Pavilion Digest: December 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: December 2007

Postby admin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 pm

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of December 2007.

shagin

Books

Postby shagin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Name: shagin
Source: unca20071217.htm
Mr. Ellison,

I would certainly be interested in a listing of books that you would like to have taken off your hands. While I cannot recommend prices, or even a model of the bones to flesh out such a beast, should I be interested in anything you chose to offer I will pay the requested price.

As you've admitted to being a fan of Phil Folgio's work, anything of his would be a splendid find.

shagin

Michael Mayhew

RE: The Idea

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:17 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
Harlan: I might be interested in some of the books you mentioned. The phrase "picture books" made my ears prick. I'm a sucker for pretty picture books.

Regarding pricing, you could check and see what the same book is going for over at Amazon Marketplace (the part of Amazon.com where regular folks can sell books for whatever the market will bear).

I realize that you use the internet only very minimally, but if someone in your posse (maybe Susan??) is a little more comfortable with that sort of thing, both Amazon Marketplace and Alibris.com (an all used book online store) might be useful venues for you to move your unwanted books, regardless of whether the folks here would like to buy them.

However you approach it, getting the books out of your space and into the hands of those who will enjoy them -- and making some coin in the process -- seems like a good idea out here at the Tujunga Branch Office.

MM

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:51 am

Name: Charlie
Harlan, why not? However, as an alternative, libraries at prisons are usually in need. Maybe you could even get a charitable deduction on your taxes-though I'm no CPA.

Jazzman99

Books

Postby Jazzman99 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:37 am

Name: Joe Walker
I rarely leave the house without coming back with a book of some kind. It's a compulsion with me. Library sales, used book shops, garage sales, the local Borders and Barnes and Noble (which sadly ran the actual local shops out of business years ago)--there's always a reason to stop somewhere and pick something up. All of which is by way of saying, if someone asks me if I might be interested in buying some books, my answer is YES.

Hope that helps!

Dave Clarke

Postby Dave Clarke » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:42 am

Name: Dave Clarke
First, as you said, I think you should put up a list of the books you want to sell right here in the Pavillion. We can check the high/low prices, adjust our interest accordingly, etc. Then those of us who are interested in buying one or all can send our offer(s) to you, and you can choose from there. Payment can be sent via Paypal, if you're registered there, or to your home via regular mail. This seems like the most expeditious way to shorten your stack, other than going to a thrift and dumping them.

When the dust clears, I'd go with Mayhew's suggestion and list with one of the online retailers. I'd recommend going with Amazon first, as their set up is easy, you can compare and adjust your prices accordingly, and they won't charge you anything until the book sells.

Bob Homeyer

What Are You Reading These Days?

Postby Bob Homeyer » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:21 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
I'm in the middle of "69 AD: The Year of Four Emperors" by Gwyn Morgan.

How about you?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 am

Name: Frank Church
"and the one or two inevitable brain-dead interlineations meant to send me screaming."

No, Harlan, I will refrain from that--at least for a few days.

Wuv u Hawlin.

-----------

Site Admin

Ellison's Book Attic

Postby Moderator » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:22 am

Name: Steve Barber
HARLAN - Bypass Amazon and simply have Rick post a list of the titles/authors with a requested price avec shipping. Or maybe in the next RABBIT HOLE?

Either way, it's better than tossing (never recommended when it comes to books). And maybe titles that don't sel... er, get redistributed could be donated to something like Penny Lane or a local shelter. (It IS the holiday season, after all...)

My two cents.

Mark Spieller

Welles Writings and Readings

Postby Mark Spieller » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:26 am

Name: Mark Spieller
Pauline Kael and Charles Highman (the last writer who put in print his belief that Errol Flynn was a Nazi Spy!) were the one's who damaged Welles reputatuion as both a creator and a writer. Although their books (still in print) have been disputed the damage done goes on.

The Wellesnet website is an excellent place to start researches on the authorship of Citizen Kane, and Welles' collaborative techniques with other writers. If you require a book of two on Welles for your bookshelf let me recommend "Citizen Kane: A casebook" edited by James Naremore and "The Magic World of Orson Welles" by the same author. I will be happy to recommend other titles...including Jonathan Roseblum recent "Discovering Orson Welles". In fact my Welles Collection fights for space with my Ellison Collection but these seem to be at peace right now.

As for current readings:

The House of Vestals ny Steven Saylor which is a collection of "Gordianus The Finder" mysteries set in ancient Rome.

Alone with the Horrors by Ramsey Campbell an excellent collection of his horror short stories.

The Movement and the Sixties by Terry Anderson A well thought out look at an era that offers a nearly "Roshomone" opportunity to anyone who takes on the task to trying to explain that time and place.

