Pavilion Digest: May 2008

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: May 2008

Postby admin » Thu May 01, 2008 1:42 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of May 2008.

DTS

Seafood and Red Lobster

Postby DTS » Thu May 01, 2008 1:42 am

Name: DTS
Source: unca20080511.htm
JUST JOHN: Maybe it's the location of the Red Lobster restaurant. In KC, MO, dining at ANY Red Lobster is asking for shitty food. Thought maybe it was due to being in MidAmerica till I tried McCormick & Schmicks on the Plaza. Damn near as good as Legal Seafood in Boston.

It's odd, but I've found very few seafood restaurants in Melbourne. Plenty that serve seafood as well, but few which build their reputation/business around it. Odd, since this is a coastal city.
--DTS

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 am

Name: Ezra
Two notable passings this past week:

Albert Hofmann (1/1/1906 - 4/29/2008)

Swiss chemist who discovered lysergic acid diethylamide and is not to be held responsible for the 45 minute guitar solo and tie dye and Timothy Leary.

Bebe Barron (6/16/1925 - 4/20/2008)

Pioneering electronic music composer along with her husband Louis. Most famous for creating the soundtrack for the movie FORBIDDEN PLANET. Also seems to be responsible for the concept of the audio book having recorded and issued readings by Henry Miller, Tennessee Williams, and Aldous Huxley in the 1940s. They also recorded Anas Nin but we won't hold that against them (see Albert Hofmann/tie dye).

TallyJohnson

Help for my wife

Postby TallyJohnson » Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 am

Name: Tally
My darling wife of more than a decade teaches second grade at an arts-integration school here in Backwater, SC. She is interested in using some of Unca Harlan's more descriptive works to help teach her charges how to better describe the world around them. She would like recommendations from the Webderlanders and Unca Harlan his-own-self if possible AND permission to display them on her overhead.

Thanks in advance-
Tally

PS- Hope you continue to recover, Harlan.

E. Nelson

Stick With Hobbits!

Postby E. Nelson » Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 am

Name: E. Nelson
"I'm not a sci-fi guy but I would make a film based on Ellison"

I already MADE a film "based on Ellison", and people, lemme tell me ya, G. Del Toro would have his work cut out for him if he decides to tempt THAT particular fate.

Run, my distinguished bearded colleague,

RUN!!!

Erik Nelson
Auteur Director (and burned out husk)
Dreams With Sharp Teeth

P.S Now, if GTD would like to tackle that script for "I, ROBOT".....

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu May 01, 2008 5:20 am

Name: Brian Siano
Harlan's said good things about Red Lobster in the past. One of these days, I'll eat at a Red Lobster... but _every one_ of my friends reacts to the idea with groans, retches, and severe disdain.

But, like Just John, I don't bitch about chain restaurants on principle. We live in a huge, very populated society. Chain restaurants make sense: easier distribution, an atmosphere acceptable to most Americans, and a degree of variety. There's nothing in that that _forces_ the food to be good or bad. (Unless you define "good food" as "food prepared entirely outside of a chain restaurant,' which is pretty silly.)

Fact is, most people bitching about chain restaurants are poseurs, people who _affect_ the attitude of a food snob, even though most of us have _rarely_ eaten at a five-star restaurant. It's a bit like cultivating a taste for wine: it's great if you have taste, but acquiring expertise requires drinking a lot of expensive wines, and keeping careful track of what which wine tasted like. Not many of us have that luxury; I like red wine, and I can recognize a good one, but I'm happy with the house Cabernet in most cases. And if someone _does_ have that background in wine and tries to lord it over me, well, then it's not a matter of _taste_ as it is _class and wealth_, and I don't like having those differences rubbed in my face.

As for chain restaurants, well, it'd be _nice_ to brunch at Le Bec Fin. But I can't afford that, and the uptick in quality is subject to diminishing returns. So I'll be happy with Outback or Boston Market, and maybe once a month I'll snack at McDonald's.

Oh, and one really, really good thing about chain restaurants: they don't look at you funny if you dine there _alone_ and bring a _book to read when you're eating_.

W. Powell

Albert Hofmann / Bebe Barron

Postby W. Powell » Thu May 01, 2008 5:21 am

Name: W. Powell
I hadn't heard about Bebe Barron. Quite a loss, the Forbidden Planet soundtrack is a favorite of mine.

As for the late Dr. Hofmann, the documentary "Hofmann's Potion" is highly recommended for a little bit of perspective as regards his legacy. Added a tape of it to my stacks last time Free Speech TV aired it, actually.

Barney Dannelke

Nin

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu May 01, 2008 5:22 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Ezra *** What's your problem with Anas Nin? I just read A SPY IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE two months ago and I thought it was sort of brilliant.

- Barney Dannelke

Adam-Troy

Guillermo del Toro

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
guillermo del Toro on I, ROBOT seems like an inexact fit, but I think he would do a marvelously icky "Croatoan." Just daydreaming.

Site Admin

Wow.

Postby Moderator » Thu May 01, 2008 5:46 am

Name: Steve Barber
Only on the Pavilion could we have simultaneous discussions on Red Lobster, Anais Nin, Guillermo del Toro, the Palestinian situation and defining "yipyop". Gotta love this place.

I'm with Barney on Anais Nin -- her book "Little Birds" is one of my favorites. (I'm not sure what that says about me, but there it is.)

