Pavilion Digest: August 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: August 2007

Postby admin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:39 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of August 2007.

LarryF

What If The Beatles Were Irish?

Postby LarryF » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:39 am

Name: Larry Forrest
Source: unca20070808.htm
If you need to be cheered up (and who among us does not?) check out www.royzimmerman.com. The above question is humorously answered, and such songs as "Dick Cheney" and "Ted Haggard Is Completely Heterosexual" gave me more than a few laughs.

It's funny because it's true.

Ezra Lb.

THIS BRAIN HAS PLANS OF ITS OWN

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:38 am

Name: Ezra
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20061907/

PARIS' BRAIN (2007)

Plot Summary: Yet another version of Curt Siodmak's novel about an honest but misguided scientologist (played by Tom Cruise) who keeps the brain of a clueless, uh I mean ruthless, dead billionaire alive in a tank. Paris manages to impose her powerful will on Cruise, and uses him to murder her enemies or at least scratch their eyes out.

Paris came in and owned it, says director Darren Lynn Bousman

The scenes where Tom takes on the physical mannerisms of Paris to act out her vengeance have already started Oscar talk.

Josh is going to hate himself for passing on this one...

M Jacka

Postby M Jacka » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:08 am

Name: Mike Jacka
This Sunday I called my dad to wish him a happy 73rd birthday. My mother replied that he couldnt come to the phone because he was working on the gate. They own a nice piece of pine-covered land in Eastern Arizona, so it wasnt just a yell out the window that I was on the phone. And this isnt just a garden gate; this is large, old, wood gate on their main road. I called back later and told him I wasnt sure that fixing gates was the way to spend a birthday. After explaining that it was a 15 minute job that wound up taking two hours (and knowing my dad, he was exaggerating its simplicity) he went on to say, Im just glad the good Lord has seen fit to make me able to keep on doing this at 73.

Passings should also remind us of who is still with us. And, Harlan, since you are one of those either heading towards or just having left the gates of 73, Id like to add that Im glad the good Lord has seen fit to make you able to keep on doing what you do.

(My apologies if this all seems a bit maudlin but its been the kind of week)

Mike

Rob Ewen

Tom Snyder

Postby Rob Ewen » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:09 am

Name: Rob Ewen
I was sorry to hear of Mr Snyder's passing. Although he was virtually unknown in the UK, many of his interviews have crossed the pond in one (unofficial) form or another. I'm told one website is posting some of his radio interviews even as I write this.

The most memorable interview I've seen involved Harlan and the Yerka painting, as mentioned below. Anybody who can leave Mr. E. speechless with a gift deserves our good thoughts!

Paul (the bro) and I send his family, and all who knew him, our condolences.

(On a personal note, I'd also like to post my condolences for Roderick Jones, a fine fellow community actor (he played Toby Belch to my Andrew Aguecheek some ten years ago), who sadly passed away last week following long-standing complications from Legionnaire's Disease. Your tread will be missed on our boards, sir.)

regards
Rob E.

Bret Bertholf

Tom Snyder

Postby Bret Bertholf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 am

Name: Bret Bertholf
Dear Harlan,

I would like to add my voice, belatedly, to the chorus of condolences. When I heard the news, like many of the people on the forum, I immediately thought of you and hoped you were comforted by the love and friendship of your immediate circle.

For the rest of you, I once posted how my mind was blown when Mr. Ellison mentioned that he was a friend of Shel Silverstein's. If you're looking for some comic relief from the daily bludgeon, I recommend "Playboy's Silverstein Around the World," just out from Simon & Schuster. Though I aspire each day to Take Life By the Balls, like our host, I also wouldn't mind occasionally tickling it there, like Shel. In fact, my aspiration for today is to Tickle Life By the Balls. I'll let you know how it works out. --Bret

David Loftus

irritant

Postby David Loftus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:43 am

Name: David Loftus
I'm not having any luck bringing up the Forums. Anybody else have this problem? Have they been disabled? Should we report it to Rick?

In the mean time, there's an item on eBay that's described as "Harlan Ellison Prostitute 1958." Once you see the cover, the description makes sense, but initially it's kind of startling/amusing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-ADVENTURES-2 ... dZViewItem

Darryl

Tom Snyder

Postby Darryl » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 am

Name: Darryl
Belated condolences on the loss of your friend, Mr. Ellison.

There's a good tribute you may have missed in today's edition of the SF Chronicle. Weblink below, but if you can't find it, it's at sfgate.com, columnists, Tim Goodman, 8/01/07.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... RA8FB2.DTL

Darryl

Site Admin

Forums

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:28 am

Name: Steve Barber
Forums are back up. Rick was aware of the problem and has resolved it.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:39 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
David, I was having a problem accessing the boards earlier also, but it seems to have corrected itself.

In doing some trolling around the web, looking for more details around a possible Gonzales impeachment hearing, I came across this information from TPM MUckraker:

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/003805.php

The article itself is interesting, but the comments section is even more enlightening. In it, someone who posts anonymously goes into a great level of detail around whether or not this was an NSA or NSC sponsored program, details similarities to Iran-Contra, and describes a novel way in which Verizon (Barber may find this of interest) may figure into this case because of a linkage to the lost RNC emails.

