Pavilion Digest: October 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: October 2007

Postby admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:45 pm

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of October 2007.

Jan

re: Cleveland report / life lessons

Postby Jan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:45 pm

Name: Jan
Source: unca20071007.htm
That's a real loss. Thanks for trying. Looking forward to the audience reports.

"Write the entry on whatever word processor exists on the computer"

Or write them in small chapters.

My own hard-earned lesson from the past weeks is to double check dates and times on tickets and before making reservations.

Elijah Newton

Postby Elijah Newton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:43 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Harlan : regarding your post of September 30, 19:34:34. um. Easy there dude/sir. That's our hero and gracious host you're badmouthing, please be nice to him. Surely whatever ill he's done has already been outweighed by his many other virtues.

Plus, and I don't mean to give advice when none's been asked for, but attacking Mr. Ellison's intellect is really not such a bright idea. He's sharp as a tack and occassionally prickly to boot. Stay on his good side and he is, if a gentile can be forgiven the use of the expression, a mensch of the highest caliber.

Brian Phillips

Another western you should watch...

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 am

Name: Brian Phillips
"The Gunfighter" with Gregory Peck and Millard Mitchell. Mitchell is best known for being in "Singin' in the Rain", but here he is a sheriff with great world-weary patter.

This doesn't have much shooting, it's more of a character study. John Ford's "Stagecoach" is a great one, but I appreciated it more when I viewed it in context. It established certain elements that are present in many westerns that followed. Orson Welles said that he watched it several times.

And since this is a board frequented by writers, "Stagecoach" was written by Ernest Haycox and Dudley Nichols, with assistance from Ben Hecht. "The Gunfighter" was written by Andre de Toth, William Bowers, William Sellers and also Nunnally Johnson.

Adam-Troy

Stuff

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
The only westerns I've read have been THe OX-BOW INCIDENT by Walter van Tilburg Clark, many by McMurtry, a couple by Richard Matheson, and SHANE. 'Tis not a genre I have followed, in print, in depth. Sorry for crossing media.

Harlan: the swallowing of long unsaved prose-pieces has occurred to me a few times, on the internet, but it has also happened to stuff I failed to save off-line; a glitch once cost me an entire novelette (that I painstakingly wrote from scratch, and got nominated for an award for). Empathy for the irritation factor.

Mark Spieller

Westerns

Postby Mark Spieller » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:28 am

Name: Mark Spieller
Let me offer the name James Warner Bellah. If you have ever watched the John Wayne/John Ford films, FORT APACHE, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON or RIO GRANDE, then you have been exposed to the short stories of Mr. Bellah. Most of his stories are out of print, but you can find "The Valliant Virginian" in used bookstores here and there, and can witness his work as a screenwriter in both "Sgt. Rutledge" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance".

As for favorite western films, I would recommend Sam Fuller's RUN OF THE ARROW, QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (If for no other reason then Alan Rickman and Laura San Giacomo) or WINCHESTER 73 or BEND IN THE RIVER with Jimmy Stewart.

Alan

westerns

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 am

Name: Alan
Les Savage, Jr. is another western author worth reading. I also recommend the Buchanan series published by Fawcett under the house name Jonas Ward. Many of them were written by William Ard, a highly underrated crime novelist, and I believe that one of the Buchanans was ghost written by Robert Silverberg. In addition, one of the novels, Buchanan Rides Alone, was filmed as one of the Budd Boetticher-Randolph Scott westerns.

Steve Evil

Screw It. . .

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:09 am

Name: Steve Evil
Funny enough, (or not very funny at all rather, but coincidental instead) the same thing happened to me when I returned from Cleveland. Twice I tried writing up a long, sentimental report on the experience, and twice it vanished into the Cyberspace either (see posts under "Cleveland" thread in other place). The recollection that I did end up posting was nowhere near as good or immediate as the first too, and now I won't get to hear the offical response of the guest of honour.
Interesting too how the longer and more important the document is, the greater it's chances of oblivion are.
I really, really hate these fucking machines.

-Steve E.

C. Cooper

for Rick O.

