Pavilion Digest: May 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: May 2007

Postby admin » Tue May 01, 2007 5:39 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of May 2007.

Elijah Newton

Postby Elijah Newton » Tue May 01, 2007 5:39 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Source: unca20070528.htm
Mike J : thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for that one.

Braino : thank you for the correction of the novel's title - having seen the movie back when it came out, I'm quite certain I'm more interested in the novel behind it. :) Hopefully it will have been returned to the library by my next visit.

Steve Barber (and any interested parties) : Nice to hear that I'm not way off base though I do think it odd that, given the casually acceptance that we live in a culture of attention deficit, that short fiction is waning.

When did magazines drop fiction, anyway? Many of Ms. Jackson's shorts in the omnibus I'm reading were originally published in magazines that are still in existence (Good Housekeeping, for instance). Playboy was reasonably famous for their short fiction (though perhaps they still publish it? Pure as the virgin snow as I am, I wouldn't know). The only explaination I can come up with is that somewhere along the line editors decided the page space could more profitably be used by selling advertisements. The plausible cynicism of my supposition sets my teeth on edge.

TimCase

Re: Short Fiction

Postby TimCase » Tue May 01, 2007 6:45 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
The supposition by magazine and book publishers that the reading public for some reason doesn't want short stories is sort of self-fulfilling, isn't it? How are new readers going to discover a love for the short story if they can never find one?

They say book publishers are loath to release short story collections, yet one of my favorite books of the past several years, "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri, sold very well. PLAYBOY, once one of the few big-money markets for writers, published some amazing fiction over the years yet now hardly features any at all.

I still find wonderful short fiction every month in the NEW YORKER and in the digests ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE and THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, but I'm afraid that, without more support, even those fine little venues may soon go the way of the horse-drawn carriage, the Wright B Flyer and the dodo bird.

(or 'ugly chicken' for you Waldrop fans out there).

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Tue May 01, 2007 7:08 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Thanks, Peg.

THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY...Two newsletters in one month. Rabbit Hole #41 is being mailed. There is time-dated material in this issue. Don't delay!!!

And, lost two members...Mark McQueary (it's a FPO AP address) John Krocker of Austin, Tx.

Thanks--Susan

Bob Homeyer

Short Story Collection Recommendation

Postby Bob Homeyer » Tue May 01, 2007 8:34 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
"Thirst" by Ken Kalfus.

Larry Forrest

The Atheists Strike Back!

Postby Larry Forrest » Tue May 01, 2007 10:25 am

Name: Larry Forrest
I can't recall a time when so many atheistic books were so popular. THE GOD DELUSION by Richard Dawkins and THE END OF FAITH by Sam Harris have gotten the most attention thus far, but now Christopher Hitchens weighs in with GOD IS NOT GREAT. The latter is definitely the most combative of these books, with Hitchens, characteristically enough, pulling no punches.

He spends a few pages describing his visit to the compound of Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh, near Bombay, and tells of seeing something which struck me as being downright revelatory.

"But on the whole, the instruction was innocuous. Or it would have been, if not for a sign at the entrance to the Bhagwan's preaching-tent. This little sign never failed to irritate me. It read: 'Shoes and minds must be left at the gate.'" I'll give Bhagwan credit for honesty, at least.

If truth-in-advertising laws were strictly enforced, a similar sign would be required to be prominently posted in front of houses of worship. A suggestion: "Minds must be left at the door. Money must be left in the collection plate. Amen!"

A belated thanks to all those who posted photos and comments about the premiere of DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH. While I wasn't able to attend, I for damn sure will see the film should it play in these rustic parts, or, failing that, I'll catch it on DVD. Hallelujah!

john zeock

goodbye

Postby john zeock » Tue May 01, 2007 10:31 am

Name: john zeock
Dabbs Greer 1917 - 2007

Carstonio

Postby Carstonio » Tue May 01, 2007 11:10 am

Name: Carstonio
Larry,

In his WATCHING column, Harlan referenced Charles Fort's theory of Steam Engine Time. Do you suppose we are living in Atheist Time? I hope so - I welcome almost anything that would challenge the influence of the religious right. I read about the astonishing number of graduates from Pat Robertson's Regent University that have been hired by the Bush Administration.

