Pavilion Digest: November 2005

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: November 2005

Postby admin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of November 2005.

Ray Carlson

Postby Ray Carlson » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 am

Name: Ray Carlson
Source: unca20051120.htm
Unca Harlan,

Thanks for your rapid reply to my query regarding newspapers and for sharing some of your reading list with us. I share your enthusiasm for THE WEEK. Its outstanding.

Again, thank you.

Elijah Newton

Postby Elijah Newton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:12 am

Name: Elijah Newton
On Halloween and age... I was listening to a bit on NPR about this just yesterday, only rather than suggesting Halloween is childish the concern was that it was becoming too inappropriate for children. Cited were horror movie prop costumes, gorier than the homespun hobo/cowboy/sheet-with-two-eyeholes-ghost costumes of the speakers' childhoods, and the sexualization of young ladies' costumes.

They ascribed this particular evolution of costumes to the 'boomer generation who had a good time as yoots and were unwilling to let go as they grew up. They got jobs and money for better costumes, more adult tastes and tolerances, and there you have it.

I say let kids celebrate Halloween until they feel lame. It might never happen - I think the nature of the holiday changes to accomodate them as they age, but at its core it's an Inversion Festival, a night when everything is upside down; you can beg something for nothing, talk to strangers and stranger than strangers.

Did I dress up for Halloween? Yep, was a Tourist all during the day - but then I work at a school, so a certain immaturity is part of the job description. Wish I could've handed out candy, but we live in a condo so there's no way for kids to come to the door. Favorite costume that I heard about this year? The three-year-old daughter of a friend is dressing up as a mailman... ferociously cute because, you see, she thinks there is only _one_ mailman in the world who delivers _all_ the letters and packages, a la Santa Claus.

hee.

On an unrelated side note:
As we're tossing around the subject of how newspapers, tv guides and such have changed over the years, could I be so gauche to ask how Playboy has altered over time? Seems like I hear about a good many authors, including our honorable host, who got their start writing for it. Back In The Day, was it just another girlie mag who'd throw a couple bucks to a starving author, or was there an element of status to writing for them? How about today? Did they/do they take unsolicited manuscripts?
I'm trying to balance two perspectives: one which says all these now-greats who used to write for it at some point in their careers and so it must have some aspect of a literary magazine, vs. another perspective which holds the more common *wink wink, nudge nudge* I-read-it-for-the-articles comments. Just wonder if there's been some fundamental shift that's gone on, I guess.

cookie

Postby cookie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:15 am

Name: cookie
Whew! I gave out 300 units of candy within an hour and a half last night! I made up 100 bags, then had some extra packages of chocolate bars if that wasn't enough. Well, it wasn't enough. I gave out the 100 goodie bags, cleaned out the rest of our chocolate bars, and sent my husband out for more. *He* cleaned out the grocery store. I hated having to turn out the light because I truly love to see the costumes. Even when we turned out the light, the doorbell kept ringing so my husband put up a sign that said "out of candy--sorry!" I had never counted our visitors before, but I honestly believe that had we not run out, we probably would have encountered at least a hundred, maybe a couple hundred more. I could hear them out in the streets until at least 8:30. So next year, I'm planning for 500. Tip: I found that kids get really excited when they get their candy in a goody bag. It might just be a couple of lollypops, but something about the goody bag makes it super special and elicits many oohs and ahhs!

I don't so much mind the older teenagers, especially if they take the time to dress up (some of them were very creative!). What ticked me off was the mother dressed like Glinda the Good Witch holding out what was very obviously her own bag for candy (all her kids had their own so she didn't appear to be collecting for someone else). Now, I don't mind it when parents are holding the bag for their very little ones on their first or second Halloween (and they are sooo cute those li'l teddy bears, tigers, and dragons!), but this woman was a bit over the top (and hill). I gave her the candy anyway because there were probably 6 kids on the porch (they come in droves) and it was just easier than telling her off and killin' the buzz.

One thing I did demand of all our guests was that they utter the words "Trick or Treat." I had to coach some of them. I said, "You have to say the words otherwise how am I gonna know what you want? I mean, you might just be standing out there in a costume for the heck of it. You gotta say the words!!!"

I didn't really dress up, but since I'm now wearing my hair in long braids (a birthday present to myself on my 40th), I put on a black hat and alligator trench coat and ---poof! Alicia Keys! I thought my youngest was going to be Darth Vader (I bought him the voice changer and everything!), but he opted for the freaky ghoul mask that scares all the little kids. The oldest (disguised as a preppie) went to a Halloween party armed with about 8 cans of silly string.

Anyway, it was a fun one. I'm really glad I moved my rehearsal to tonight. It really took both my husband and myself to get our kids where they were going and to keep the candy flowing. 300! In an hour and a half!!!

Imagine (and feel pity for) those poor teachers who have to deal with those kids in school today!!!!

Brent

the printed word

Postby Brent » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:24 am

Name: Brent
HE: Your reply to Ray Carlson was a fun read.