Tender Comrades by Patrick McGilligan and Paul Buhle. Profiles and interviews with members of the Hollywood Ten and close relations. An excellent oral history for those who need a place to start on a time as Ray Bradbury said was when "The gargoyles took over the catherdral."

These books are all worth you seeking out for a read if any of them catch your fancy. Now, to find a way in which Harlan can remove his tower of books with both profit and safety......that could be a three pipe problem.

Tony Rabig

Books to libraries

Postby Tony Rabig » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:56 am

Name: Tony Rabig
As Charlie said, the prison libraries are one option, but you might also consider school or college libraries in your area, if you think the books might be useful in those places. I've donated quite a few books to libraries here and back in the Chicago suburbs when I lived there. When I brought in a box, I usually asked them to pass any books they couldn't use back to me so that I could donate them elsewhere, and they were almost always pretty good about doing so. These days, with libraries making their catalogs available on the web, you can usually find out whether they already own the books you're thinking of donating and save the trouble of schlepping the stuff to places that don't need it.

Bests,

--tr

misti

recent introductions...

Postby misti » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:43 am

Name: misti
i write this as an acknowledgment of recent introduction, myself to mr. ellison. i recently came across video footage of your interview regarding not only the disinclination of corporate mainstream to pay writers, (read: musicians, artists, anyone not living in the cubicle wasteland and who utilizes their inherent creativity to escape it), but also touching on the proliferation of the amateur as one reason for said lowering of the financial bar. and i wanted to say bravo, sir. thank you for not only saying it but for being in a position for your words to reach further than the rest of us.

while i have at points been a rather avid science fiction devourer and thus familiar with your name, i will not prevaricate by suggesting that i have read your works in the past. i will say that, after seeing this video clip and doing the web-searches that led me to this page and others, i am most certainly a new fan and will seek them out.

thank you for being thoughtful, mr. ellison, for having a loud voice and allowing your outrage to overflow to where it will hopefully do the most good. and for bludgeoning closed minds open a wee bit, as the case may require. (*grin*)

all the best to you and yours! misti

ps: i'm not sure if you allow urls to be posted in this forum, but this is my recent little want-ad spoof regarding venue managers who prefer not to pay their musicians and instead offer the Opportunity to Play for Free!!! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/muc/494693380.html) -please delete if it irritates you or is in violation of a rule that i missed.

post post-script: while i thought that alan's response to keith's playa del carmen travelogue was about as hilarious as it could get, i think he might just underestimate the unmitigated thrill involved in wondering if his genitalia will fall off or merely abscess beyond recognition in the diseases-one-gets-from-mexican-prostitutes lottery! *snort*

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:45 am

Name: Roger Gjovig
I would love to see the list of books you have available. My current pile waiting of books to read is down to three and could use an addition if something strikes my interest.
Terrible weather here in Iowa today. I was going to work four hours overtime today and called in before I left to see if they were even open. They said not to even attempt to come in it is so icy out.

Phil Nichols

Welles...and Bradbury

Postby Phil Nichols » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 am

Name: Phil Nichols
As there are clearly Welles fans, and not a few Californians, on here, I thought this might be a good place to flag up a search which is currently underway on behalf of Ray Bradbury. Namely, the search for a video recording of Bradbury and Welles from an LA TV station in 1983/4. Here's the plea from my colleagues at the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies. If you can help, tell 'em Phil sent you!

---------
The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies at Indiana University would like help tracking down a
video tape for one of Ray Bradbury's most illusive television appearances. On New Year's
Eve 1984 (presumably December 31, 1983), Ray Bradbury taped a television show in Los Angeles
(possibly CBS) with Orson Welles reading passages from Something Wicked This Way Comes
(Welles had read for the film narration about a year earlier). RB provided commentary,
and also read a message about the New Year and his belief that George Orwell's 1984 would
never arrive. It was a message of hope and a great hour of television, but RB discovered
that the show was not taped by the network studio. Neither Donn Albright nor Jon Eller
have been able to locate any private recordings of this show, but Mr. Bradbury has asked
them to find a recording if at all possible. If any of the discussion group participants
have a home-made recording of the 1984 Bradbury-Welles New Years show, or perhaps know of
someone who does have a recording, please let us know at the Bradbury Center so that a
copy of this show can be archived. Thanks very much.

You can reach us at akbarret@iupui.edu, jeller@iupui.edu, or wtouponc@iupui.edu.

Thank You!
Amanda Barrett,
Jon Eller,
William F. Touponce
--------

Tony

Book sale/giveaway

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:10 am

Name: Tony
Dear HE,

I'd love to see a list of the books you need to clear out, but I have to agree that donating them might be the easiest way (no shipping, no dealing with who wants what, no fuss) to get rid of them.

Thanks,
Tony Adams

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”