Ryan Leasher

Subscription still good?

Postby Ryan Leasher » Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 am

Name: Ryan Leasher
SUSAN-

Do I still have issues remaining on my Rabbit Hole subscription?

Thanks.

--
Ryan

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:35 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Chris Hitchens is a hypocritical scumbag and anything he says I examine with the greatest amount of scrutiny. For example, while he has this new book excoriating religion, just last year he was a special guest at James Dobson's Family Research Council, one of those lovely places that think that the Founding Fathers really wanted a Christian based theocracy.

Max Blumenthal does a better job of taking this guy apart than I ever could:

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/4/30/162545/816

Site Admin

Christian-Based Theocracies (and the conversion of The Innoc

Postby Moderator » Tue May 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Theologically speaking, my previously mentioned jaw-dropping moment with a good friend who is clearly emerging as a fundamentalist Christian, was a nasty revelation for me. I believe in God (stop laughing), but don't adhere to much of an organized doctrine.

What startled me the most was the instant physical conversion of a sharp, funny, intelligent friend into a theological automaton complete with a blank expression, a condescendingly artificial and tolerant smile plastered on his face, unwavering, and curiously distant eyes. Think Stepford Disciple and you'll understand.

I've known this guy for twenty years, and yet the person in front of me last Saturday night could not hear a word I was saying if it differed with his own philosophy. In his view all who do not accept Christ as Lord will be condemned to Hell, no exceptions.

Given that only one in three people worldwide fit his definition (at its broadest), I told him I thought that was a bit "exclusionary". He merely shrugged and said "I can't dispute that". When I suggested that maybe all beliefs -- including Athiesm -- were merely different aspects of a diverse God, he shook his head and defended his position by stating "that's not what the Bible says". (My assumption is whatever passage that is can be found solely in the New testament, but that's only a guess.) When I suggested that this kind of exclusionary position might be considered Hubris, he shrugged and said "it can't be, this is what Christ tells us".

*sigh* I love the guy, but am afraid that this will seriously color my view of him from now on. I never judge another's religious beliefs, but when it comes down to the old "and all other 'false' religions will be cast into Hell" routine I DO get a bit testy.

The good news is that, this being the end times and all, we won't need to worry about Global Warming for much longer.

On the other hand, the evening did have one moment of glorious triumph for me when -- in the middle of our NORMAL-person political debate (Me Liberal, Him Bushie) -- his twelve year old daughter, until now a conservative Church's "true believer" both spiritually and politically, held up her hand to indicate she wanted to comment.

Said she: "I'm beginning to think Steve is right. John Kerry would have been a better President..."

Which kept my friend silent for a good two minutes.

Laurie

Various replies...

Postby Laurie » Tue May 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Name: Laurie
To my new fiances, Harlan, Susan & Davey and to David Walker:

Thank you for your kind words about my teaching. Frankly, I am not at all sure I fully deserve your reaction, although I do know I was on the right track reading more Ellison stuff on the patio that day.(I should mention that a few other authors have been read to students on that same patio during the time of the pinhead administrators--the Beat authors and poets were also on the forbidden list--Harlan's stories were in good company among the banned).