Some in the blogosphere are speculating this could be a Deep Throat, or Deep Modem if you will, because of the level of detail this individual provides and the questions he raises

Robert Ross

Postby Robert Ross » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:21 am

Name: Robert Ross
I too want to offer condolences to Harlan on the passing of Tom Snyder. I have fond memories of staying up to watch the Tomorrow Show many, many times when Harlan was a guest. Some people have chemistry; Harlan Ellison and Tom Snyder had a kind of alchemy that I haven't seen on any other TV talk show.

And I remember Tom Snyder's laugh. There was one time in the late '90s, with Dean Koontz as the guest, when a caller asked Mr. Koontz a question along the lines of, since you write scary fiction, you are scared of anything yourself, or do you have any phobias? With perfect deadpan delivery Dean Koontz said something like "I do suffer from Coleman-phobia. That's fear of the child actor Gary Coleman."

Tom Snyder laughed so hard at that I thought he might fall off his chair.

Also ... I hesitate to do this, but I will point out, there is an error in the post from Edmund Boys. Tom Snyder did present the painting to Harlan on the air, but the painting was not a gift from Snyder. The painting was a gift from Harlan's publisher at Morpheus International, James Cowan. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, or diminish the memory of Tom Snyder in any way. With all the mis-information out there on the Web, I just want to try and keep the record straight here ...

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FLYING BLUE MONKEY BATTALLION HQ ADVISORY 7741

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
DAVID LOFTUS, STEVE BARBER, and all the rest of the Battalion not currently on shore leave in Samoa:

The e.bay dealer noted in David's post just below, is not really amusing to me. Would any of you as knows how to waft these electronic waves kindly get to said merchant, and advise him that use of my name in an unauthorized way, to sell something based on recognition of my name, is potential breach of a corporate property, as well as misue of a registered trademark, to wit, "Harlan Ellison." And if he/she wants to keep that e.bay item up, and sell it, he/she will have to reword the slug line HARLAN ELLISON PROSTITUTE 1958.

NOW, they must do it. If you would alert them that if it ain't gone by end of business today--LA time or NYC time--they'll get no more polite requests, they'll hear from one of my devil dogs.

Thank you.

Not amused, Yr. Pal, Harlan

Chris Seggerman

Postby Chris Seggerman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 am

Name: Chris Seggerman
Harlan,

I add my condolences, and a memory:

If not for Tom Snyder, I probably would not have found out about Harlan Ellison. I had heard the name and read "A Boy And His Dog"-- seeking out the text after finding the graphic novel at the Glendale Public Library-- but had never seen the personality behind the words. I didn't know about any of the nonfiction works which have since enlightened and entertained, or any of the devastating short fiction. Somehow, I'd lived two decades with a hurricane registering as a faint pulse on my reading radar.

The interview changed that. I saw your zeal and dedication to your craft. I heard you answer a question from a caller about "Memos From Purgatory". I also heard you talk about fending off a private school from encroaching on the land your property either overlooks for the sake of a tennis court. Or perhaps they were actually trying to get some of YOUR land-- which, in the interview, you mention as a former haunt of Edgar Rice Burroughs. I saw all of this through the medium of television.

And the first time I saw you speak live, in person, I wanted to ask you how you'd fared against the private school, but heard you rail against the evils of television. So I had to pose the question in such a way that I would not admit to having glanced upon the sullied box. So I spoke, stammered, and clutched to a "like"-raft before being called on my resemblance to a Valley Girl. I didn't get too much further. You didn't have any idea what I was talking about. I still couldn't describe an alternative explanation for my question, so I finally just said "You were on Tom Snyder's show about this!"

Your eyes lit with recognition and the anecdote flowed.

So not I had two men to watch out for: Harlan Ellison and Tom Snyder. I watched his last broadcast in hopes of seeing you, and did, in a montage of famous guests.

Despite the perfectly justified brouhaha regarding the copyright of your reading from Mind Fields, it tickled me to see the video of Tom Snyder catching you absolutely STUNNED. My girlfriend Krista couldn't quite believe it-- perhaps because at the Nebulas you told me you'd had her auctioned off to some "swarthy gentlemen" and therefore had no shame-- but our lives are richer for witnessing Mr. Snyder's generosity and your reaction.

Site Admin

eBay Item

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 am

Name: Steve Barber
Harlan and Blue Monkeys

So that we do not have a pile-on, I have called and left a polite message at the seller's offices requesting a callback.

Squadron Administrative Assistant to the Second Level Assistant to the Tertiary Secretary Barber

robochrist

Inquiry Of A Different Color

Postby robochrist » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Name: Rob
The internet - at times - can be mercilessly lame in searches.

I once saw a PBS bio about the great contralto, Marian Anderson. They ran a piece of film from her famous 1939 performance in DC, Eleanor Roosevelt's invitation, and both the piece and her voice are one of the greatest things I'd ever heard in all my existence!

I very much WANT a recording - a cd - of that performance, if it's at all available. What I haven't been able to get clear from my search is, simply, the name of the piece and the composer. I think I saw a source credit Leonard Bernstein. WAS that a piece composed by Bernstein (not something that went further back?). Worse, another source referred to the piece as something nauseating like, "White House Sonota". Surely, a composition that profound would have a more aesthetically inclined title.

Anyway...if any of you (Harlan?) could help me with this, I'd really be grateful. A confirmation of the title and composer, and if Anderson's performance is available on cd. Amazon, etc, got kind of confusing and vague on this.

(Believe me, the emotional state I get into at times demands a need for her voice and the moments of ease I know it will bring in those moments. I need it for therapy as much as anything else)

Thanks in advance.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”