I haven't been to a Red Lobster in years -- decades perhaps -- but it has more to do with my esposa's preference for foods other than fish than with any concern about quality. We HAVE had the fortune to dine at five star restaurants (though often when ol' Dad is picking up the check), and are just as content grabbing a salad at Mimi's or dinner at The Macaroni Grill.

(Ssshhhh. ERIK - Don't let Josh hear you use that Auteur title too often. He's likely to upside you with a frying pan. We know. We've seen 'im do it. Wasn't pretty.)

TALLY - On your next post, or over in the Forums, please expland on your request. Second Graders are unlikely to really get much of, say, "Erotophobia" -- but would get a laugh out of the Jelly Bean sequence in "Repent Harlequin..." But you never know.

Okay. A yipyop is a small, mongreloid siamese-twin dog with a cleft palate.

shagin

Postby shagin » Thu May 01, 2008 6:14 am

Name: shagin
ATC wrote: "guillermo del Toro on I, ROBOT seems like an inexact fit, but I think he would do a marvelously icky "Croatoan." Just daydreaming."

Oooooo.....yeah!

A line up of directors for Ellison stories...hmmmmm...

Hubby considers me a heretic. I've lived on both coasts, Hawaii, and the Great Lakes, and I hate seafood. In his eyes, that's almost as heinous a crime as not liking prime rib. In my eyes, prime rib is a french dip sliced too thick and in need of a bun.

S.

David Loftus

Nin - evites

Postby David Loftus » Thu May 01, 2008 7:12 am

Name: David Loftus
Well, blow me down. Anais Nin is one topic I might never have expected to turn up here. For me, Nin is a like an old girlfriend -- one from WAY back -- about whom I have highly mixed feelings. She got all tangled up in the romantic mythology of my mind with my first love and Sarah, the protagonist of _The French Lieutenant's Woman_. I used to wear an Anais Nin t-shirt in high school and college; never saw one on another person. I think I still have my LPs of her readings.

This review of _Henry and June_ that I posted on Amazon on May 5, 2000 (Jesus, six years ago this week!) sort of sums up my history with her:

I read a lot of Anais Nin's fiction when I was in high school, because my girlfriend did. I didn't get it. I tried to read her famous diary, but couldn't finish even the first volume. There was an intelligent and interesting woman there, but I didn't feel I was really getting to her. The diary entries I read were too cool, too discursive for my taste.

Then _Henry and June_ came out in 1986. It covered the exact same period (Paris, 1931) as "Volume I" of Nin's diaries -- first published, but in highly edited form one could now see, in 1969. Here she begins to cheat on her husband Hugo with the young Henry Miller, meets and flirts with his flighty wife June, and opens to life and eventually other men in an explosive fashion. HERE was the flesh-and-blood woman I had sensed behind the original published diaries. She panted, she sweated, she lied, she used filthy language as well as high poetry, and she adored love and sex. I thought she was a wonder. Nin and Miller collide like titans; sparks fly when they talk and when they make love.

Unfortunately, I have read several of the subsequent, increasingly-appalling unexpurgated diaries, as well as the biographies by Noel Riley Fitch and Deirdre Bair. The bloom is definitely off the rose. Ms. Nin turns out to have been a consummate deceiver (though of herself as much as anyone else), an artist manque who thought herself -- wished herself -- far more talented than she turned out to be. She works better in fantasy than reality; I still might have liked to meet her in her prime, but it would have been dicey to get involved with her.

It is in this book that she shows to her best as a character (never mind whether it's all true or another kind of fiction). Here one sees a woman's passion in all its riotous fire and self-contradiction. Just read this one and leave all the rest (save, perhaps for the curious erotica and a decent collection of essays entitled "In Favor of the Sensitive Man"), unless you have a penchant for the odd and pretentious.

Several years back, while searching the fiction aisles of Powell's Books, I overheard a young couple behind me marveling over the beauty of Nin in photos from her 40s or 50s, and I called over my shoulder: "Two words: cosmetic surgery." She got her first nose job in her early 30s.

Perhaps her greatest fiction was her life.

And if anyone's unsure, her name is "Anna-EEZE," not "Uh-NIGH-us."

Brian Siano, in defense of chain restaurants, wrote:

:: Oh, and one really, really good thing about chain
:: restaurants: they don't look at you funny if you dine
:: there _alone_ and bring a _book to read when you're
:: eating_.

Good point! I stopped going into McDonald's years ago for political reasons, and since I went off land-based meats and sodas a year ago I have little reason to step into any of the other fast-food places (I miss Wendy's; I ate many lunches in the one beneath the elevated Green Line near what once was the Boston Garden), but I remember when I used to do that ... alone, with a book, I mean. And I would not hesitate to patronize local sit-down chains like Elmer's (old-fashioned pancake-and-steak houses) or Newport Bay (seafood). It's just that they've pretty much moved out to the suburbs, where -- having gone carless -- I rarely have occasion, let alone ability, to travel.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Thu May 01, 2008 8:14 am

Name: Davey C.
Might a yipyop play a mugwort?

Kell Brown

YipYop

Postby Kell Brown » Thu May 01, 2008 11:04 am

Name: Kell Brown
A flat-headed thug, a dink (literally as well I think), or general loser.

or

A mope. A baggy pant wearing slacker with nothing to do but make waste.

Am I close?

john zeock

query

Postby john zeock » Thu May 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Name: John Zeock
Brian- have you ever eaten at Rangoon, over on 9th ? The ginger salad alone will make you plotz...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”