Pavilion Digest: January 2008

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: January 2008

Postby admin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of January 2008.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 am

Name: Rob
Source: unca20080219.htm
MAY EVERYONE HERE EXPERIENCE A PROSPEROUS 1908!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam-Troy

Various New Year's Thingies

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:11 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
1) Again, Happy New Year, all!

2) In case that question about the "Flowers In the Attic lady" was asked out of a genuine desire to know, and not sarcasm, the answer is that the author of those books has not been the woman who wrote under the name V.C. Andrews for some time; it is now V.C. Andrews (c), a copyrighted entity represented by a still-ambulatory author of some talent who has subsumed much of his own career churning out books under her imprint instead of works he could hitch to his own star. I would say the name here, as it's an open secret, but I do not currently recall it. Folks who ask the same question about other zombie-shambling "dead but still producing" writers like Ernest Hemingway and J.R.R. Tolkien should be apprised that the answer is somewhat more complex in those cases; new books published under those names under fragments left behind that have been edited and rewritten and in some cases cobbled up out of whole cloth by the folks currently controlling those estates. The legitimacy of the work published under such circumstances varies widely; in the case of V.C. Andrews, most of the novels published under her name since her death were not even glints in that strange woman's eye; in the case of, let's say, Tolkien's awfully gamey THE CHILDREN OF HURIN, it was a work he spent more than fifty years trying to complete, that he cared about more than he cared about THE LORD OF THE RINGS, and that existed as several manuscripts of varying quality, which could be stitched together in Frankensteinian form, with transitions written by current hands; a not-very-good book of academic interest, if that, but much more a Tolkien work than any of the V.C. Andrews (c) books have been works of hers.

3) Dearest to my heart, here's a surprise short story available on-line with the first day of the New Year: the comic election-year nightmare "Night Of the Living POTUS," by your humble self, available RIGHT NOW at the latest issue of the on-line zine HELIX SCIENCE FICTION.

The following URL will take you to the current issue's table of contents, and from there to the narrative under discussion:

http://helixsf.com/

Once you've read this fine work of literature (and I urge you to do so right now; it ain't all that long, but it's what our genial host used to call a toad-strangler), as well as the others posted by this magazine still too deeply-held a secret (so much good stuff in this issue and past installments that you'll kvell, simply kvell), feel free to support the enterprise by tossing a few bucks into the HELIX SF coffers, using Pay Pal. But you don't need to in advance. Go there right now. Then come back and say what you thought. Simon Says Flap Your Arms.

-- A-TC

Jes

Happy New Year

Postby Jes » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:27 am

Name: Jes Bickham
Hey all
Been a while since I dropped by, and just wanted to wish everybody a great 2008, and hope you all had the very happiest of holidays. (Steve Barber, shaking off the 'Boxing Day binge' has moved on to 'weathering the catastrophic New Year hangover' - but oh! What a night.)
Thanks to all for the kind words on the Harlan interview too, although credit must go to the man himself rather than your humble scribe. I'm back in work tomorrow and will endeavour to see what the situation is concerning back issues.
And now I retire to the couch with a medicinal cup of tea.
Cheers!
Jes

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:08 am

Name: FinderDoug
The New Year came in as a mixed grill. Drove a stake into 2007 with a party at the Italian Embassy in DC - a good time, in the company of steadfast cousin / roommate Melanie, at which people didn't get inordinately sloppy-stupid (except for that one poor slip of a girl who made her own dance floor in the coat check line to the near-cliche DJ spinning of "Brick House") and at which they ran out of Tiramisu well ahead of the demand of 800+ attendees. 2007, in turn, drove a stake in me with word that my aunt (said cousin's mom, who is my father's twin sister) has contracted hepatitis as sucker-punch #716 in her ongoing uphill battle against a rare form of gall bladder cancer. Prognosis still unknown.

And so it goes - return the tuxedo, pick up the makings of my Szechwan chicken meatloaf, finish computer backups, see if my grades have been posted, fill out the new Far Side desk calendar for the coming year because I'm absolute dink at remembering birthdays and always get mom and sister #3 switched, toss on the sparkling new DVD of the "Hearts of Darkness" documentary for my all-time favorite out-take (Brando choking on a bug), and revel in the foresight of having taken tomorrow as one more vacation day. Or, as we call it in the old country, Tuesday.

Happy New Year one and all. I hope it brings marvel and wonder enough to outweigh the sketchy, the asinine and the plain old shitty.

David Loftus

ringin' in the new

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:07 am

Name: David Loftus
Happy New Year, gang!

I had a pretty good 2007, so I finished the year feeling pretty good -- quietly, with jarlsberg on Triscuit, several rum and cokes, watching a taped live show of popular local band Pink Martini on the public broadcasting station.

In 2007 I was in three plays, dozens of live public readings, and recorded Holmes, Jack London, O. Henry, and Poe stories for a Web site for children. I reviewed six books for the local daily paper, and started work on my next book. I also made it down to LA for the world premiere of "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" and several terrific days in the company of Ellison, Olson, and various Webderlanders.

At this point I'm waiting on the results of another audition (this one's unlikely, I think; I'm not physically right for the role), looking forward to the annual Willamette Radio Workshop performance of an hour-long adaptation of "The Hobbit" (live, old-time-radio style with microphones, extensive sound effects, and incidental music; I usually voice Gandalf) on Jan. 19, and continuing to plow through histories and memoirs of the Alaska gold rush for my book. Life is good.

I've been quiet on the Pav recently because, despite possessing considerable regrets about various sins of omission and commission, the recent discussions here have led me to feel I've lived a comparatively charmed life.

I was almost never bullied growing up -- at least not physically; despite being an ethnic minority of sorts and a brainy snot, I managed to talk my way out of most situations or avoid threatening situations altogether, I guess.

