Pavilion Digest: September 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: September 2006

Postby admin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:03 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of September 2006.

lonegungirl

Postby lonegungirl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:03 am

Name: Lonegungirl
Source: unca20060901.htm
Kim Smith:

"I remember a lady in a chair in front of me. A couple three maybe. One was gifted with dark, short hair and a wheeled suitcase. I think another was a long haired Asian lady. I was impressed by the fortitude and courtesy of those in line (though one guy did have that fannish "I know everything about everything and am going to prove it right here right now" sort of attitude going on with his mouth)."

Asian lady! Right here! And I have to think that either the guy in front or in back of me was the guy of which you speak. They seemed perfectly nice, but oy! Non-stop pontificating for 3.5 hours! On the upside, I now know many rationales for why "Titus" is the world's best TV sitcom, and how to alleviate the expensive costs of shipping to Canada.

ON WHATEVER:

I was going to say something about being called a "nutjob" and the dubious wisdom about anyone thinking all women should think one way or the other, as if we were all some sort of Borg-hive mentality. But then, I remembered the kindly R. Silverberg at the panel discussion, who said "when someone comes up to me and starts arguing, I just say 'well, you might be right" and then walk away. It saves a lot of talking.'

Soo..."well, you might be right."

Jack Skillingstead

Postby Jack Skillingstead » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 am

Name: Jack Skillingstead
Anyone who was there (as I was) who did not already harbor some spiteful feelings towards Harlan could not reasonably interpret the incident as anything but innocent silliness. Reading through some of the comments here and elsewhere is depressing.

admin
Site Admin

Oh no. Oh no no no no no.

Postby admin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:14 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
Nuh-uh. No way.

Harlan, you know (I hope), that I love you and Susan dearly, have since the first time we spent a good deal of real world time together, in the flesh...and that I worry about you two when things like this happens. As much of a boon as this site and board have been to you at times, there are other times I am embarassed and ashamed that it has been the vehicle to bring the ugliness and inconsideration of the world screaming into your home at close to lightspeed.

This is one of those times, natch.

AND.

I want you to be happy. I want to do what I can in that regard. While I have a responsibility to keep this site running, I also consider it my duty, not as your webmaster but as your friend, to offer whatever aid I find possible when you are in need or having troubles.

It's easy for me to confuse those duties. I am as uncomfortable creating debt as you are at being indebted. And it's recently come to the forefront of my mind that perhaps the reason (other than actually having a life these past few years) that I've let the rest of the site languish while focusing on this area is because I dislike wondering if the site is the basis of that friendship and not shared experience. That's not a healthy way to think, and even if it were it's a poor way to handle it, and you have my apologies on that. Having realized it, I am going to take steps in the next few weeks to rectify it.

It's also true that I have owed you and Susan a visit, one that is almost half a year overdue. One that has already been PAID FOR by the wonderful folk here. I plead that my work has been so fucked up (I've had two major realignments/position changes involving myself and two separate sets of people that wound up reporting to me) that the kind of time I'd like to spend has not been possible. But that's an excuse as well. I found time to make it down to Costa Rica for our first family vacation in ten years. I could have chosen LA instead. I will not apologize for choosing family first, but I WILL try to get down there at the first available opportunity.

There are many more things I could say, but like Susan I do not like this medium for conveying them. I do it here because I DO owe those who come here some explanation of where I've been and where I'm at.

BUT.

Just as this is not the place for anyone else to remonstrate about your relationship and current condition of offense or non-offense, beef or non-beef, with Connie Willis, neither is this the place to resolve that state of affairs. I have no desire to see that played out on any larger stage than necessary. I am sorry enough that this place has been part of that folderol getting blown out of proportion and brought under the imbecile light of Internet Public Scrutiny. I suspect that it is that very light which has made it difficult for Connie to respond to you. If I were her I would be damned if I would make some response that would be picked over by jackals and either lauded or harumphed in their usual unempathetic or over-empathetic fashion -- thereby adding to what has already become an unfortunate and embarassing event. I am not going to willingly be part of that.

I also suspect this has been a bad and trying week for you. That you are suffering, as you so often do, from being publicly analyzed and re-analyzed and over-analyzed and still nearly completely misunderstood. I also know how seriously you take assaults made on your friends as a result of their standing in the line of fire, and how it pains you when that occurs. It troubles me that it may be the result of all this that uncharitable feelings and suspicions towards a friend, be they grounded or not, have been displayed here.