I was curious what your thoughts are on the CBG's new format. (Well, not so new anymore I guess...)

Even though it was never on time, I miss the weekly.

Site Admin

Shocking Halloween

Postby Moderator » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:53 am

Name: Steve Barber
When I bought eight large bags of candy on Sunday my wife rolled her eyes and told me I was being too optimistic. By 8:30 I was at the local Rite-Aid buying two more bags. I knew we were in trouble when large SUVs began congregating in the street outside our house.

One of the patterns I DID notice was that kids fourteen, fifteen and sixteen were happily ringing the bell and Trick or Treating just like the other kids. I kind of figure (as a non-parental observer) that the kids know when it's time to give it up, and any pressure from parents just contributes to the overall demise of childhood at an early age.

"I put on a black hat and alligator trench coat and ---poof! Alicia Keys!"

Coffee through the nostrils again. Again!

Bestest NPR program (runs on KCRW on Mondays at 2pm here in LaLa Land) is "Says You". No contest.

Brad Stevens

Postby Brad Stevens » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:24 am

Name: Brad Stevens
Harlan.

You should try subscribing to a few British newspapers, which seem to be of a much higher standard than their American counterparts. THE GUARDIAN is probably the best of them (their Saturday book review section is just superb), but THE INDEPENDENT is also worth reading.

DVG

Postby DVG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:01 am

Name: DVG
British newspapers and periodicals are not notably superior to their American counterparts in my opinion. The Economist probably comes closest to offering a comprehensive and objective review of world and domestic affairs; the Guardian is a bottomless well of spiteful sniping, idiotic stunts (letters from readers to random addresses in Ohio begging the states populace to vote for Kerry, for Gods sake) and rock-bottom cultural standards all round. As for such as The Spectatorwell, one is merely reminded of the old ditty (attributed variously to Belloc and Ogden Nash):

You cannot hope to bribe or twist
(Thanks God!) the British journalist.
But seeing what the chap will do
Unbribed, theres no real reason to.

We sent them Edward Murrow, they sent us Toby Young. Not really much of a comparison, Im afraid.

Duane

Literature Map?

Postby Duane » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:04 am

Name: Duane
http://www.literature-map.com/harlan+ellison.html

Has anyone seen this? Not sure what it means (probably nothing, but you never know....)

Jeff R.

Postby Jeff R. » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:41 pm

Name: Jeff R.
Michael Piller, 1948-2005. Worked on the first three Trek spinoffs and co-created DS9 and Voyager. Head and neck cancer.

Steven Burnap

Literature Map

Postby Steven Burnap » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:47 pm

Name: Steven Burnap
Looking on the first page, I see an "Ursula Guin" and a "Micheal Moorecock". That hardly bodes well.

I suspect that the newspaper will be dead in a decade, with perhaps the exception of a few big-city papers like the New York Times. Sites like craigslist are destroying one of their main revenue streams and with the AP wires easily available, few papers have all that much to offer.

Personally, I read yahoo news for factual stuff as one AP feed is as good as another. I read the electronic version of the SF Chronicle for local news. For opinion/columnists, I read wherever the blogs take me. The only time I ever handle a dead-tree paper is to read the one left in the toilet at work.

The New York Times has started carging for some of its web content. It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.

JosephFinn

Postby JosephFinn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:58 pm

Name: Joseph J. Finn
That's awful to hear about Michael Piller. Awful way to go.

Not to veer to abruptly, but my rewason for stopping by was to point people to The Victory Old-Time Candy Store: http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/index.html. It looks liek the kind of thing Harlan and some others here might be interested in.

Michael D. Blum

Postby Michael D. Blum » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:16 pm

Name: Michael D. Blum
The current issue of The Flash (#227) has Dr. Alchemy quoting the line about hydrogen and stupidity - yet another example of how HE changes the world!

best to all,
Michael

KristinRuhle

The march of technology

Postby KristinRuhle » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:44 pm

Name: Kristin Ruhl
The Internet is killing newspapers. Readership is migrating away from the paper editions to online which the papers can't make money from either through subscriptions or classifieds (online ads are a whole different business model).

What killed TV Guide (as a paper publication) was cable and satellite. There isn't enough room to print listings for 500 channels. People now use the interactive program guides that come with their cable or satellite boxes or with devices such as TiVo. THere are also searchable/customizable (you enter a zipcode and get listings for the satellite or cable system in hour area) guides online for those who do not have a box connected to their tv. TV Guide actually provides the listings in many devices (and even a rather crude guide built into our JVC set - it's based on the old StarSight engine) so I guess they are mostly abandoning the paper magazine business to become an "interactive content provider."

Kristin

Elijah Newton

perplexed

Postby Elijah Newton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:14 am

Name: Elijah Newton
um. I think I'm about to be the target of many a rotten tomato, but what was so great about TV Guide in the first place? Not to knock personal tastes but this is the last forum I would've expected to see it discussed, much less lamented. Am I, culturally deprived quasi-yoot of an offending generation, missing something?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”