Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

AlexKrislov

Butler & another

Postby AlexKrislov » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:51 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Source: unca20060316.htm
There's a very interesting memoir of reading Octavia Butler in the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. The author, a black woman, talks about the SF "old boys club." Harlan gets a mention, which gave me rather mixed feelings -- nice to see him mentioned, not so nice to see him included in the "old boys club" that excludes black women. And the author seems to be unaware of Chip Delany's being black, since she seems to think there were no black writers in the field when Butler started.

But still well worth reading at http://tinyurl.com/fmxhq

Brad Stevens

Robert Altman sums up the role of the screenwriter

Postby Brad Stevens » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:51 pm

Name: Brad Stevens
Robert Altman was just interviewed on UK television (as part of BBC2's excellent The Culture Show). His comments about the screenwriter's role are so wonderfully sarcastic that I couldn't resist posting them here:

"Screenwriters don't understand what it is they're supposed to do. They're supposed to write the skeleton or the basis of the film, so we know what set to go to, what time of the morning to shoot, or what time at night, and things like that. And if they want to have it done exactly word for word, I think you would see a lot of really bad pictures".

Site Admin

Harlan, Susan and all -

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Name: Steve Barber
This is the best tribute to Ms. Butler I've read in the last few days. It's not just a bio, but a tribute to the person. Worth registering as a user if you need to...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01585.html

Figures the Post would get it right.

(Harlan, Susan - If you can't get registered let me know and I'll get you a copy.)

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:58 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
I was just watching my copy of The Goodbye Girl (the original film, not the teevee remake starring Flap and some sitcom mom)and as I watched Richard Dreyfuss wonderfully chewing up the celluloid I vaguely recall something I either read in a Harlan essay or heard him mention in one of his talks about Dreyfuss basing his character on Harlan himself.

It is a distant memory that I am barely dredging up from the unused percentage of my brain that contains distant memories and dreams that fade upon waking, but I could swear I once heard Harlan state this in a talk and I'm not sure if it was in jest or not.

This is the first time I've seen this movie in almost 20 years....and I'll be damned if I haven't been reminded of Harlan in many a scene. Am I to be committed to Bedlam, or did I hear/read true?

-TODD

STAN

IN SYMPATHY

Postby STAN » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Name: STAN
My sincerest sympathy to the families, fellow writer friends and to all concerned on the recent deaths of two icons in creativity...one in letters ... the other in film.

OCTAVIA BUTLER, sf writer

DARREN MCGAVIN, actor/director, known throughout the world as KOLCHAK...THE NIGHT STALKER from the TV series of the 1970's.

Brad Stevens

Harlan the Duck?

Postby Brad Stevens » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:24 am

Name: Brad Stevens
Todd mentioned how Richard Dreyfuss may have based his character in THE GOODBYE GIRL on Harlan. (Or was it Neil Simon, this character's creator, who based it on Harlan?) I recently read the Marvel Essentials collection of Steve Gerber's HOWARD THE DUCK, the first time I'd read this stuff since I was a kid, and I couldn't help thinking that Howard might have been inspired by Harlan.

Culture Vulture

Postby Culture Vulture » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:53 am

Name: Culture Vulture
No Brad...Harlan inspired the Mighty Thor (the 70s take). Also Michael Corleone, Lando Calrissian, and D-Day in Animal House.

Mark Goldberg

Harlan the Superhero

Postby Mark Goldberg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:49 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
If he was Canadian, I would have gone more towards Harlan as an inspiration for Wolverine...

Adam-Troy

I Can't Believe I'm Having This Conversation

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:16 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
It would be dangerous to compare him to that other Canadian Superhero, Puck.

(Shrug) I think he has more in common, at least in terms of speech patterns, with Green Arrow.

Signed, the Jewish Bouncing Boy

remarck

Harlan once told me

Postby remarck » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:39 am

Name: Keith Cramer
that he was the direct inspiration for the Umpa Lumpa.

We were on a blimp at the time, and the rarified atmosphere combined with the fact that we were both drinking HUGE quantities of Champagne (the real stuff from the Himalayas, not that French shit), may make my memory of this partiular incident a bit shakey, but there you are. It was shortly after Susan got her Blimp Pilot's license, so it must have been in 1994. That's as close as I can come to providing details about this episode.

-Keith

Jan

MICKEY/HARLAN

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 am

Name: Jan
Harlan, I was re-reading THE 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE today, and I had one of those wonderful ideas. "If the publishers of this book had the money, they ought to bind in a record, one of those little plastic jobbies, so you could hear my spec*ta*cular Mickey imitation."

Well, that was in the old days.

Could you do the voice for Webderland, if Rick is fine with it, just for laughs? Most of us could easily produce an appropriate file if you gave us a recording. What do you say?

AlexKrislov

Harlan as Howard? Nah.

Postby AlexKrislov » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Take it from me, guys. Howard the Duck is not based on Harlan. Howard is Steve Gerber. Shorter, with feathers, and smoking a stogie instead of a cigarette, but still, it's Steve. This is why not one else can write the character worth a damn.

Besides, Harlan is already a superhero. He's Harlan Ellison. Crissakes.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:52 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
TODD:

You heard true. Ricky TOLD ME he was channeling me, especially in the scene where he declares he sleeps with the window open, summer and winter, morning and night, el buffo!

Some days I feel so famous I can't even get outta bed.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Site Admin

Warning Label

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:46 am

Name: Steve Barber
Okay.

First Rich said (over on the other boards): "I was wearing galoshes when I consummated my marriage."

Then Duane rejoined: "What if I'm married, and instead of having sex with another woman (or man), I get into a leather harness, fasten a chain to my private parts and allow a riding lawnmower to drag me randomly around the back yard by my wang? Technically, that's not adultery either, but my wife and the neighbors may have something to say about it."

(And, for the faint of heart, I won't offer any quotes at all from his "Volkswagen" note.)

Finally, after all seemingly died down, our beloved host emerges from the shadows to detail for us that "Ricky TOLD ME he was channeling me, especially in the scene where he declares he sleeps with the window open, summer and winter, morning and night, el buffo!"

*Ahem*

As a member in good standing -- and self-appointed Charge d'Affairs -- of the "visual" artists contingent and anyone else with an active imagination, can we please get warning labels (PG, R, XXX) on this sort of thing?

I may not sleep for a month.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:24 pm

Name: Duane
The internet is living proof that no matter what a twisted sexual deviant you are, you have company. You could be into having "relations" with goats on fire and the only question the search engine would prompt you with would be "What type of goat?"

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”