedians. Tell Mr. Oswalt I have loved him since I first saw him on TV describe himself as looking like "a lesbian dwarf". Whenever I am bored, I go to YouTube and watch any of a number of Mr. Oswalt's routines which make me laugh till I hurt.

Jes

Postby Jes » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 am

Name: Jes
Just piping in 'cos of the brief talk of Dalton Trumbo. I read Johnny Got His Gun in my early teens, when I was still forming myself as a person (hell, does it ever stop? maybe when I'm 80 I'll know who I am), and it's one of several works I discovered at that time - including our gracious host's 'The Deathbird' and Stephen King's It - that really shook me. Just sayin', is all.
(It, for all the faults you can level at it, was devastating to read as a boy entering adulthood and leaving certain friends and things behind - they all forget each other! After all they went through! When I was 13, it broke my heart.)
Hope everyone's having a capital weekend.
Jes
Ps. Doctor Who's latest episode, Stephen Moffat's 'Silence in the Library', aired last night, and you're all in for a treat. It's no 'Blink', but then there's a second part to come, and it may yet to prove to be better. Nevertheless, I urge you to make sure you catch it when it arrives over the pond.
Pps. Anyone here catch the Lost finale?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:43 am

Name: Steve Barber

Cris and I have eaten at Suzanne Tracht's restaurant here in Long Beach ("Tracht's") and found the food absolutely wonderful. (Tracht's the head chef at Jar.)

And who better than Remy himself to lead the party?

(Which reminds me we still need to get you and Susan down to Prizzi's Piazza for the eye-rolling garlic bread.)

Huge fire at Universal Studios this morning.

I should note that the pics Jan notes as "old news" are pics he sent to me just the other day. (Hmm. Maybe I ought to check the copyright on them, since Jan appears in both sets...)

Lastly, I am honestly furious at Clinton's camp this morning. Having demonstrated a real predilection to stamping their feet and whining whenever they did not get their way, after nine hours of apparently very testy "negotiation" yesterday, they were given a very generous concession by the DNC yesterday (Florida and Michigan delegates owuld get a half vote, after flaunting the rules and holding their primaries whenever the %$#@ they wanted).

Apparently the Clinton camp thinks openly defying the rule committee isn't important and is today making threats about taking it to convention floor. From the Post:

"Arguing that the Michigan compromise "is not a good way to start down the path of party unity," Ickes warned that Clinton had authorized him to note that she will "reserve her rights to take it to the credentials committee" later."

Over four -- FOUR!!! -- delegate votes. Who broke the rules in the first place. In a state they had agreed not to contest. And Obama withdrew his name from the ballot.

%$#@ me. And them.

Tom

Universal fire

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:26 am

Name: Tom Morgan
Steve B. and all,
Unfortunately the fire at Universal is still going and according to local news the building still on fire is the video vault. I hope we are not losing classics this morning.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:36 am

Name: Frank Church
Coq au Vin, yum. I might just tag along.

Lobster Bearnaise sauce for the steak. Double yum.

----------------

Diane Bartels, most people are dribs and drabs of both moth shit and angel kisses, better that the angel trump the ka ka.

Yes, that's about as deep as I get.

Father Pfleger is a good man, that's all I know.

-----------

Madeleine Albright, in her latest book, gives props to the insipid Bill Clinton for sending the Haitians back to Haiti, after they fled Haiti in droves, because of continued oppression, after the coup that ousted Aristide.

Better that they go back to Haiti then drown in the sea in thos faulty, leaky makeshift boats. This bitch realizes that the Haitians were later tortured, then killed. Bill Clinton did that--Hillary was trying on pantsuits at the time, butching herself up for the coming coronation.

Albright is one sick, twisted woman. Maybe Hillary is racist.

--------------------

Adam Troy Castro, not saying I don't enjoy the you of the tube. I practically live on the rug there. I just know that Hollywood is the centerfuge of bad ideas. They will take naive talent and turn it into diamond bidets. The funds will usually trickle up.

The bean counters done took over. Old Hollywood is on TCM, not reality.

Dennis C

Jar

Postby Dennis C » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 am

Name: Dennis C
Harlan:
Had dinner at Jar a few weeks ago -- it was amazing! They had a special Kobe Beef entree that was incredible. Also appetizers of soft-shell crab and/or crab deviled eggs. And a caramel pudding-thing for dessert. Yum. Can't wait to go back. Service was impeccable.

