Discussion

The SPIDER Symposion: in-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

Moderators: Moderator, Jan, Duane

FrankChurch

Re: Discussion

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 21, 2009 8:05 am

Jan, no more nuking my posts. Grr.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon May 25, 2009 12:14 am

Who died and made ME moderator????

Does this mean Frank has to respect me?

Seriously, I'm more concerned with contributing than moderation, but I'm grateful for the honor, and I'll certainly help out when I can, but I'm still looking for paying work, ya know! :wink:

In the meantime, I've started reading Spider Kiss. Let's see just how metal Harlan really is!

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm

More people have given their lives to make your ascent possible than you ever want to know. Your attitude is an insult to each and every one of them.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 am

We could use a Forthcoming Collection thread to begin to deal with some post-Slippage stories like these:
* Objects of Desire in the Mirror are Closer Than They Appear (1999) (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction October/November issue)
* The Toad Prince or, Sex Queen of the Martian Pleasure-Domes (1999) (Amazing Stories issue 600)
* From A to Z, In the Sarsaparilla Alphabet (2001) (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction February issue)
* Incognita, Inc. (2001) (Realms of Fantasy August issue)
* Never Send to Know for Whom the Lettuce Wilts (2002) (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction January issue)
* Goodbye to All That (2002) (McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales anthology edited by Michael Chabon)
* Loose Cannon, or Rubber Duckies from Space (2004) (Amazing Stories issue 603)
* Prologue to the Endeavor: Luck be a Lady Tonight (2006) (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction September issue)
and How Interesting: A Tiny Man.

Just throwing the idea out there in case someone wants to start it at some point, rather than report on "old stuff" or wait for the actual book to appear.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm

2/3 of the way through S.K. It's a quick read, but my daily reading time is limited and I'm trying to take it a little slow.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 am

Hey! I might have something to say here pretty soon! Stay tuned. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Even though I have read Ellison many times I tend to forget how the stories went...lol

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat May 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Updated the guide to Glass Teat some more. One or two short reviews coming up.

I think we should have a general comics thread so we can talk about Phantom and Spirit when they come out. Someone else can open it anytime and start with commenting on any HE comic they happen to want to (re)read. Give us some general info and point out what you liked and disliked etc. Alternatively, just a list of what comics he has written would be helpful for starters.

I also think it would be fun if some people did basic or elaborate track-by-track (critical and/or informatory) commentary on their choice of On the Road & Edge in My Voice CDs. They deserve to be covered here in some way, but no one needs to do it alone. Again, lists of contents would be a start but can always be added later.

The same goes for any story and book we haven't talked about, including ESSAY books (look at my Glass Teat guide for inspiration).

Postings can be changed, typos be fixed, not a problem.

I'll also ask in the Pavilion soon.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Mark has posted comments on "Punky & the Yale Men" that I moved to the LOVE AIN'T... thread. I salute him. I haven't read the story and won't have an opportunity for several weeks.

I will also add a thread on "Corpse" and may add one for "A Prayer for No One's Enemy".

The first is from Deathbird Stories, not sure about the second right now (Love Ain't..., I think).

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Jan,

Thanks for the help and for moving it to the proper place

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:56 am

Hi, guys and gals. Not so much intimidated by you all as respectful enough to have text in hand when i sit down to write a review/response. Also there is a lot of Harlan I haven't read yet. or have not read for awhile. Also, I lost my copy of Angry Candy last year in a tragic mishap in a john in L.A. :cry: And I think I left my brain in San Francisco, though i do not remember being there. Lori, Gwyn, if you run across it, could u forward it. Just gotta pull all these threads together, then I will post as happily here as there. My threads not these threads. Did that make sense? Diane

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 am

Diane

I have a big glob of grey matter sitting on a shelf in my room. I found it a few weeks ago. I don't know who it belongs to, but I'm more than willing to send it your way. I tried using it, and my own brain just decided it didn't want strangers around and quit working in protest.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 pm

[cue Tony Bennett] 'I left my Braaaain, in San FranCISco'

Diane, you're welcome to what's left of mine after all the psych meds have taken their toll... :lol:

Jan, I'd be willing to take on the review of the "On the Road", but I'm a terrible improvisational writer and could use some help. How should I start?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: On the Road with H.E.
It's time we did at least put something about one of the CD's here because they are available to interested parties and put money in the right pockets. Whoever does it should do it the way that feels right to them. Everything can be fixed, modified and expanded easily later, so the important thing is not to worry too much. Let the CD speak to you, listen to your thoughts - the material and structure for any sort of review and discussion should present itself. I think our main aim here is to catalogue things (what it's about, where to find it, when it came out, what we know about its genesis etc.) and to add our personal honest views, short or long: about the subject matter and/or about the way it's delivered (quality/qualities/problems). I think it's best to "review" the CD's track by track (over time, perhaps in small doses). Incidentally, there may be a quote or two one could extract. Those would be my ideas.

Many years ago Loftus wrote a short review of Vol. 1.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Jan wrote:Re: On the Road with H.E.
It's time we did at least put something about one of the CD's here because they are available to interested parties and put money in the right pockets. Whoever does it should do it the way that feels right to them. Everything can be fixed, modified and expanded easily later, so the important thing is not to worry too much. Let the CD speak to you, listen to your thoughts - the material and structure for any sort of review and discussion should present itself. I think our main aim here is to catalogue things (what it's about, where to find it, when it came out, what we know about its genesis etc.) and to add our personal honest views, short or long: about the subject matter and/or about the way it's delivered (quality/qualities/problems). I think it's best to "review" the CD's track by track (over time, perhaps in small doses). Incidentally, there may be a quote or two one could extract. Those would be my ideas.

Many years ago Loftus wrote a short review of Vol. 1.

I love David's writing -- so clear and lean. OK, I'll give it a shot! :) I think since David's already covered Volume 1, I'll concentrate on Vols. 2 & 3. Jan, I'll need to lean on you for your editorial expertise, and probably may shoot some things past David and/or Mark for readability and clarity critiques as well.

Jan, should I e-mail you the reviews or just post them here?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “Literary Symposium”