I served on a jury once in Boston, circa 1986, in that grey building you glimpse in the opening sequences of "Ally McBeal" and "The Practice," and it was a wholly positive experience. (It was a minor civil, physical injury case against a supermarket chain; as a reporter in southern Oregon a few years later, I covered more interesting cases, from homicide and grand theft to kidnapping -- a family that "rescued" one of their members from the clutches of a religious cult).

Though I've lived in Portland, Multnomah County for the past 17 years, I've only been called for jury duty here once, and my employer got me out of it for some stupid reason -- I would rather have served again.

JES BICKHAM:

I picked up my copy of Death Ray #7 at the local Borders a couple days ago. Nice work, though you and I know that, apart from the intimidation jitters beforehand, interviewing Ellison has got to be one of the easiest assignments in the world. In my opinion, what deserves special commendation among your piece(s) are the "8 of the Best" summations on pages 74-75: no doubt many folks who pick up Death Ray are going to be pretty young and familiar with Ellison by reputation only, if that, and this attempt to urge them further into the man's work is extremely well done. Let's hope it has its intended effect. I fully expect to see sales of these and other Ellison books to spike in the coming months.

Again, Happy New Year everyone, and especially for those of you who did not have such a great 2007.

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:24 am

Name: shagin
ATC -- your piece in HELIX was a wonderful tip of the hat to 2008. Well done!

FinderDoug -- warm fuzzies and hopes for the best for your aunt. We've stood by friends who have toughed out too many medical sucker punches of late; it's not easy. Be safe, and may 2008 bring better days.

David L. -- Pink Martini! Gotta luv'em!

shagin

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:24 pm

Name: diane bartels
dear adam troy, I was serious not sarcastic. Thank you for answering my question. I find it kind of awful that anyone can do that with a writer's works after she or he is passed. It's bogus, I think. Especially in the case of V.C. Andrews. I tried reading one of the cobbled together books of later years and it was so different from the early ones in style and ambience that is was unreadable. And I find the Hemingway thing silly. The poor man's been gone 40 years. I imagine anything he actually wrote has been long pubished. On the other hand, I could understand if an author dies in the middle of a series, leaving his notes and chapters, as Robert Jordan did recently, I truly hope someone finishes the Dragon Reborn series. As for your story, I will seriously try to get my hands on it after the holidays and my BD on Friday are over. Thanks for answering and again Happy New Year. Oh, P.S. Congratulations to Paul on the upcoming nuptials, and condolences to Doc and best wishes to all with sick family and relatives. Chi Di

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Name: diane bartels
Apologies to all for the second post. I, as usual, did things backwards and upside down. I couldn't look up your story right this minute, adam, because I spent the night at my sister's and she was scrapping and warming up the car for me. I'm somewhat physically disabled. She came in and said that the car was frozen solid and I could finish scraping it or wait 15 minutes till it defrosted. The weather here is delightful. Being lazy, I waited and went to Robert Jordan's Website to see if they found anyone to finish the Dragon series. His widow Harriet says they have and then she quoted an e.e. cummings poem, I carry you in my heart. It is one of the most beautiful things I ever read, and I thought it was apt in view of all the recent losses and illnesses here in the site. I've never told you guys this before, but in the last six years, I lost my mom, my aunt and godmother, an uncle by marriage, my next oldest brother, and in 2006 my dad. Plus I few friends, and 3 dogs and 3 cats. Talk about a crappy decade. But I truly carry them all in my heart, and my living friends. And to a greater and greater extent, each time I read or post, all of you good people. Sorry, Rick, for the second post, but I really did want to share the poem; it's on Robert Jordan's website. I will be hiding at home from the snow and ice for a couple days and I would have forgotten by the time I was back at my sister's again. I'm really old and getting more so. I will check out your story, adam, when sis has more time to show me how to trace the link. I can jam up a computer just by looking at it on my own.

Adam-Troy

Ultra-Fast Clarification

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Diane, I should hasten to specify that the "sarcasm" I hypothesized in that comment was no accusation that you were being sarcastic to others on this board, but rather toward the practice; i.e. "Gee, I can't believe Ernest Hemingway is still producing!" A better phrase would have been "rhetorical question." In any event, since it wasn't, glad I could help. --ATC

Rpger Gjovig

Postby Rpger Gjovig » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Name: Rpger Gjovig
Hi Colleen. If there is still a copy available, that would be awesome if you could get one for me. Thank you.

Colleen Doran

Ghost Writer

Postby Colleen Doran » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Name: Colleen Doran
FYI, the identity of V.C. Andrews' ghost writer is Andrew Neiderman.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
ATC:

Read Night of the Living POTUS. Laughed all through it. Glad to know POTUS is not a spanish cussword.

Chuck

paul

Helix

Postby paul » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Name: Paul
ATC is right, and i will add that this is a fantastic online magazine. A new issue is a nice New Year's present. Bud Webster was here talking about it, maybe two years ago? There are some brilliant stories and it's a splendid oasis in the middle of a crowded workday. Not that i'd....um...at work I always... hey, HELIX is a great magazine! I remember Adam's first story there, about the search for Jews. Really. Galaxy-wide. Damn good reading.

Steve B., I always meant to ask: about that photo that insinuates a relationship between Rick and the long arm of the law- well, what's the story? I'm sure it's no big deal, but I thought i read a few lines here and there after the get-together that mentioned a disturbance in the force. Just trying to keep the gossip lines clear. Enquiring minds want to know.

Best of the next, kids. Keep your heart safe,
P.

lonegungirl

Happy New Year!

Postby lonegungirl » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Name: lonegungirl
Good wishes for the best of all years yet for everyone!

(Wow, I must not have posted for awhile--I didn't even notice there was a security question until I was Bahleted.)

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”