Tell Oswalt he was a great sub-host for Steve Jones on Jonesy's Jukebox (Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols hosts a daily show at 12 noon at 103.1FM -- which you can also stream live if you're not in L.A. -- and he frequently has amazing guests like Pete Townshend, Ian Hunter and Gar Oldman --check it out!)

I have a copy of the Zappa CD -- if all else fails, I can burn a copy for you. (I have every Zappa CD, so if anyone's looking for any....)

Shane Shellenbarger

DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH opens at the Film Forum in New York

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
From the New York Daily News website:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... _week.html

DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH Documentary on the life of science-fiction writer Harlan Ellison. With Harlan Ellison, Robin Williams, Neil Gaiman. Wednesday at Film Forum.

Luca

Thanks!

Postby Luca » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:58 am

Name: Luca
Susan:
Thank you very much for letting me place the order!!!
And, obviously, thanks to Rick for his kindness :-)
Also, let me say it's great to see one such Harlan to interact with his fans in this way.

Cheers,
Luca

Shane Shellenbarger

Masters of Science Fiction: DVD to be released on August 5,

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
http://www.amazon.com/Masters-of-Scienc ... 172&sr=1-1
List price:$29.97, pre-order price: $20.99
# Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
# Language: English
# Region: All Regions
# Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
# Number of discs: 1
# Rating:
# Studio: Starz / Anchor Bay
# DVD Release Date: August 5, 2008
# Run Time: 264 minutes
# Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
# ASIN: B001A7GOCA

Tony Rabig

Film from a B.Traven Novel Tuesday on TCM

Postby Tony Rabig » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Name: Tony Rabig
Hi, gang.

Thought maybe a few of you might be interested in this listing from the Turner Classic Movies schedule. If memory serves, this one's based on a novel by B. Traven.

Tuesday, June 3, at 3pm EST:
3:00 PM Rebellion of the Hanged, The (1954)
The miserable conditions at a mahogany camp in the Mexican jungle lead the workers to revolt. Cast: Pedro Armendariz, Carlos Moctezuma, Victor Junco. Dir: Alfredo Crevenna. BW-82 mins

Harlan, happy belated etc.

And bests to all.

--tr

Rowan Berkeley

Hypnosis and color effects in film and tv

Postby Rowan Berkeley » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Name: Rowan Berkeley
I am glad to say that I have managed to understand the mechanism here, thanks to a mulled compound of salvia divinorum which takes the shock off it and allows memory continuity without destroying the effect altogether.

In previous blog posts I mentioned the color scheme of V, and specifically its bold rotating strips of red and black. I also mentioned green and yellow melting fringes : though these may not be found in many examples of film, they can be visualised for added comprehension.

The rotating strips and loss of short term memory create the impression that ones consciousness has shifted to a point in time slightly prior to the static present. By association, this evokes a layer of personality impulses normally pushed back into the pre-conscious, including all moral impulses, both for good and for evil. These are thus made conscious, and a significant layer of repression is defeated.

While aware of this normally repressed layer, the subject is able to see and exploit the corresponding layer in other humans, whether physically present or known to him or her only by writing, imagery, etc. This reveal (to borrow the Hollywood term) can be used in all situations, to exploit the pre-conscious impulses of all these other humans.

In film and TV, lighting effects can be employed which prime these pre-conscious impulse-forming layers in the personalities of the viewers, without (by definition) their being aware of the fact. Thus, in effect, the viewers can be implanted with post-hypnotic suggestions, more or less at whim. These effects will be found at their most seductive in scenes whose plot-lines deal with the super-natural or extra-terrestrial or non-human, the point being to associate the forces evoked with something other than human self-reliance. This pseudo-religiosity is a product of the 1930s Hays Code, now referred to more blandly as the Production Code, which placed a moral straitjacket upon Hollywood fantasy, never since completely removed.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MOSTLY THANKYOUS. MOSTLY.

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:23 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ROB EWEN: Couldn't fall asleep late late wee-hour-3-AM last night. Watched Les Paul. Thank ya, mate. What a grand gift. What a grand hoot reliving that night at the Iridium Club with the Ewens, Marty, Manzo, and Lamont Cranston, et al. Thanks, Rob. Yeah...thanks.

FAISAL QURESHI: Thanks for the heads-up on the Zappa CD. I've ordered it. Thank you, good and smart friend.

ROWAN BERKELEY: This isn't intended as a value-judgment, just as a sort of aspirate of befuddlement: you are one weird guy, sir. I read your posts as one with those who wander sightless in Gaza. Compared to you, our faithful friend Frank Church is as clear as Olympian springet water. You're deep, kid. Deep.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”