Pavilion Digest: July 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: July 2006

Postby admin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:19 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of July 2006.

Dave Clarke

Postby Dave Clarke » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:19 am

Name: Dave Clarke
Source: unca20060807.htm
Did anyone notice that the USPS will be issuing a set of DC Superheroes stamps later this month?

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:01 am

Name: Charlie
Julie, Wasn't Konrad Lorenz the person who did a study that a dog was less likely to be aggressive if it didn't have a fence protecting it? Bush, Blair, Olmert, et al. can be aggressive because they have the larger armies and they feel secure with their words and actions. Yet, who suffers in greater numbers? The civilians. We are the ones on the chopping block. Over three thousand civilians lost their lives on 9/11, over 100,000 civilians in Iraq are dead between the two Gulf wars, Palestinian and Israeli civilian deaths outnumber the combatants, etc. Since WWII, more civilians have died in conflicts than soldiers. Is that acceptable? Apparently not to the erstwhile leader of our military, General Colin Powell, who once remarked he wasn't interested in Iraqi civilian casualties. We, as civilians, better start speaking out, as it's our bodies that get pulped and mutiliated 20x more statistically than a soldier's. What's the solution? Hell, I don't know. Ban all guns? Ban all weapons of any kind? Have one army/navy/airforce under the control of a world unitary body? I think an immediate solution would be if the press every night and day started showing images of deaths, disfigurements, and dismemberments. When people get hit with bullets and bombs, it's not like on the television show Combat where you never see the bodily effects of being hit with these killing objects. I suppose it's something closer to what we saw on Saving Private Ryan. Show that reality on the 24/7 news networks and perhaps these conflicts by our military industrial complex would end quickly.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:21 am

Name: Ben Winfield
http://homepage.mac.com/josholson/PhotoAlbum88.html

Actually, the guy on the far left DOES have more than a passing resemblance to Chris Farley. A sick joke on the FX artists' part, maybe?

Hey, THERE'S an idea for a game tp play! Which Hollywood celebrity do you think would make a worthy Discard?

I pick Sarah Jessica Parker as the Horrible Heinous Horse-Lady.

John Greenawalt

Concerning Fernanda Wanamaker Wetherill

Postby John Greenawalt » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:27 am

Name: John Greenawalt
I got on the train in New York heading for Philadelphia. And found myself sitting next to a beautiful blonde haired girl with expensive gold monogrammed luggage with the initials FWW. She tried to deny being Fernanda Wanamaker Wetherill but I had guessed the truth. A debutante party had gotten out of control and some guys had wrecked one of her mansions. Her father was suing them for "damage to her reputation." One of the Hollywood studios offered her a movie contract but she turned it down. Last I heard she had married actor David Niven's son Jamie and was living on Long Island. Regards Fernanda, where ever you are.

CEC

Postby CEC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:29 am

Name: Chris
Julie - I just spent a week staying at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square. One evening, as we were leaving, several police cars pulled up and left eight or nine officers in the SWAT gear standing around in front of the hotel. When we asked the staff at the hotel about it, they didn't have a clue about what was going on.

Some of the officers were posing for pictures with onlookers so maybe they were simply trying to maintain visibility.

They all piled in their vehicles and took off after about an hour.

Keeney

HARLAN

Postby Keeney » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:12 am

Name: Keeney
five bucks

Rick

Rick Wyatt

HARLAN

Postby Rick Wyatt » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:14 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
sorry, slight revision

five bucks and dinner at White Castle

Rick

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:28 am

Name: Steve Barber
*Ahem*

Harlan: Rumbling through the change drawer I found some change from a previous trip. Four euro, seventy five.

And two Pink's dogs.

Susan: Please add me to the already too long list of bid-ees (not to be confused with "biddies", as in "old...") on whatever can be forcibly extracted from the closet. I will personally outbid rich by a nickel on anything Chocolate.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:57 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ONLY 5 MINUTES TO GO ... AND THE BIDDING IS FURIOUS!!!!!!!!

MIGAWD, THE INTENSITY!

THE DRAMA!

THE ENNUI!!

Breathfuckintaking.

he

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:02 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ALL BIDDING CLOSED!

THE GREAT HOGAN PURGE AUCTION IS ENDED!

NOW, OUR CRACK TEAM OF STATISTICIANS FROM PRICE WATERHOUSE WILL GO OVER THE BIDDING PUNCTILIOUSLY, AND THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED BREATHLESSLY, AT THIS SAME LOCATION, LATER TODAY.

OR TOMORROW.

OR MAYBE MONDAY.

remarck

Oh, damn!

Postby remarck » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:16 am

Name: Keith Cramer
I missed the bid deadline!

I found two dead squirrels on the road this morning and wanted to throw them into the kitty, to up the ante.

-keith

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:59 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** Nope. Not interested. Not even if I were running from the law. We're all square. Even Steven. Five by five. Do not call. Adjust the register and FORGET about it. You asked for a bill I would not normally have presented and you made good. Those two pieces of paper are meaningless artifacts of a meaningful friendship where at least one party has LONG since quit keeping score.

*** London plans *** After a two day crisis where I wasn't going to go this is back on again. Trouble is I don't know if I'm "over there" July 9-15th OR July 23-28th and I may not know until after the 4th. When I do know I will instantly get in touch with everyone trying to coordinate lunches, dinners, etc.

Many thanks for all the True Gen info on costs, good travel guides, etc. Since one night is probably going to be The Globe Theatre and since the National Galleries are free and public transportation is reasonable it looks to be all very much within the budget - unless I stumble upon the All Kersh & Kipling Bookstore and Pub, in which case I am fucked and it's debtors prison and the brank for me.

I also have my trusty BAEDEKER'S London and it's Environs from 1905. Should be useful, eh wot?

- Barney

Backroomditties, PA.

Jim Davis

Dammit!

Postby Jim Davis » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:01 am

Name: Jim Davis
Rick snuck in ahead of me. And here I was, all set to up my bid, if necessary, with another penny, a crayon (color: Tickle Me Pink), a Skittle (partially melted), and a ball of lint!

HOW WILL I FIND THE STRENGTH TO GO ON?

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:14 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
It's been a nice restful day today. Yes, I was catching up on everything that I had fallen behind on, I cleaned my condo, I did my laundry, wemt to the gym and even saw a new movie "The Devil Wears Prada", which was very entertaining. Tonight I'm going to a friend's house to have a grilled steak with all the trimmimgs. With everything else going on I also have been housesitting the last week. It was probably good therapy when I was over there watering the garden or feeding the 2 cats, it took my mind off things for awhile. I pick up my mother at the airport tomorrow afternoon, she's been in Reno at a med tech convention the last week. I'm going out on my balcony now for a couple of hours to try and finish reading "A Monstrous Regiment of Women" by Laurie King. It is the second in her series about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes.A very good read. Take care.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”