But the truth is, I am not some kind of sainted dedicated teacher, determined against all odds to turn young minds toward the light. It would be embarrassing for me to relate how I got into teaching in the first place (sheer necessity to support my aging parents), how very reluctant I was to do this job when I first started and how I drifted strangely, through a series of events which would not make me look particulary heroic if told, into the type of work I now do. For many years, I was not exactly brilliant at this, either; I just survived. This is the kind of job where schools (or detention centers) are happy if you are willing to show up day after day and you are happy if you survive without serious injury. After a number of years of doing this, as with anything else you do for a long time, I got better at it. At this point, I can honestly state that I am pretty good at this kind of work. I even enjoy it on my good days. But I have had to make peace with the idea that no matter what you do on this job, you cannot help most students much. They come to you in their late teens, early adulthood, often barely literate, having been in trouble most of their lives. Many of them are determined to continue a criminal lifestyle; it's what they're used to and what they believe they want and...change is hard for anyone. The system is underfunded and run by ignorant political animals who neither know nor care what really goes on in it. Everything is stacked against a teacher's attempts to turn things around. I have drifted into this system by default. I am a product of bad career planning and happenstance. I give myself credit as a survivor and I also give myself credit for having done the best I could and caring about those I teach. But I do not see myself as the role model for the next Movie of the Week about a heroic teacher.

Mark Goldberg: I agreed with your post about those who criticize the current administration being pilloried and marginalized. Yes, this does remind my of the McCarthy era and no Joe Welch in sight. I suffered through the McCarthy days as the daughter of a blacklisted screenwriter. I guess it's deja vu all over again. I have to continually remind my class that it is NOT against the law to criticize the government, the president etc. but well within the American tradition and supported by the Bill of Rights.

James Levy: Your description of the atmosphere at today's universities (bored unmotivated students and instructors with a narrow insulated focus and "all the elan of civil servants") really resonated with my own experience and is the main reason why I did not seek a place in academia although I do have a grad degree.

Tim: As for unsung Ellison, I am busy re-reading a lot of Ellison stuff and am rediscovering many wonderful stories and articles, and making some new discoveries as well. So far, I'd nominate, "The New York Review of Bird," it had me doubled over laughing. It's so much fun and so full of imagination. Until I read this, I had no idea anyone hated Kahil Gibran as much as I did. I have been called many unflattering names over my reaction to Gibran.

Josh, Steve Barber--I'll add my own testimony to the comments about Oregonal. It will stop a cold if anything will. It kills every virus except the computer kind. One of the all time great home remedies.

pamela

USA

Postby pamela » Tue May 01, 2007 1:49 pm

Name: pamela
pamela anderson naked

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Tue May 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
I just got back my copy of "Vossoff and Nimmitz" that I had loaned a young lady, early 20's, that I work with. She really enjoyed it. Adam-Troy, is there any chance you will be writing new stories about these characters? The stories are very funny, I really enjoyed them, in fact I subscribed to the sf magazine most, if not all, of them were published. My new selection for her to read is "Deathbird Stories" by Harlan. I think my next after that will be "Glory Road" by Heinlein. I'm trying to open her eyes to a number of different writers. I've also loaned her several recent copies of F & SF Magazine. That one I've subscribed to since the mid 60's. I sold nearly all of my old issues a few years ago in a garage sale when I was moving. I had a young lady buy some for her father who was disabled and he enjoyed them so she came back and I sold her the rest at a reduced price simce they were going to a good home.
Off to treadmill now to walk for a while. I'm listening to The Fifth Dimension "The Definitive Collection" to put a little pep in my step.

DTS

Steve Barber's post -- and art programs Down Under

Postby DTS » Tue May 01, 2007 4:52 pm

Name: DTS
BARBER: If you haven't already, either rent (or purchase) a copy of "Jesus Camp," an overlooked documentary from last year. I already knew from living among them, but "Jesus Camp" was STILL a scary film (there are a total of twelve, count 'em twelve -- churchs within three or four miles from where I live, all Christian faith-based -- add in the gazillion other Christian churches, Mormon churchers, Jewish and Muslim temples, and scattered Buddhist place or two, and it feels like an invasion).

ALL: I just read an intersting piece about a 9 million dollar library being added in the city of Melbourne, Australia. The article went on to mention the Book Festival and other literary events that routinely took place there (as well as the Book Festivial and such in Sydney, which was even bigger) and then kvetched a bit about the fact that the film programs in the city weren't getting all that much money. In America, we're lucky if newspapers have book review sections. We're too busy spending money on shit like more weapons of war and tax breaks for the rich and richer.

-DTS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”