There's- A Bathroom on The Right.....

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

JAU AR IU?

GHYN
43%
XITEE
57%

Total votes: 7

Hathor

There's- A Bathroom on The Right.....

Postby Hathor » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:57 pm

One of the lighter moments (?) of the anniversary of John Lennon's passing was when a friend and I were discussing the lyrics of "No-Body Told Me"

For the life of me I always thought the lyrics were:

"There's MATCHES in the bathroom, just below the stairs", as in, you want to light a cigarette.

NAZIS?!?

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:03 pm

:?:

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:14 am

I had a girlfriend once who thought the tag line of Deep Purple's biggest hit was " Slow . . . comin' wo-man."

Very Freudian.

What's really rare is when one singer covers another songwriter's tune and gets the lyric wrong (speaking of Lennon). On her version of "Come Together" for the _All This and World War II_ soundtrack, Tina Turner says "he got . . . Ono psycho," where I believe Lennon sings "Ono sideboard." But I can see how somebody could screw that up, since the lyrics don't make any sense anyway.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:32 pm

Somewhere between the "misheard", e.g. Necro Waiters, you also have the other end of the spectrum with lyrics like that of John Lennon, or REM.

I never thought REM jumped the shark with "Losing My Religion", rather, WHEN THEY PUBLISHED THEIR LYRICS. The "annotated" boards were NEVER the same after that. Tch, tch...

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Mon May 08, 2006 2:12 am

There's a Depeche Mode (so sue me) tune I had to skip for years because one line would make me giggle uncontrollably. I finally exorcised this thanks to the Google thingie. The proper lyric is "I'm going cheap"... but there's a little drum echo at the wrong millisecond & I'd swear he's saying "I'm blowing cheese."

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon May 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Christ, Anthony's actually reading the old posts! Soon he'll have dirt on us ...

D.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Mon May 08, 2006 11:54 pm

I feel that primary blame lies with those unfortunates who start a thread with a title that interests my misfiring synapses. Once in a while, I actually think of a response that seems to fit, et voila.

I'm not going to start digging back through the strata or anything -- thus far, I've just sampled what's on the first page of each forum &, wellheck, it's nice to get a moment of distraction. Your secrets remain safe in my sloth, or maybe some random marsupial.

Actually, there's at least one term for these mis-heard lyrics. Mog Decarnin calls them mondegreens. Wow -- that must've been like 1985.

Mog said the name comes from her own singing of an English folk some about some brave & noble lord who fought the invaders, only to finally fall, though his side did win. Weeping, the survivors brought forth his body "and Lady Mondegreen."

Which I'm not going to explain because it's funnier that way, like the beloved kids' Sunday School character: Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear.

Mindtraveller

Postby Mindtraveller » Tue May 09, 2006 4:19 am

Seriously. What the **** is this?
If you could be me, who would you be?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Tue May 09, 2006 5:44 pm

It calls itself The Ellison Bulletin Board.

Glad to help.

Mindtraveller

Postby Mindtraveller » Wed May 10, 2006 5:07 pm

Anthony Ravenscroft wrote:It calls itself The Ellison Bulletin Board.

Glad to help.

Somehow that comment clarified it all.
If you could be me, who would you be?

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Thu May 11, 2006 1:56 pm

My "Gladly The Cross Eyed Bear" is from that old Donovan song "I Love My Shirt"-

And I don't mind/If they start to fray/That only makes them nicer still/ I love my GENES/I love my GENES/My GENES are so comfortably lovely...

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Thu May 11, 2006 2:07 pm

And I don't mind/If they start to fray/That only makes them nicer still/.../My GENES are so comfortably lovely...

Yep, see there, it's the DRUGS I tells ya, thet there Mellow Yellow was the cause of myooTAYshuns, & them blissed-out hippiefags KNEW it!!

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Fri May 12, 2006 1:29 pm

http://kissthisguy.com/lyric.php?id=2165

There used to be a "Roaming Gnome/ Where's Waldo" site called "Where's Captain Picard?" where people took pictures of a cardborad cut-out of Jean-Luc in various places around the US. The "New Jersey Turnpike" misheard lyric was icing on the cake. :lol:

paul

Postby paul » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:59 pm

A good laugh for all.

Tom Waits sings a song called Big Black Mariah. I love Tom Waits, I have for years.
When i was a young'n, i sang the song aloud, what lyrics i "knew". It was bopping and jumpy and had a beat and i liked it 'cause it was about pigs and i tried to get my pre-pubescent voice to growl like Tom, and some TW fan/guy overhears me one day, recognizes the song and says,
"WHAT did you say?"
"Ummmm... just singing a Tom Waits song." (scared surprised look in my eyes.)
"The lyrics, what lyrics? What were you singing?"
"Here come the piggies...um...all around?" Thinking that's all that's wrong.
(hysterical laughter.)"It goes "Here come the Big Black Mariah!"

I submit that i heard it off the live version, and there were more syllables used than necessary, and i couldn't hear it very well, and i wouldn't have known what a 'Mariah' was anyway, and to this day, i will sing "Here Come The Piggies", as though it were mine own. So there, too.

Good times.
The medium is the message.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Then there was that Victor Wooten song "The Loneliest Monk", inspired by Tabitha Soren's ignorance.

For those who missed it, on MTV a while ago, then President Clinton said Thelonious Monk was one of his influences when he was learning the sax, prompting her to ask just who the loneliest monk was.

My Favorite: "Homer's End Of The World"

Leonoid Whats-His-Name

Herman Munster motorcade

Birthday party, Chee-Tos

Pogo sticks and lemonade

Symbiotic stupid jerk

That's right, Flanders

I am talking about you!

Return to “The Moving Finger”