Pavilion Digest: November 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: November 2007

Postby admin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:29 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of November 2007.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:29 am

Name: Jan
Source: unca20071217.htm
HARLAN: In case you didn't see it, there was a message from John Coulthart amid the birthday wishes on October 30 2007 14:27:40.

Ray Carlson

Could Use a Yuk.

Postby Ray Carlson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:34 am

Name: Ray Carlson
Unca Harlan,

Would it be asking too much for you to please tell the Neil Gaiman, G.W. Bush joke? Ah...make that pretty please, with red leicester on top.

Barney Dannelke

yesterday's crazy - now with photos - and more crazy

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:07 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... p=1&ping=1

***Harlan*** Glad to hear your work week was looking up and paying dividends. Feel better.

- Barney

ps. belated Happy Birthday to Rick. Like Halloween by itself isn't scary enough.

admin
Site Admin

Spammers

Postby admin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:31 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
Okay, well, we have a new breed of board spammer that is fudging all the stuff I used to check for spammers. So I have had to add a password to the posting page. Hopefully this will address the issue and I will not have to keep deleting 3-4 spam posts several times a day....

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 am

Name: Ezra
Thanks for the links Barney. Here's one for you.

http://overcompensating.com/posts/20071030.html

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:04 am

Name: Josh Olson
Harlan,

Anyone can talk the Josh, but can you walk the Josh?

Cupcakes await, pal.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 am

Name: Duane
Which of these three phrases are most likely to be spoken at the Ellison household on the last day of October, right around sunset?

a) "Honey, the kids are coming. I'll pass out the candy this year,"

b) "Let's go enjoy an evening out while the little goblins and ghouls run amok around the neighborhood. We'll come back, say, ten-nish," or

c) "Time to dust off the ol' water cannon!"

Bob Ingersoll

Sunday 11/4 -- Upcoming BURKE'S LAW Episode Written by Harla

Postby Bob Ingersoll » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:30 am

Name: Bob Ingersoll
Hi.

Okay, there's this small cable TV channel called The AmericanLife Network (hereinafter ALN). It used to be called The Nostalgia Channel and then GoodLife TV Network. It bills itself as the network for Baby Boomers. It carries re-runs of old 50s 60s, 70s, and 80s TV shows and other programming allegedly aimed at people my age (I hit the "double nickel" in October.)

Anyway, ALN's not on a lot of cable and sattelite providers. Time Warner carries it in its digital package only, so I'm fortunate enough to receive it. Neither DirecTV nor Dish Network carry it. Cox and Comcast doen't carry it. (It's possible that most providers don't think its nitche audience will sustain it to the point of profitability for the provider. It's possible they don't want to carry it because ALN is owned by Reverend Moon's Unification Church. I don't know, I just know it's not available on a lot of carriers.)

As I said, fortunately for me, it's on Time-Warner, so I can watch it.

Back in September, it changed it's line-up. In October, it started carrying re-runs of BURKE'S LAW. Long-time denizens of this board may remember that Harlan wrote four episodes in this show's first season: "Who Killed Alex Drebbs?", "Who Killed Purity Mather?", "Who Killed Andy Zygmunt?", "and "Who Killed 1/2 of Glory Lee?"

ALN has an annoying tendency of not showing all of the episodes of a show it buys. When it was showing 77 SUNSET STRIP, it showed up to 1/3 way through the 3rd season and then started over from the beginning; made it up to 1/2 way through the 3rd season and started over again. (It was almost as if ALN didn't have enough money to air all the episodes or something.)

With BURKE'S LAW, they're skipping episodes. At first they were only showing the odd-numbered episodes. Now it's showing even-numbered and odd-numbered episodes, but still skipping some episodes, without rhyme or reason. (The shows are still going up ard based on air-date, but some episodes are being skipped.)

As a result of their skipping episodes, ALN has already skipped over "Who Killed Alex Drebbs?"

BUT their on-line schedule which you can find at --

http://www.americanlifetv.com

--indicated that two of Harlan's episodes have now been scheduled.

The show runs on Sundays at 6:00 p.m. EST. (I don't know whether it has a west coast feed or if you on the west coast have to catch it at 3:00 your time, you'll have to check that on your own). It also re-runs on the following Saturday at 8:00 p.m.

"Who Killed Purity Mather?" is scheduled for this coming Sunday, that is November 4th at 6:00 p.m. EST. It's also set for Saturday November 10th at 8:00 p.m. EST.

"Who Killed Andy Zygmunt?" is scheduled for Sunday December 30 at 6:00 p.m. EST. (ALN only puts up two months of scheduling at a time, so I can only check through December and can't check to see whether "Andy Zygmunt" will re-run on Saturday January 5th yet.)

Anyway, I thought you'd want to know about these two up-coming Harlan-penned episodes on ALN.

Bob Ingersoll

P.S. Harlan, do you need either of these two shows for your files? One of my TiVos also burns DVDs, so I could send you copies of the episodes (with commercials, as I can't cut them out) if you want them. Just let me know.

P.P.S. I can't really provide the same service for the rest of the board. Sending Harlan one copy is probably already copyright infringement. Sending out dozens and dozens of them is definitely infringement. Sorry.

Susan,

The book found it's way back to me this week. Thanks.

Thanks even more for the kind words about my story.

For those of you who wonder what story Thomas F. Zahler and I have a short story in the trade paperback original STAR TREK anthology -- STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION: THE SKY'S THE LIMIT -- which is currently on-sale in finer bookstores. Our story is near the back and called " 'Til Death." Susan read it and liked it.

