Pavilion Digest: November 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: November 2006

Postby admin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:21 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of November 2006.

John Greenawalt

No copies of this one exist today

Postby John Greenawalt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:21 am

Name: John Greenawalt
Source: unca20061122.htm
The single funniest movie I ever saw was never intended to be a comedy. I laughed so hard I almost ruptured myself. I would have thought that no movie could be that bad.

Elijah Newton

Edgeworks

Postby Elijah Newton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:48 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Heya Wyatt,

This was pretty much the first question I asked when I came onto the message board, and the short answer is that it was discontinued. I'm afraid I can't remember who it was that responded with the following comment, but this was all I heard:

'To the best of my knowledge, Ellison's relationship with White Wolf and the "Edgeworks" series is terminated. HE and his agent Richard Curtis have proposed to carry on the series under their own imprint -- can't remember the name right now . . . Edgeworks Abbey, I think -- but so far it's not happening.'

People mentioned there was a longer explaination in the archives, but I didn't look into it further.

Carstonio

Postby Carstonio » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 am

Name: Carstonio
Oh, shit! I am the world's biggest asshole for confusing the last names of Ben Stein and Ben Stiller. In the spirit of self-flagellation, I will force myself to watch Nancy Grace and "Wife Swap" for a week. I will force myself to imagine Stein in the Stiller roles in "Meet the Parents" and "Zoolander." Only then will I be purged of my guilt.

DTS

Carstonio's Self-abuse

Postby DTS » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:26 am

Name: DTS
CARSTONIO: Holy Fuck, man, have you no sense of mercy? Have you no sense of scope when it comes to a punishment that fits the crime? Nancy Grace and "Wife Swap?" The only thing worse -- or as bad -- would be watching Fox News, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, "Survior," and/or "The Apprentice" for a week.

Either that, or a remake of "Bob & Carol and Ted & Alice," starring Rob and Todd and Frank and John (the un-named one of recent). The horror...The horror!
--DTS

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:49 am

Name: Steve Barber

Carstonio, the good news is that I'd consider "WIN BEN STILLER'S MONEY" to be both an easier game and worth a lot more cashola in the long run.

Should soldiers in Iraq be getting the impression that they'll need to exactly tow the party line upon their return from duty if they want to be appreciated? That would be MY reaction if I were on active duty.

From all appearances, service overseas doesn't seem to be of much value unless you're willing to support the President completely and unequivocably on all issues, otherwise they have no compunction thoroughly trashing you just to win an election.

(The experiences of decorated veterans John Kerry and John McCain being perfect examples of this expectation. The latter would appear to have caved completely.)

Service to America used to earn you respect from politicians, regardless of party affiliation. If Patton or Nimitz criticized a war or policy, you'd never have seen them so scathingly ripped apart by a sitting president the way Kerry and Murtha are.

I'm just saying...

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:06 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Anyone who wants to read a wonderful piece on Halloween should check out Neil Gaiman's op-ed contribution to yesterday's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/opini ... nd&emc=rss

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:15 am

Name: Frank Church
Don't remind me of Ben Stein. This is the guy who apologizes for Nixon's anti-semitism, because Nixon was a "friend" to the state of Israel. Stein kind of let the truth out of the bag: it was never about anti-semitism, it was about keeping the occupied land of Israel for Israeli's only.

------------

Dorman, you mean me, Cindy, Kristin and Peggy. I gots skills, kid.

Todd only likes missionary, Rob is too loud and John is too moody. Likes my mens ripe. Yow.

MC Scoop Snoobie Wiggles. Beeeach.

------------

John Kerry, keep tellin it fella.

john zeock

nigel kneale

Postby john zeock » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Name: john zeock
Nigel Kneale 1922-2006.

John

Comments about Harlan in Eszterhas's new book

Postby John » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Name: John
From THE DEVIL'S GUIDE TO HOLLYWOOD:

Annecdotes and quotes ala Harlan are related on pages 54, 73, 106, 213, 297 (it has an index too with these listed).

Dead gophers, Roddenberry, naked photos, Paramount, Terminator -- it's all there, baby!

mark j. Owens

Postby mark j. Owens » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Name: mark j. Owens
ATTENTION eBay BROWSERS:
If you are new to hunting for books by Harlan Ellison on eBay, don't think for a moment that the seller with something to move knows what they are talking about (yes, most are knowledgeable, but some aren't). Research the book you are looking for, so you will know if a given title is indeed a first edition as listed, or a first printing of a later edition. Some sellers don't know the difference. Yes, most will let you return a book, but that takes both time and money from you, so know what you are looking for. I've been correcting sellers when I see a error being posted, but there is no way in Hades I can get spank them all. As for the prices (some are too high), that's up to you; if you want it that bad, you going to be willing to shake that wallet empty and do it with a smile (that is, until the electricity

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Name: David Ray
Susan, I received Edge In My Voice Vol.2 today. I'm looking forward to listening to the various HE stories read by the master himself as I'm commuting to work. Thank you!!

David

Mark Spieller

Taking care of the future

Postby Mark Spieller » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:01 am

Name: Mark Spieller
A recent item over at PW's THE BEAT, lead me to Neil Gaiman's site. He spoke about recently passed writers who did not prepare wills that protected or indicated how they wanted their creative works handeled.

HE, has spoken and written in the past about how he has made arrangements for his own works, but many seem to have not taken such care. Mr. Gaiman with an assist from an Estate attorney prepared a boilerplate testament that can be used as a model for anyone who needs to think about the dipositiong of their creative works. It is valid in the United States. Requests are being made for like documents from other countries.

Here is a link to Mr. Gaiman's site where a PDF file can be found and additional suggestions on how to make sure you works don't end up like Poe's, Lovecraft's, or Robert E. Howard's.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2006/ ... it-on.html

DTS

RIP: William Styron

Postby DTS » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:37 am

Name: DTS
TIP O'THE WRITERLY HAT to the late William Styron, of whom James Baldwin once wrote, "He has begun the common history -- ours." Styron wrote some truly great novels, such as LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS, THE CONFESSIONS OF NAT TURNER and SOPHIE'S CHOICE -- not to mention the memoir, DARKNESS VISIBLE.
-DTS

Carstonio

Bob Barr, My New Best Buddy

Postby Carstonio » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:55 am

Name: Carstonio
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00881.html

I was shocked and gratified to read that Barr opposes the Bush Administration's warrantless wiretapping. This is the same man who rivaled Ken Starr as the bane of Bill Clinton's existence. Above is a link to yesterday's online chat with Barr. My question was one of the ones that he answered.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”