Postby C. Cooper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 am

Name: C. Cooper
Hiya Mr. Ollerman! Don't be fooled by the dye-job, although she'd probably be amused that you were. But, if you don't wanna take *my* word for it, see below:
Suzanne de Passe (born in 1948 in New York City, New York) is an American entertainment executive; the CEO of television production company de Passe Entertainment; and the first African-American woman to be nominated for an Academy Award for writing.
De Passe first became notable as an executive for Motown Records, a company which she joined in 1968 after being introduced to Motown chief Berry Gordy by Supremes member Cindy Birdsong. At Motown, de Passe helped to produce television specials such as TCB and G.I.T. on Broadway, both starring Diana Ross & the Supremes and The Temptations, and was responsible for signing, coaching, and developing Motown's most popular act of the 1970s, The Jackson 5.
In 1973, both she and Lonne Elder III became the first African-Americans to be nominated for an Academy Award for writing. She was nominated for co-writing the screenplay for the Berry Gordy-produced Lady Sings the Blues starring Diana Ross as singer Billie Holiday, while Elder was nominated for Sounder. De Passe co-wrote Lady Sings the Blues with Terence McCloy and Motown recording artist Chris Clark.
De Passe continued to work for Motown, mostly producing television specials such as Motown 25 for the company's Motown Productions film/TV division into the 1980s.
In 1989, Berry Gordy sold Motown Productions to de Passe, who renamed it de Passe Entertainment. The company has since produced such television shows and feature films as Class Act, Sister, Sister, Smart Guy, and It's Showtime at the Apollo. A number of de Passe Entertainment productions hearken back to de Passe's Motown days, including the miniseries The Jacksons: An American Dream (in which she is a character, played by Vanessa L. Williams) and The Temptations, and the Motown 45 special in 2004.
De Passe also was executive producer for the miniseries Lonesome Dove, Buffalo Girls, Streets of Laredo and Dead Man's Walk, along with the syndicated series Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years. All of these projects were based on the writings of Larry McMurtry.
She has won Emmy Awards for producing the Motown 25 and Motown Returns to the Apollo specials which won for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Program. In addition, she received Emmy nominations for Lonesome Dove, Buffalo Girls, The Jacksons: An American Dream, The Temptations and the Farrah Fawcett crime miniseries Small Sacrifices. All these nominations were in the Outstanding Miniseries category. De Passe was inducted into the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame in 1990.
De Passe is an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Rick Ollerman

Suzanne dePasse

Postby Rick Ollerman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:57 am

Name: Rick Ollerman
The real correction that should be made is having me not open my mouth (via my fingers). The folks that have set me straight about Ms. dePasse are absolutely correct. I need to calibrate the settings on my television or something, though.

Acutely sorry.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49 am

Name: Frank Church
Stagecoach is a masterwork, yes, yes. I slept on it for years as well.

Kids think they know everything, until that scorpion gets into their sleeping bag and they understand what real danger is. Danger is living life being artless; better off letting that scorpion crawl up your ass and die.

-------------

Let's not forget Bend In The River, steller film with my boy James Stewart. The man basically owned Hollywood. He just rented little chunks of the fools gold to the rest of us, like it was crack.

----------

Is Brokeback Mountain a cowboy film?

---------------

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am

Name: David Ray
The following article about Kitty Genovese is from today's Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/ ... ovese.html

David

David Loftus

there's cowboys and there's . . . .

Postby David Loftus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 am

Name: David Loftus
:: Is Brokeback Mountain a cowboy film?

Naw, atsa piece o'sheep.

(Actually, I liked it a lot. I'm very fond of the late John Wayne-Roscoe Lee Browne picture, "The Cowboys," too; sort of Little House on the Prairie meets Lord of the Flies.)

Keeney

re WRITE

Postby Keeney » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Name: Keeney
c'mon, Ellison

write the damnthing again

then send me a pair of your poopy-soiled underdrawers in fair exchange for my presumptuousness.

har,
R

shagin

Postby shagin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:12 pm

Name: shagin
Genovese which now is fact
Joins Lizzy Borden and her axe...

HITLER PAINTED ROSES anyone?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”