Bob

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:42 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Should have mentioned this on the day just past: I only LOVE Halloween. Can't much stand Xmas--don't mind Christmas even a little bit--but Christmas got lost somewhere way back when down-the-line--but I abominate Xmas, as my columns in times past have attested, please note the difference between these dissimilar two "holidays" that fall at the identical time. Thanksgiving is okay, but doesn't get me particularly giddy, save for Len and Christine's annual feast, at which Susan and I fress like a couple of chazzers (pronounced as the "ch" is sounded in Channukah). Presidents' Day is a fraud--let Washington hve HIS day, let Lincoln have HIS day--do not lump them for convenience. Columbus Day, well, not so much. Valentine's Day and all the rest o those lachrymose shill outings for teleflora and Hallmark, well, in yr hat, jack! I'll celebrate Twain's Birthday, same for Kafka and Poe, but all those sonorous mountebank patriotic repertory displays throughout the year leave me sizzling with anger in a country where they can elect a George W. Cheney not once, but twice.

But Hallowe'en! Wheeeeeee!

Love me some dem Halloweenie!

And so...

With sorrow

I report that, for the fifth year in a row, in this neighborhood...

Not one kid out on the street.

Nobody came to our door. The candy was overflowing in the gorgeous Kosta Boda sculpture bowl, all the lights were on, I was wearing my hippo nose this year, as well as my AMAZING STORIES T-shirt, there could not have been a more welcoming spot for tots in sheets and shifts, but...

Silence in our environs. No kids. Not one.

This has produced in me a discernible down, a certain sadnoid sense. I have seen one of my last Hallowe'ens come and go, with no kids to spar with, no urchins to slather with goodies, no BOOs to fusillade. For the first time in more than forty years in this house I did not palm onto the knob of my elegant front door, the spiffy hard-plastic devil's head that begs for children to touch it. Nor did I put out the swell cackling doormat from THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL that makes ghastly noises when stepped-upon. No little shivering, threnody-evoking ghostlet that hangs from the wind-chime.

In short, no kids my age, no little 7yearold playmates. Silence on my street.

And that

is,

well,

just scary

just horrible.

Down in the dumps, as well as actually sniffly ill, yr. morose pal, Harlan

Sidney Doubleposter

Postby Sidney Doubleposter » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am

Name: Sidney Doubleposter
From NED NOSEPICKER'S GUIDE TO AMERICAN SLANG, JESTS, JAPES AND MALAPROPISMS, 1954, Dombey and Sons, Ltd.:

"To 'Josh the Walk' is a challenge made on the streets of the great cities of the East Coast, viz. Bozton, New York, Baltimore. As a means of social ranking, ridicule, or good-natured joking or "joshing," poking gentle fun of a person's manner of walking requires a combination of verbal skill, observational wit and public performance. "Screwy as an Eye-tie tracking a pizza" or "Tiltin' at windmills again, eh, Don Quixote?" can be heard as challenges to a duel of remarks and insults over one's gait and, thereupon will follow spirited exchanges of catcalls and comparisons to drunken sailors, dizzy mantises and unlikely combinations of Dervishes and St. Elmo's Fire.

"A variant of 'Joshin' the Walk' is 'Joshin' the Talk,' whereupon accents, inflections, sentence syntax and even the spelling of words implied in one's spoken speech are subject for this social ranking exercise. Thus the risk in 'Joshin' the Walk' is combined with the danger of then being joshed by one's own talk. It is suspected that early contests of this cross-level joshing were a vital catalyst of the Draft Riots of the 1860s, the Haymarket Riots and, according to current FBI sources, the misbehavior of Negroes in the Southern states (c.f. "Uppitiness and the Fifth Column," J. Edgar Hoover, READER'S DIGEST May 1953).

As of this writing, there are no reported instances of "joshin' the josh" outside of Jelly Roll Morton records."

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MINOR CORRECTION FOR BOB INGERSOLL

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:50 am

It's Alex Debbs, not "Drebbs."

It was a Hugh Hefner roman a clef, and the magazine Alex Debbs published was DEBONAIR. Debonair=Debbs...get it? Hyuck hyuck.

Yr. long-time and always Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:53 am

Sidney Doubleposter:

Fuckin' brilliant!

-he

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 am

RAY CARLSON:

It would be my pleasure to relate on you the joke Gaiman told me but, as Neil pointed out during his phone call, "I don't have the ability with accents that you do, Harlan, so you'll tell it better." And he's right about that, but the downside is:

You have to hear it, with the timing in place, for it to be funny.

And that won't work--as so MANY great jokes just won't play--when translated into lines on a page, or in this case, a screen.

However, if you can con someone into giving you my phone number, and you ask sweetly, I will relate it telephonically.

Sorry, kiddo, best I can do.

Yr. Pal in hommage to vaudeville, Frck'n'Frack Ellison

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO JOHN COULTHART

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 am

My apologies for not getting back to you instantest--particularly after inviting you to get in touch--particularly after Jan popping in to jog me--and I have no excuse of consequence. An explanation, well, yes; but the one is not always the other.

I've been busy.

Nothing more sinister or disrespectful than that. I've been busy. So a few niceties, such as clasping the Coulthart claw, had to be put on hold. (Until that Prussian provocateur made me look disingenuous and dilatory.)

The former notwithstanding, I am indeed pleased as punch to be put in touch with you. Your book, your art, your smarts, well-- they commend you. Do you ever get to LA? Would batten on an opportunity to buy you a cup of joe, and spend some time chatting.

Harlan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”