I would never tell you what you can or cannot say here, what emotions or misgivings you can and cannot reveal. That is your right. This is your home. But it is MY home as well, and I pay the rent and clean the gutters. I am as responsible for what goes on here as you are. I take that responsibility as seriously as you take yours towards your friends.

I wish I had the time today to make this prettier and more considered, to clean up the run-on sentences and comma splices that litter my prose, to do this perfectly. I wish I could resolve this without resorting to the webderland equivalent of the nuclear football. But this has already taken a hour I did not have last night, and a half hour I did not have today, and I have to do SOMETHING.

THEREFORE.

I'm leaving the latest posts up, rich's response included. And if Ms. Willis wishes to make a public statement about the PUBLIC part of, hell, I dunno what you'd call it, HugoGate?, my e-mail is rick@rickwyatt.com. It's only fair to give her that opportunity, although I hope it is unecessary.

Other than that, nada. I am pushing the big red button. We are going to have a time out over the weekend. Consider me the parent who came in and pulled the plug on the stereo when the party got ouf control and people started pulling each other's hair.

I want everyone, EVERYONE, involved to take a few days to chill the fuck out. Take a walk - outside, not on a treadmill. Sit on a porch and watch a storm blow in. Call an old friend and make sure they know how much you love them. Do whatever kind or ugly things you have time for.

Just don't do them here.

See you on Monday.

admin
Site Admin

Release the hounds

Postby admin » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:39 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
Source: unca20061122.htm
Okay, posting is turned back on. I would love to say something deeply meaningful and philosophical but my time today is limited. I'm even too tired to be sardonic. So I'll just say please don't do anything that would cause me to want to turn this thing back off again.

`Angeles Dembowski

Good Wishes

Postby `Angeles Dembowski » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:11 am

Name: `Angeles Dembowski
I'm a big fan, but as a mother Iwill never forget how kind Mr. Ellison was to my teenage son in talking to him & sining a book. He's is 39 years old now & still has the book in a safe place. Thank you for all you have done & written.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 am

Name: Brian Siano
Wonderful to have the Pavilion back, Rick.

And just to throw out a topic to begin with... I got my copy of Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie's _Lost Girls_. Anyone else have this yet? (I figure David Loftus is up on this already.) Utterly amazing piece of work.

steveperry

Postby steveperry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 am

Name: Stephen
is it safe to come out from behind the furniture yet?

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:34 am

Name: Ace
Lost Girls:

I love Moore and love Gebbie, but a comic showing the sexual adventures of children isn't exactly my cup of tea. I personally see this book as case of pushing boundries just for the sake of pushing boundries.

I could do a moronic comic series about how Winnie the Pooh runs a gay s&m club, and explore the sexual perversions of young Christopher Robin, and the series would fly off the shelves.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPENT, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:22 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Welcome back, friends and observers.

It's been a tough 2 weeks.

Apart from the Hanging Judge tenor of what went down after the Hugo Awards Ceremony, last Monday morning I awoke to find Susan in the throes of angst:

Her father, my father-in-law, the nifty Tibor Toth, in the U.K., Hereford, to be exact, was back in the hospital ... and wasn't expected to live. Post-operative pneumonia. Serious.

Susan flew out on the Tuesday after Labor Day, and has been gone for five days. She flew back in on Air New Zealand last night, and I took her out for our belated 7 Sept 20th Wedding Anniversary dinner (which we'd missed on the 7th, because she was sitting beside a bed in the critical ward). Whether Tibor lives or dies, is pretty much up to him. He is a tough "old" guy -- actually, I am a year older than Susan's father -- but as it comes to all of us (and this last 2 weeks has brought the feeling to me acutely), at some point one just says, aw fuggit, I'm weary, let me rest, put me away from all the sturm und drang of getting from day to day with a never-decreasing new wave of social terrorists trying to play whack-a-mole with my dignity and self-respect...

And you either fight, or you pack it in.

It is the Great War of everyone's existence.

Tibor is down to 65 lbs., he's got lungs filled with fluid, he can't take solid food, and he's incapacitated from human congress behind a respirator mask. So he's fighting this one all alone.

I confess to being inordinately fond of Tibor -- the only man I ever met who responded to being conscripted for military service in the Russian army by stealing one of their tanks, breaking through the Russian lines, and driving away with it, all the way to Hungary, where he sold it for a pound of butter.

I hope to hell he makes it.

I'll keep you informed.

In the next few days, I'll have some interesting surprises for you. Our life here is once again going through major Vesuvian revisions, additions, addendums and jackpots. Be patient.

There'll be a heads-up on THE CHAIR.

There'll be a pre-notice about THE KEEP.

I'll reveal the gossip who started the Willis Imbroglio.

I'll apprise you of pub schedules for three new books.

I'll bring you into the loop on 3 lawsuits I'm pursuing.

Till then, let us all speak freely, openly, forthrightly, but sans ad hominem, and with utmost civility. Fergawdsake, PUHLEEZ!

My thanks to Rick for his yeomanship of this leaky tub.

And a special thankyou to Barney Dannelke for His Good Offices, about which more later, when a certain check arrives here. No, not the one at your end, Barney; the one expected from another source at THIS end.

Nice to have y'all back.

Respectfully, Yr. Pal, Harlan

paul

Postby paul » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:38 am

Name: Paul
Susan, Harlan,
May the sadness you endure be overshadowed by the memories you cherish.
A long life and a merry one. Courage.
In my thoughts,
Paul

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:06 am

Name: Roger Gjovig
Welcome back Harlan. My thoughts and prayers to Susan and to you concerning her father. This site has been a strange place to visit considering the tenor of the conversations concerning you and Connie Willis on the other board. I assumed early on that some of the inflamitory messages I was reading were the attempt by some to cause enough havoc to close this site down, but since I can only post on this part of the website I couldn't enter the "conversation". It is good to have you back and I am interested in hearing more of the info you alluded to in your message. Roger

Paul Leslie

Postby Paul Leslie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:41 am

Name: Paul Leslie
Glad your back Harlan. Glad your back Webderlanders (I think).

I thought this site was gone for good and having seen the tenor of the conversations before it was shut down that would have been understandable. If this site becomes a negative influence in our hosts life then we as fans, friends and admirers should be ashamed and change that. Responsible, heated debate is great but why does it always get so personal? I admit the first few times I posted here I started to go that direction. Then I took a deep breath and rethought that approach. Disagree with the substance of a comment, not the commenter. A person can say a stupid thing and not be a stupid person. If we become driven by the vindictive demons in all of us and not by our more human, rational side this site will once again be made uninhabitable.

Peace and best wishes Harlan and Susan.

Adam-Troy

Whew!

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro (With Judi)
Harlan, Susan:

We are delighted to see the site back up, and you back in online communication. We're sorry to hear of Tibor's illness. Our hopes for his full recovery. We hope you're weathering the recent bout of outrageous fortune, wish you the best of luck in continuing to do so, and look forward to the next shmooze over B.L.Ts, may it not be too far away. Hope it's naught but good news for a while.

Adam and Judi

Barney Dannelke

quick note

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:19 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan ***

Got your note and the aforementioned check yesterday. Just wanted to say it's endorsed and hits the account Monday and **everything** is cool and A-OK and hunky dory and what have you. EVERYTHING.

I ended up picking up one copy of the "3-pack" late last week because I never got it as a stand-alone AND because this one had an ISBN # on the exterior card board wrapping. I'm darned near positive the ones I saw a few weeks ago were utterly blank.

The ISBN is # 1933299738

which according to Amazon and the Library of congress is not a real assigned ISBN# so I don't know what to make of that.
It also has a bar code # 9 781933 299730.
Either, or both of those may be some pure in-house inventory thing but I figured I'd note them.

And the more I think about this three pack the more I am sure this packaging went through two modes or iterations because the first wraparound was completly blank and had cardboard support strips which obscured the part of the individual packages where you could see the "3 CD's" logo in the bottom left-hand corner of each individual "book". I only mention this in case 2 packages equals two "printings" or some other nonsense.

***Susan*** My thoughts are with you and your father. Wish my thoughts counted for more these days but my sphere of influence is dwindling. ;-)

*** Tim *** That Bama ISBN # I gave out is also gibberish. Amazon lists it as a small press Robert E. Howard title, so disregard.

- Barney

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”